Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to work tempered hardboard?

I've made some bins for my CD collection (and larger ones
for DVDs) with drawer-like construction techniques. The
front and back are one-inch (nominal) lumber, but for sidewalls
and bottom, I've used tempered hardboard (like we used to call Masonite).

To hold the sidewalls to front and back, a rabbet and glue with some pin
nails does the trick, though assembling it isn't a neat process. Front
and back can take a dado to capture the bottom, but the sidewalls
are only 1/8" thick, so to hold the bottom, I made tab-in-slot features
with several 1" long slots in the sides, and with a dado blade cut into
the bottoms (as a clamped-up stack) to form the tabs.

The problem: hardboard isn't what my tools are intended for. A
1/8" diameter carbide router bit, and a Rotozip-style side-cutting drill,
make ragged slots (and it's not clear that the steel tool isn't overheating).
A table saw leaves a furry edge (OK, that cleans up, by hand, with
some sandpaper, but... it's a nuisance). I can apply a bit of shellac on
the furry edges, then iron them flat with the old Proctor-Silex appliance,
but one must be careful about the glue-surfaces.

Oddly, a brad-point drill makes a perfectly clean cut (to start the slot),
so there's ONE tool that isn't a mismatch to this material.

My two questions:
is there a way to form those tabs that doesn't turn
so much material into sawdust (probably not, but I've gotta ask),
and
HOW can I make a clean slot in what is essentially just heavy paper?
There's metal punch/die sets that could do it, but the supporting
press tooling isn't gonna fit in the basement.

I can imagine a nibbler tool to form the tabs, but bandsaw (I've tried it)
is slow compared to stacks fed to the dado blade in the table saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote:

[...]

Have you tried scoring the cut line with a knife first?

Really sharp tools will help a lot, but most edges are angled for
longevity and not ease of slicing. I wonder if an ATB blade will help?

I usually cut with a saw and just deal with the edges.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 10:54:32 AM UTC-7, Puckdropper wrote:
whit3rd wrote:

I've made some bins ...[with] tempered hardboard (like we used to call Masonite).

HOW can I make a clean slot in what is essentially just heavy paper?

Have you tried scoring the cut line with a knife first?

It's usually a problem on the long-dimension rip on a 4x8 foot sheet,
so the scoring would involve a modification to a table saw (possible, but
messy) or some really long straightedge for guidance.
I'm considering a narrow-kerf blade in a zero clearance throat plate (very thin material,
otherwise I'm uncomfortable with narrow-kerf solutions).

Really sharp tools will help a lot, but most edges are angled for
longevity and not ease of slicing. I wonder if an ATB blade will help?

Yes, a rip blade WOULD be a better (than combo) for this; currently, the plan is
to do those cuts with a track saw, and I'm not sure I have the rip-blade option
in my stack of small blades. It's worth looking into, thanks for the suggestion.
Zero-clearance throat plate in the track saw?

Aerosol shellac on the edges, and a lick with a hot iron, is the fallback solution.
For preference, don't try this with a good teflon surface iron: there's some abrasion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 4:19:42 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
[...]

I find myself placing either masking or blue painters tape centered on both sides of the cut line...seems to reduce the rough edges a bit, especially with masonite door undercuts...
Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote:

[...]

Has anyone tried using a Triple Chip Grind (TCG) blade for cutting this stuff?
It works wonders on some materials.