Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cross-grain thru planer?

How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel cross-grain thru my planer?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2019 2:08 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel cross-grain thru my planer?

What species and what shape are your knives?

Pretty high regardless altho very sharp and very slow and very thin can
minimize in non ring-porous species.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 3:08:24 PM UTC-4, Gramps' shop wrote:
How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel cross-grain thru my planer?

Haven't done this, but have seen recommendations that you allow for sacrificial lumber fore and aft of the panel...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2019 2:08 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel cross-grain thru my planer?

Not all wood has grain that goes the length of the board. A lot
actually curves around a knot or where a limb may have been. Do you get
tear out on those type boards? If so you will get it also going cross
grain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2019 2:17 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/31/2019 2:08 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel
cross-grain thru my planer?

What species and what shape are your knives?

Pretty high regardless altho very sharp and very slow and very thin can
minimize in non ring-porous species.

OBTW...presuming your panel is at least somewhat smaller than the planer
capacity, use as much of an angle as you can rather than running thru
directly at 90 degrees...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2019 3:08 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel cross-grain thru my planer?

More likely than planing with the grain. Less likely with a segmented,
spiral cutter head... Super thin cuts, and super sharp blades would be a
must I'd think...

--
Jack