DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thread checker (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/629798-re-thread-checker.html)

Martin Eastburn January 23rd 19 03:21 AM

Thread checker

A endmill takes some power to cut with. In a lathe one takes light cuts
at the correct
surface speed. A taig may not be enough mass to keep it working well.

I assume you have a tool post vice. And you are using the compound to
slot..... moving work into and away from the mill.

I have an 11x44 and it came with two precision chucks. It is a nice
Horse Power or so on it
and is oversized to stay cool. The ways are chrome which make it like
new. One of the
items I bought was a nice digital indicator.

Martin

On 1/1/2019 6:16 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in :

tubalcain has *3* full size lathes (he seems to prefer the
Craftsman Atlas for his smaller work). And it's hard to see how
you can have a lathe and not also have a mill... I mean, it's
like a natural pair... ; )

You can put an endmill in the lathe and use it as a mill, but it doesn't
seem to work all that well. At least it didn't on my little Taig. It
seems to me that milling on the lathe is more of a "checkbox" feature than
anything actually useful.

Puckdropper