DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/606964-say-good-bye-hitachi-name.html)

Leon[_7_] March 14th 18 02:24 PM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

-MIKE- March 14th 18 03:01 PM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

Interesting! I've always been intrigued by the Metabo brand.
Funny that Hitachi buys the company for name recognition, but folks in
the US (for the most part) have never heard of Metabo but everyone knows
Hitachi. Apparently, they want more of the Euro market.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Leon[_7_] March 14th 18 04:02 PM

On 3/14/2018 10:01 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

Interesting!Â*Â* I've always been intrigued by the Metabo brand.
Funny that Hitachi buys the company for name recognition, but folks in
the US (for the most part) have never heard of Metabo but everyone knows
Hitachi.Â*Â* Apparently, they want more of the Euro market.

Yes very interesting. But my thoughts, I have known about Metabo,
probably longer than Festool. I knew it was an upper end brand, German
IIRC. IMHO Hitachi has always been a good value tool but again IMHO did
not ever have unique features, other then their tools looking a lot like
a fancy design tennis shoe. Perhaps, like you said, they want to profit
more from Euro sales of Metabo products. Hopefully the Hitachi built
tools with the Metabo name plate will retain the same quality and
features that the Metabo brand has offered in the past. One might
imagine that Hitachi hopes to boost sales with the Metabo name plate
here in the US.

[email protected] March 14th 18 05:15 PM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:01:44 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

Interesting! I've always been intrigued by the Metabo brand.
Funny that Hitachi buys the company for name recognition, but folks in
the US (for the most part) have never heard of Metabo but everyone knows
Hitachi. Apparently, they want more of the Euro market.

....and less of the US market.

[email protected] March 14th 18 05:18 PM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Unless they market more of their tools here, I don't see that
happening. I wouldn't buy a Metabo nailer unless there was a wide
variety of other tools for sale right next to it.

My Hitachi framing nailer does resemble a tennierunner. ;-)

Leon[_7_] March 14th 18 05:57 PM

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

It seems most major cities, at least in Texas, has a Metabo service
center. There are multiple on-line sources, including Amazon, that sell
their products. Looking at their web page they offer, a variety of
drills, grinders, track saws, vacs, etc.

My Hitachi framing nailer does resemble a tennierunner. ;-)

[email protected] March 15th 18 12:48 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I've seen nowhere that I can actually touch one. Festools are
"everywhere".

Leon[_7_] March 15th 18 03:34 AM

On 3/14/2018 7:48 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:57:44 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

No, That will be the rub, they may not be available to touch until the
Hitachi tools have the new name plate. ;~) I remember when Festool was
pretty much the same, about 11~12 years ago.

[email protected] March 15th 18 08:52 PM

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 9:24:48 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

I've known about Hitachi for awhile. Air nailers and miter saws were the two most common Hitachi tools. Always considered them construction crew tools. Not fine woodworking tools used inside a shop. Always use them outside in the rain and dirt making houses, never furniture. Never heard of Metabo until pretty recently. Had heard of Hilti before Metabo. Got lucky (Ha Ha) being introduced to Festool about 10 years ago when a big tool store in town brought them in and had a big sale on them. I guess back then the no sale prices on Festool rule, everyone must sell the tools at the exact same price rule, was not as rigidly enforced by Festool.

Metabo HPT (Hitachi Power Tools).

Leon[_7_] March 15th 18 09:11 PM

On 3/15/2018 3:52 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 9:24:48 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

I've known about Hitachi for awhile. Air nailers and miter saws were the two most common Hitachi tools. Always considered them construction crew tools. Not fine woodworking tools used inside a shop. Always use them outside in the rain and dirt making houses, never furniture. Never heard of Metabo until pretty recently. Had heard of Hilti before Metabo. Got lucky (Ha Ha) being introduced to Festool about 10 years ago when a big tool store in town brought them in and had a big sale on them. I guess back then the no sale prices on Festool rule, everyone must sell the tools at the exact same price rule, was not as rigidly enforced by Festool.

Metabo HPT (Hitachi Power Tools).

I recall Lowe's selling Hitachi Table Saws, Miter Saws, Drills, and
probably 15-20+ years ago the Canadian father and son show, The Router
Workshop, almost exclusively used Hitachi routers. It seems back in the
late 90's many on this news group had Hitachi routers hanging in a
router table.

I probably heard about Metabo about 25 years ago. IIRC Steve Night Tool
Works used Metabo drills.

I think Festool went with fixed pricing when they quit selling direct to
the customer. But you can still get discount pricing on Festool Tools
if you buy combinations of tools. I got a significant discount when
buying the Dust Extractor and buying another power tool, in my case the
Domino, to go with it. When I bought the Kapex, it's mobile cart plus
the left and right wing extensions I got a discount on the cart and wing
extensions. If you bought the cart and both wing extensions as a
combination you paid the same price as the cart and 1 wing extension.

Markem[_2_] March 15th 18 10:28 PM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

So what name will the Magic Wand be, it is a tool you know?

[email protected] March 16th 18 12:32 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 22:34:07 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/14/2018 7:48 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:57:44 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

We'll see. When Metabo has their tractor-trailer at Highland and
gives away batteries, I may show up and try out their tools. ;-)

[email protected] March 16th 18 12:34 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 13:52:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 9:24:48 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power...5c6e ecb92632

I've known about Hitachi for awhile. Air nailers and miter saws were the two most common Hitachi tools. Always considered them construction crew tools. Not fine woodworking tools used inside a shop. Always use them outside in the rain and dirt making houses, never furniture. Never heard of Metabo until pretty recently. Had heard of Hilti before Metabo. Got lucky (Ha Ha) being introduced to Festool about 10 years ago when a big tool store in town brought them in and had a big sale on them. I guess back then the no sale prices on Festool rule, everyone must sell the tools at the exact same price rule, was not as rigidly enforced by Festool.

Festool does run sales occasionally. I've bought a few of their tools
on sale.

Metabo HPT (Hitachi Power Tools).

[email protected] March 16th 18 12:37 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:11:42 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/15/2018 3:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Lowes still sells Hitachi tools.

I probably heard about Metabo about 25 years ago. IIRC Steve Night Tool
Works used Metabo drills.

I've certainly heard of them but have never seen one in the wild.

I think Festool went with fixed pricing when they quit selling direct to
the customer. But you can still get discount pricing on Festool Tools
if you buy combinations of tools. I got a significant discount when
buying the Dust Extractor and buying another power tool, in my case the
Domino, to go with it. When I bought the Kapex, it's mobile cart plus
the left and right wing extensions I got a discount on the cart and wing
extensions. If you bought the cart and both wing extensions as a
combination you paid the same price as the cart and 1 wing extension.

They've run sales every once in a while, too. I've bought a few tools
on sale. Remember the Pro-5 sale? ;-)

[email protected] March 16th 18 03:10 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

By sale price on Festool I mean every vendor is free to sell the tool at a different price. Today every online seller, and every store in person sells every Festool for the exact same price. No one varies that price by $1 or $10 or $25. All exactly the same. I know Festool has reduced prices sort of when you combine a vacuum and big tool. Or a track saw and a track. Price is less than if you bought each item separately. But that is not what I am talking about when I say sale price. And all of these combination prices are the exact same with every single retailer. No one varies the bundled price by even $1. All are required, instructed by Festool to sell every single Festool tool at the prescribed MSRP that Festool states. In contrast, do a Google search for a Makita or DeWalt SCMS. You will have 20 Amazon vendors selling the saws for 20 different prices. And clicking on various Google links will turn up 25 other vendors all with different prices for the same SCMS. With Festool, every Kapex is sold for the exact same price no matter who or where you buy it. No freedom for the vendor to distinguish based on price.

Just imagine if GM or Ford or Fiat told every car dealer selling their brand that they will only sell the cars/trucks for the price on the sticker. No dickering, no bargaining with customers. If you do then your car dealer lot will be closed before the sun sets and every car will be taken back and you will be sued in court. I'm guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars. But somehow its allowed for tools.

Bill[_91_] March 16th 18 03:39 AM

wrote:

Just imagine if GM or Ford or Fiat told every car dealer selling their brand that they will only sell the cars/trucks for the price on the sticker. No dickering, no bargaining with customers. If you do then your car dealer lot will be closed before the sun sets and every car will be taken back and you will be sued in court. I'm guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars. But somehow its allowed for tools.

If they were the only tool supplier, I believe things would be
different. Festool does not have a monopoly (except on Festool tools),
as there are plenty of suitably-equivalent tools.

[email protected] March 16th 18 06:51 AM

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 10:39:37 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
wrote:

Just imagine if GM or Ford or Fiat told every car dealer selling their brand that they will only sell the cars/trucks for the price on the sticker.. No dickering, no bargaining with customers. If you do then your car dealer lot will be closed before the sun sets and every car will be taken back and you will be sued in court. I'm guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars. But somehow its allowed for tools.

If they were the only tool supplier, I believe things would be
different. Festool does not have a monopoly (except on Festool tools),
as there are plenty of suitably-equivalent tools.

Not sure what you mean. Ford, GM, Fiat all make cars/trucks that compete with each other. Add in Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Hundai, Kia from Asia. And add in BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo from Europe. No car dealer has a monopoly. But you can and do negotiate an individual price from every car dealer for every brand. DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable all have different prices for every tool from all the different vendors selling these brands. Only Festool has one price no matter who sells it. It is the oddball out here.

After rereading your post I think I might grasp what you are saying. Maybe.. But how can Festool control its retailers and no other company or product in the USA can exercise the same control? If Festool owned, controlled everyone who sells its products, then yes they can dictate prices. But all of the vendors for Festool are privately owned businesses. They are not Festool owned sellers, distributors. All of these companies sell Festool and a thousand other items. And I'm sure they compete on price with everyone else on all these other items. I guess SawStop is similar to Festool. I think, not positive, that SawStop also dictates a price for every saw they sell and that is the price. No competition for SawStop on price. Odd that Festool now owns SawStop.

Bill[_91_] March 16th 18 07:22 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but evidently, if you wish to be a Festool dealer you have to
follow Festool's rules. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know anything
about the legality of fixing a uniform price. Below you say that
Festool now owns SawStop. I didn't realize that. It makes perfect sense
though to me, based upon the price-point of the products. Marketing will
be easier--"economies of scale", and all that...

Bill

DerbyDad03 March 16th 18 11:18 AM

wrote:

[...]

If I'm not mistaken, Ariens, of snow blower fame, does the same thing.

They set the regular price and they tell the vendors when to run a sale and set those prices too.

I'd bet there are other companies that do the same thing,

J. Clarke[_5_] March 16th 18 11:22 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 20:10:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

You mean like Saturn and Tesla were "closed before the sun sets and
every car taken back and sued in court"?

I'm guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars. But somehow its
allowed for tools.

It is not illegal for a manufacturer to require resellers to charge a
specific price for a product. What is illegal is for manufacturers to
get together and decide that they are _all_ going to charge the same
price for a kind of product.

Leon[_7_] March 16th 18 03:17 PM

On 3/15/2018 7:32 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 22:34:07 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/14/2018 7:48 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:57:44 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/14/18 9:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah!

Leon[_7_] March 16th 18 03:19 PM

On 3/15/2018 7:37 PM, wrote:

They've run sales every once in a while, too. I've bought a few tools
on sale. Remember the Pro-5 sale? ;-)

No, what was that?

I will say that when a new tool came out there would be an introductory
discount. I took advantage of that with the Domino. I'm not sure if
they still do this or not.

Leon[_7_] March 16th 18 03:30 PM

On 3/15/2018 10:10 PM, wrote:

[...]

I am well aware of that. Rockler used to sell Festool, I heard that
they discounted the price and Festool pulled the plug. Rockler no
longer sells Festool.

And really and truly I prefer fixed pricing. I appreciate being able to
support my local supplier with out having to worry if I could get it for
less somewhere else.

Just imagine if GM or Ford or Fiat told every car dealer selling their brand that they will only sell the cars/trucks for the price on the sticker. No dickering, no bargaining with customers. If you do then your car dealer lot will be closed before the sun sets and every car will be taken back and you will be sued in court. I'm guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars. But somehow its allowed for tools.

Well actually GM Saturn had fixed pricing. You paid sticker for any new
Saturn. Saturn is gone now and that is a shame, I understood that they
were probably the better build GM vehicles. Saturn disappeared when GM
almost disappeared 10 years ago. If Saturn was building and selling
trucks they would probably still be around today. Small cars are not as
profitable as their larger cousins.

I would imagine that to become a SawStop or Festool dealer you probably
sign a contract that says that you will sell at suggested retail pricing
or lose your license to sell their products.

Leon[_7_] March 16th 18 03:37 PM

wrote:

[...]

As mentioned on another post, GM's Saturn line of vehicles only sold for
sticker. there was no negotiation on the price of the car as built by
Saturn. You could negotiate dealer add ons.

DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable all have different prices for
every tool from all the different vendors selling these brands. Only
Festool has one price no matter who sells it. It is the oddball out here.

SawStop also has fixed pricing. The other manufacturers allow discount
pricing because they want to up the volume of sales. And that typically
affects build quality.

After rereading your post I think I might grasp what you are saying. Maybe. But how can Festool control its retailers and no other company or product in the USA can exercise the same control? If Festool owned, controlled everyone who sells its products, then yes they can dictate prices. But all of the vendors for Festool are privately owned businesses. They are not Festool owned sellers, distributors. All of these companies sell Festool and a thousand other items. And I'm sure they compete on price with everyone else on all these other items. I guess SawStop is similar to Festool. I think, not positive, that SawStop also dictates a price for every saw they sell and that is the price. No competition for SawStop on price. Odd that Festool now owns SawStop.

Actually I think the company that owns Festool bought SawStop.
TTS Tooltechnic Systems

Leon[_7_] March 16th 18 03:41 PM

wrote:

Just imagine if GM or Ford or Fiat told every car dealer selling
their brand that they will only sell the cars/trucks for the price
on the sticker.Â* No dickering, no bargaining with customers.Â* If you
do then your car dealer lot will be closed before the sun sets and
every car will be taken back and you will be sued in court.Â* I'm
guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars.Â* But somehow its
allowed for tools.

If they were the only tool supplier, I believe things would be
different.Â* Festool does not have a monopoly (except on Festool tools),
as there are plenty of suitably-equivalent tools.

Not sure what you mean.Â* Ford, GM, Fiat all make cars/trucks that
compete with each other.Â* Add in Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru,
Hundai, Kia from Asia.Â* And add in BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Audi,
Volvo from Europe.Â* No car dealer has a monopoly.Â* But you can and do
negotiate an individual price from every car dealer for every brand.
DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable all have different prices for
every tool from all the different vendors selling these brands.Â* Only
Festool has one price no matter who sells it.Â* It is the oddball out
here.

After rereading your post I think I might grasp what you are saying.
Maybe.Â* But how can Festool control its retailers and no other company
or product in the USA can exercise the same control?Â* If Festool
owned, controlled everyone who sells its products, then yes they can
dictate prices.Â* But all of the vendors for Festool are privately
owned businesses.

Yes, but evidently, if you wish to be a Festool dealer you have to
follow Festool's rules. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know anything
about the legality of fixing a uniform price.Â* Below you say that
Festool now owns SawStop.Â* I didn't realize that. It makes perfect sense
though to me, based upon the price-point of the products. Marketing will
be easier--"economies of scale", and all that...

The inventor/developer of the SawStop was a lawyer. I think the
monopoly thing is if the dealers agree to fix pricing and that is where
there problem comes in. They also probably sign a contract with the
manufacturer to sell at suggested retail or loose their license to sell
their products.

Bill

They are not Festool owned sellers, distributors.Â* All of these
companies sell Festool and a thousand other items.Â* And I'm sure they
compete on price with everyone else on all these other items.Â* I guess
SawStop is similar to Festool.Â* I think, not positive, that SawStop also
dictates a price for every saw they sell and that is the price.Â* No
competition for SawStop on price.Â* Odd that Festool now owns SawStop.

Bill[_91_] March 16th 18 08:46 PM

Leon wrote:

I would imagine that to become a SawStop or Festool dealer you probably
sign a contract that says that you will sell at suggested retail pricing
or lose your license to sell their products.

Or, maybe all it takes is a clause that Festool can rescind your
privilege to retail their products at any time, or for any reason.

[email protected] March 17th 18 12:09 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

http://toolguyd.com/festool-pro-5-ltd-sander-deal/

I will say that when a new tool came out there would be an introductory
discount. I took advantage of that with the Domino. I'm not sure if
they still do this or not.

I bought my CT48 on a 20% (IIRC) sale, without buying a tool. At
least two of my other tools were on sale. They used to run a sale
once a year, or so.

[email protected] March 17th 18 12:16 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

wrote:

[...]

Remember Saturn? They tried the one price fits all. There's nothing
stopping Ford from doing it, except bankruptcy.

The reason Festool controls price is that it entices their retailers
to sell by service, rather than price. It's why I buy from Highland
rather than Amazon (or even Woodcraft). Highland does a better job of
stocking and selling. OTOH, if I could save a Franklin, I'd likely
buy from Amazon, or even gack eBay.

After rereading your post I think I might grasp what you are saying. Maybe. But how can Festool control its retailers and no other company or product in the USA can exercise the same control? If Festool owned, controlled everyone who sells its products, then yes they can dictate prices. But all of the vendors for Festool are privately owned businesses. They are not Festool owned sellers, distributors. All of these companies sell Festool and a thousand other items. And I'm sure they compete on price with everyone else on all these other items. I guess SawStop is similar to Festool. I think, not positive, that SawStop also dictates a price for every saw they sell and that is the price. No competition for SawStop on price. Odd that Festool now owns SawStop.

Others don't *choose* to control their retailers. Festool certainly
isn't unique, either.

[email protected] March 17th 18 12:18 AM

Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:41:31 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Correct. Both parties agree to the contract. What's the problem?

Markem[_2_] March 17th 18 01:02 AM

wrote:

[...]

Having a set retail price also offers the retailer a set margin.

Bill[_91_] March 17th 18 01:09 AM

wrote:

[...]

That would make more sense to me if the product was sold online only.
Certainly the costs to be retailer in CA differ from those in OH, and
the former could probably deal with the higher margins better. Think of
the cost of the tool as a percentage of the price of a typical house in
an area.

[email protected] March 17th 18 02:00 AM

wrote:

[...]

OTOH, where housing prices are high, wages tend to also be high. High
wages allow high-priced toys so they may sell more.

Bill[_91_] March 17th 18 03:04 AM

wrote:

[...]

That's exactly the point I was making. Maybe it would make sense to
retail some for less in OH where the cost of conducting business isn't
as high... That's sort of the equilibrium for an unregulated market, I
think.

[email protected] March 17th 18 03:12 AM

wrote:

[...]

My point was that there may be a comparable profit between the two.
The retailer in the not-so-expensive area can't sell as many units but
he doesn't have to. The opposite is also likely. However, there
isn't a lot of incentive to sell (buy, really) in the other's
territory.

DerbyDad03 March 17th 18 03:30 AM

wrote:

[...]

Some folks will drive quite a distance to get a better price, especially if they can combine the
trip with other reasons. Trying to set prices in neighboring areas such that one area doesn't
steal customers from the other can be quite a chore. Try doing that all across the country and
not harm any given retailer.

Bill[_91_] March 17th 18 03:30 AM

wrote:

[...]

As far as I'm concerned, they can sell them for whatever they want since
I'm not in their target audience. I watched some interesting videos on
YouTube this week, for car salesman, on "Closing the sale and getting
the sticker price". Festool's philosophy appears to be not so much
different.

[email protected] March 17th 18 03:40 AM

wrote:

[...]

Wah! I can't afford Festool! Good grief, they're not comparable at
all.

Bill[_91_] March 17th 18 03:49 AM

wrote:

Wah! I can't afford Festool! Good grief, they're not comparable at
all.

I bought myself a belt/disk sander for Christmas on sale for $80.
That's my idea of fun. : ) If it turns out I really use it, I can
always upgrade it.

DerbyDad03 March 17th 18 12:37 PM

wrote:

[...]

Car case: Product has an MSRP on the sticker. The S stands for "suggested". Suggested implies
negotiable. A slimy sales dweep talks some poor slug into paying full price. The next customer
is more savvy than the last. (S)he buys the same car for thousands less.

Festool case: That's the price. Non-negotiable. The salesman says "Would you like to buy it?"

How are those things "not so much different"?

Bill[_91_] March 17th 18 05:43 PM

wrote:

[...]

The manufacturer is playing the role of the "slimy sales dweep"?