Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what to use for giant "cork" board?

My daughter wants a giant pin board. There are online "tutorials" on how
to make one with sheet foam insulation covered in cloth. That's the sort
of design she would want. I'd rather not buy the styrofoam sheets, as
I'm not keen on the foam mess from them. And since it won't show, real
cork seems like an expensive way to go.

I have seen a compressed paper pulp product, like particle board but
softer, and colored like newprint, used for this sort of thing in the
past. I just don't know what it is called or who sells it.

Searching online I found a UK product called Sunseala that seems very
similar. It does not seem to be available in California. Lowes and Home
Depot have plenty of sheet styrofoam and MDF but I don't see that
paper-pulpy stuff.

Looking to cover about 7' x 7' with whatever I use. What's the product I
should look for?

Elijah
------
recently spackled a lot of holes and repainted
Posted to rec.woodworking

Eli the Bearded wrote:

[...]

Perhaps Homasote? (sound-proofing board)

https://www.menards.com/main/search....earch=Homasote
https://www.schoolofdecorating.com/2...oard-tutorial/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 5:18:58 PM UTC-6, Eli the Bearded wrote:
My daughter wants a giant pin board.
Looking to cover about 7' x 7' with whatever I use. What's the product I
should look for?

Elijah
------
recently spackled a lot of holes and repainted

Hows about plain cardboard (double ply), attached to 1/4" luan. Large sheets can be had, for free, from furniture or appliance stores. Smear a little glue between the sheets and tape them (edges butted) against one another. Cover with fabric and frame. If/when the cardboard becomes too perforated (similarly as the styrofoam mess?), and that should take a good while, simply replace with new.

For more support, you could apply thin (Muslin! Usually about $1 a yard) fabric on top of the cardboard and finish with a few coats of BLO (or lacquer or shellac), i.e., that's what "oilcloth" is, then apply your finish fabric (after the oilcloth dries). The oilcloth topping/sealant will be less likely to break down, as the plain cardboard/styrofoam may. You could even apply the oilcloth between the cardboard plies, rather than on top.

Check with your local school district, see if they will be replacing chalk/pin boards anytime soon.... salvage the old ones.

More info for your daughter's consideration: Just a thought....
No matter what product/backing you use for the pin board, plan your finish fabric topping, in that, you are not likely to find a 7' wide piece of fabric without a sewn seam. Plan your design to make the seam (or seams) part of the design, as best you can, otherwise the seam(s) may be unsightly. Maybe apply a gimp trim, to cover up any unsightly seams, if need be. Then again, maybe a seam won't matter, at all.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 23:18:56 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

[...]

Spalted Walt suggested Homasote--that's my first thought as well. If
you can't find that, another option might be acoustic ceiling tiles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 6:18:58 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at Dow Foil Backed Tuff-R insulation boards?

You used the term "styrofoam sheets" but that could cover lots of different
materials, if used generically. The foil backed Tuff-R is made with closed
cell "High-performance polyisocyanurate foam core"

https://images.lowes.ca/img/p400/142...7007089_ca.jpg

I made an attic pull-down stair insulation box from the 2" foil backed
Tuff-R insulation and it is some pretty sturdy stuff. Take some push-pins
to the home center to see how well they hold.

If it's going to be covered with fabric, it might be the way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, Spalted Walt wrote:
Eli the Bearded wrote:
I have seen a compressed paper pulp product, like particle board but
softer, and colored like newprint, used for this sort of thing in the
past. I just don't know what it is called or who sells it.

Perhaps Homasote? (sound-proofing board)
https://www.menards.com/main/search....earch=Homasote
https://www.schoolofdecorating.com/2...oard-tutorial/

That's the stuff, thanks. And sound-proofing will be a nice extra, even
if it's not for the whole wall.

http://www.homasote.com/wheretobuy?d...an+Fr ancisco

Discount Builder's Supply "will special order", and I like them. Good
local non-chain option.

Elijah
------
suspects shipping from a Menards would not be cheap
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:25:32
-0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

recently spackled a lot of holes and repainted

Spalted Walt suggested Homasote--that's my first thought as well. If
you can't find that, another option might be acoustic ceiling tiles.

I made a lot of panels using that stuff. Of course, it was part
of the job, but - acoustic / ceiling tile material can be gotten in
large sheets.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, Sonny wrote:
Hows about plain cardboard (double ply), attached to 1/4" luan.

That is an option I had not considered. I was vaguely thinking foamboard
(used in art projects), but cardboard would be cheaper. Now that I know
what the stuff is called (Spalted: "Homasote"), I won't need to go to
that length.

Check with your local school district, see if they will be replacing
chalk/pin boards anytime soon.... salvage the old ones.

Already have a chalk board from when they went to white boards. I don't
think the bulletin boards ever get replaced.

No matter what product/backing you use for the pin board, plan your
finish fabric topping, in that, you are not likely to find a 7' wide
piece of fabric without a sewn seam.

This is the easiest part.

A) I already have[*] bolts of thin fabric wide enough.
B) I already have[*] bolts of very stretchy fabric in 5' widths.
C) Both my daughter and wife own their own sewing machines and can
handle making a seam look intentional.
D) Whatever method gets picked, my daughter will do it herself.
(That's the real reason it's easy.)
[*] I have in the sense that my wife has it in her unused fabric
stockpile. My wife designs sewing patterns, and my daughter is
learning costuming (theatre tech). She was just complaining to
me today about people unable to correctly cut a 6' wide curtain
remembering the extra needed for hemming.

Elijah
------
thanks to Burning Man people, San Francisco has great bulk fabric options
Posted to rec.woodworking

Eli the Bearded wrote in
:

[...]

If you can't find Homasote, ask a model railroad shop or club in your
area. Homasote is often used for model railroads; model railoaders like
how it takes and holds track spikes and nails.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2017 6:18 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
[...]

Search some more. This popped up when I googled for "homasote", an
old-school sheathing material. I'd imagine Lowes has the equivalent.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sound-Ba...6136/202090212

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2017 12:01 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Eli the Bearded wrote in
:

[...]

That was my first experience with the stuff -- back in the late 1950s when
my father built a platform for my train stuff. It was also popular because,
when used with the big 'O' gauge trains, it dampened the noise quite
effectively -- plywood would have just been a big sounding board.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-11-28, J Clarke wrote:

I have seen a compressed paper pulp product, like particle board but
softer, and colored like newprint, used for this sort of thing in the
past. I just don't know what it is called or who sells it.

Lee Valley sells something they call "Tree Leather". Kinda sounds
like it might be what yer looking for.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,2260,47776,73769&p=73724

That 'compressed paper' stuff is NOT new.

I bought a pair of saddle bags fer my Harley Sporster, way back in the
90s, mainly cuz they were so cheap. Turns out the reason fer the low
price was, they were made of some kinda compressed paper, not 'latigo'
leather, like I originally thought.

Those bags, despite losing a coupla' cheapo paper 'straps', lasted way
longer than I expected. I eventually sold the bike (about 10 yrs
later) WITH those same bags (yes, I informed the new owner). Those
waaaay cheapo "paper" bags were oil/gas soaked (iron-head Sporster)
and scuffed/scrapped, but still did their intended job and held their
original shape. I was forever amazed!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Homasote's great for backing up dartboards, too-- nice give, easy to find, cheaper and generally thicker than cork, and won't ruin your steel tips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Eli the Bearded wrote:

Looking to cover about 7' x 7' with whatever I use. What's the
product I should look for?

why not just cork squares over thin ply

the foam insulation is lighter of course

not sure what homasote is made of but some of the backings are
not bug proof

that is to say moths and other things will settle on it