Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ASTRONOMICAL!

Happy for the folks in Houston. They've been through a lot. Deserve
some joy.

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/a...-series-game-7
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/2017 8:16 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Happy for the folks in Houston. They've been through a lot. Deserve
some joy.

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/a...-series-game-7

LOL. Oh joy..... Our local highly successful home grown furniture
store, Gallery Furniture, was offering a deal if the Astro's won the
championship. Buy $3K or more of bedding and if the Astro's win you get
all your money back. In late August we tippled that purchase amount but
negotiated a better than regular price, we saved $4K. Because we chose
to pay $4K less we forfeited the chance of getting a total refund on our
purchase, should the Astro's win. ;~(

BUT on the bright side had we not gotten the discount to begin with,
another store was going to give the same discount and we would not have
bought from Gallery.

AND the owner of these Gallery Furniture stores, Mattress Mac, went all
out to help Houstonians during and after the flood. So inadvertently I
was happy he gets to keep some of his wager money. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

This group of young Astros are pretty special. I know that soon on this group folks will be finding their shortcomings, diminish their achievement,maybe even claim cheating,extreme luck, doping, payoffs or some other kind of crap. That will be a real shame.

Unlike so many athletes and teams these days, those guys felt especially connected to their fans and city. First,their fans stayed with them for the last few years when they were AWFUL. But the joy of being a young man is prevalent throughout their clubhouse, and every year they thought it was "their year". They play with a certain joy and enthusiasm that is really infectious. And they really like each other and it shows. They play as a TEAM, and anyone with doubt should watch the post game interviews.

Someway they decided to actually take the "Houston Strong" campaign to heart. Unlike like wearing a ribbon or pin simply to be politically correct, many of the players made it known how much that slogan meant to them and how proud they are to have it on their uniform. It was inspiring in its own way to so many that lost so much to Harvey (including my own sister that lost everything).

They have been saying for about six weeks that they are playing for the people of Houston and they felt like the fans were counting on them to deliver.. In the end, it wasn't just baseball fans. I have several friends that live in Houston, and even those that never watch baseball were glued to the Astros and the Series, cheering them on.

The best part to me was to think that my first game seeing them was when they were the Colt 45s, and played at a ball field with wooden bleachers. I was a child, but remember it well. Then the big news was the Astrodome. I remember getting to see the Astros (new name!) in their new home a couple of times during their first year there.

And all that time, till now, no championship. I went to the Series in 2005, and it wasn't pretty, not even close.

So to see this group of young men battle it out in one of the most exciting Series I can remember and win, it IS special.

Gotta love those Spacemen!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Nov 2017 13:16:20 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Happy for the folks in Houston. They've been through a lot. Deserve
some joy.

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/a...-series-game-7

I just don't agree! :P

But they were a great team, and they earned every nickel.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02-Nov-17 10:34 AM, wrote:
This group of young Astros are pretty special. ...

Enjoy while you can; a year/team much like KC two years ago but much
happened on the way to the forum the next two years...