Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Antique Work Tables - Update

The antique work tables aren't in working order.... yet. Only one base was there, but I have several 4x4x12' ash, to make another base. The table tops are in pretty good shape, for their age.... I am pleased with their condition. The vises are in good working shape, but the faces could use some repairs/resurfacing. I have some scrap hard maple that should do the trick.

The problem areas are the underside runners and other bracings, that align and guide the vices, as they are opened and closed.
1) One vice's wooden thread guide (a threaded block the screw-shaft threads through), under the table, is broken. This might can be glued back together.
2) Almost all the underside attachments are loose, making the vices not open or close easily or properly. The screws or bolts need to be tightened and the attachments likely need to be aligned and fitted in perfect/near perfect positions. I think some fairly simple maintenance work will fix these issues.
3) All those underside wooden fittings, etc. probably would slide/glide much more smoothly after some wax and buffing is applied to the mating surfaces.

I haven't had a chance to fully assess everything in detail, but the above is the basic issues I've surmised, so for. As they are, an average buyer would think they are not worth the $610 I had bid/paid. My first impression, when seeing them, wasn't too good, either. But the table tops are still solid and heavy. The vises are intact. "Everything" seems to just need some good maintenance work and care, for them to be in good or reasonable working order.

The guy, at Baker, said they came from their Wisconsin (home) factory (which had closed) and had been stashed at the Hickory site, along with other stuff from the Wisconsin site.

I think, when they get fixed up, I'll be happy with my purchase. I simply like old tools, anyway, so I like the idea of just seeing them in my shop. I don't fish too much, anymore, so maybe I can dream up a lie, or two, to tell friends and family, as a rationale for having them or to entertain those folks.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Tell them your old grand-pappy used it to make buggy wheels.

Sounds like a good rainy day/cold day project. Half the fun of a new
tool is getting it to work like you want it to.

--
GW Ross

Work Tables Sonny Woodworking 12 July 31st 17 03:32 PM
Speaking of welding tables Howard Beal Metalworking 2 January 7th 13 07:29 PM
Possibilities with fixing SQUEAKY antique wood floor (common 1st try fixes wouldn't work) CompleteNewb Home Repair 2 June 29th 08 12:34 PM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
Finish for oak end tables Brian Turner Woodworking 41 January 22nd 04 11:45 PM