Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another solution to a non problem

http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingT...eUp/index.html

So another type a clamping accessory that prevents glue starvation.
FWIW glue starvation only happens when you don't put in enough glue to
cover the surface, not from over clamping.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/17 3:16 PM, Leon wrote:
http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingT...eUp/index.html

So another type a clamping accessory that prevents glue starvation. FWIW
glue starvation only happens when you don't put in enough glue to cover
the surface, not from over clamping.

Ok, I about lost it from laughter at 2:30-ish when he shows the
"ClampGauge" things!
Those things are like 17 bucks a piece!
Um, here's an idea.... turn your parallel clamp sideways!!!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2017 3:52 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/15/17 3:16 PM, Leon wrote:
http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingT...eUp/index.html

So another type a clamping accessory that prevents glue starvation. FWIW
glue starvation only happens when you don't put in enough glue to cover
the surface, not from over clamping.

Ok, I about lost it from laughter at 2:30-ish when he shows the
"ClampGauge" things!
Those things are like 17 bucks a piece!

Um, here's an idea.... turn your parallel clamp sideways!!!

I do that all the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/17 4:16 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/15/2017 3:52 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/15/17 3:16 PM, Leon wrote:
http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingT...eUp/index.html

So another type a clamping accessory that prevents glue starvation. FWIW
glue starvation only happens when you don't put in enough glue to cover
the surface, not from over clamping.

Ok, I about lost it from laughter at 2:30-ish when he shows the
"ClampGauge" things!
Those things are like 17 bucks a piece!

Um, here's an idea.... turn your parallel clamp sideways!!!

I do that all the time.

Yep!
Alternate 1 on top and 1 on bottom and it keeps the panel from bowing,
too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well... I think it is important to remember that not everyone channeled Krenov/Maloof/Nakashima at their first project, maybe even by the second.

Personally, I am unashamed to say that 40 plus (maybe a little more recently) years ago I have invested in something that should make my daily toil easier that just didn't work out.

That being said, just a little research on technique via Google would have served better than to try to buy one's way out of learning a skill. Many years ago I had a friend that was a manager of the local Woodcraft. I would look in amazement at all the little gadgets, jigs, shop work assistants, and unnecessary crap he sold. He agreed. But as he said, sometimes those gadgets take away the bugaboos that keep one from furthering their skill sets.

I am ashamed to say how small the hobby wood working community is here in San Antonio, but there are certainly a LOT of tool collectors. Since I work on houses, I have been in a lot of shops that have (literally) $25k worth of tools in them. Their projects? Cutting boards, bird houses, plant stands and the like that could be made with $35 worth of tools.

Different strokes for different folks!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2017 5:53 PM, wrote:
[...]

I recall my first real piece of furniture that I built was when I was
24. My to be wife and I liked to visit the "bare wood furniture" stores
and saw an inexpensive set of living room furniture. It was the stuff
that was held together by lag screws and had a sling that held the
cushions. I built that, a love seat, with a corded drill and a
Craftsman circular saw and Kim make the cushions. We used that piece
for many years.
A yesr or so after that I bought a RAS and started building furniture
that we still use today, 37 years later.

I bought a lot of tools because I was too cheap to buy furniture,
although we have bought a few pieces, dining room and chairs, and any
thing with cloth or leather on it. If it is all wood, I probably built
it and then some by selling 90% of it to order.

I have built a few cutting boards and boxes but that was mostly because
I was too cheap to buy Christmas presents. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 5:53:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I am ashamed to say how small the hobby wood working community is here in San Antonio, but there are certainly a LOT of tool collectors. Since I work on houses, I have been in a lot of shops that have (literally) $25k worth of tools in them. Their projects? Cutting boards, bird houses, plant stands and the like that could be made with $35 worth of tools.

Robert

Any guesses as to why San Antonio does not seem to be as populated by woodworkers as other parts of the US? I might admit to being in the collector category. Of course none of my collection is valuable for collecting purposes. I just happened to collect them over the years. Pretty sure I do not have $25,000 worth of tools. But if I added up the retail prices I paid for all my tools (including the mechanic tools) I might have a heart attack or two or three.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingT...eUp/index.html

So another type a clamping accessory that prevents glue starvation.
FWIW glue starvation only happens when you don't put in enough glue to
cover the surface, not from over clamping.

And how does "clampgage" prevent overclamping anyway? Put a clampgage in a
50-ton press and you've still got 50 tons of pressure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/17 3:17 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Put a clampgage in a
50-ton press and you've still got 50 tons of pressure.

That might be too much. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2017 4:16 PM, Leon wrote:
http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingT...eUp/index.html

So another type a clamping accessory that prevents glue starvation. FWIW
glue starvation only happens when you don't put in enough glue to cover
the surface, not from over clamping.

Agreed. Over clamping and under clamping is next to impossible to do.
The most common problem is over gluing, something that can be seen on
almost all Woodworking TV shows.

The best part of that worthless video was the clamping chart to tell you
where to put the clamps... Really, if you don't have enough common
sense to know where to put the clamps, you should be doing something
else, most likely watching dancing with the stars or any of a myriad of
mind numbing TV shows designed for the terminally dumb.

If one really wants to know where to put the clamps, just ask, I'll be
happy to tell them...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com