Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air bubbles - water based polyurathane

On Friday, February 28, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Phil Goode wrote:
Using Minwax water-based polyurathane on a pine desktop, I am getting lots
of small air bubbles. I stripped the top, sanded with 220 grit sandpaper,
applied stain, wiped the top with a damp rag to raise the grain, sanded
again with 220 grit. After that, I applied a thin coat of poly with a
bristle brush. After 4 hours, I sanded lightly with 440 grit and applied
second thin coat. After another 4 hours, I sanded with 440 and applied the
final coat. That coat developed quite a few tiny air bubbles. I was careful
to apply the poly slowly and with long strokes going with the grain.

Is this typical of water-based poly. I've used regular poly before and
haven't had this problem. I used water-based this time because of lack of
smell and ease of cleanup.

Any help?

Phil Goode