Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Kraus[_2_] Larry Kraus[_2_] is offline

Default Air bubbles - water based polyurathane

On 5/11/2017 3:42 PM, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Phil Goode wrote:
Using Minwax water-based polyurathane on a pine desktop, I am getting lots
of small air bubbles. I stripped the top, sanded with 220 grit sandpaper,
applied stain, wiped the top with a damp rag to raise the grain, sanded
again with 220 grit. After that, I applied a thin coat of poly with a
bristle brush. After 4 hours, I sanded lightly with 440 grit and applied
second thin coat. After another 4 hours, I sanded with 440 and applied the
final coat. That coat developed quite a few tiny air bubbles. I was careful
to apply the poly slowly and with long strokes going with the grain.

Is this typical of water-based poly. I've used regular poly before and
haven't had this problem. I used water-based this time because of lack of
smell and ease of cleanup.

Any help?

Phil Goode

Get a spray bottle with water in it. Mist the surface constantly so
that it cannot dry quickly. In twenty years the air will work it's way
out and you can let the surface dry.