Posted to rec.woodworking

Default If Festool Made Drill Bits, I Got 'em!

Speaking of bad woodworking shows.... I stopped by the Nashville Home &
Remodeling Show this afternoon. It's not a woodworking show, per se,
but it was still pretty terrible.

There were a couple of saving grace booths, however. A door hardware
source that is right in my little town that can get special orders
overnight and they are starting to carry cabinet door hinges.

The second was a specialty bit and blade company right in Nashville that
makes really great cutting blades, drill bits, and router bits... router
bits that can be used on solid surface materials, aluminum, marble, etc.
This company also makes all-purpose drill bits from very, very hard
cutter head material that can bore through porcelain tiles right after
cutting through hardened tool metals. The guy took the same bit and
drilled through a grade 8 bolt, and metal file, a metal lathe cutting
head, then straight to concrete, ceramic and porcelain tiles.

I was very impressed and bought this pack of bits at the show price of
$100.
https://millnertools.com/collections...ose-drill-bits

Now, I know what you're thinking. "A hundred bucks for a 13 pack of
drill bits!!" Well, yeah, that's what I thought, too, until I added up
what I spent in bits last year just for putting up safety grab bars on
tiled bathroom walls. I probably spend on average, $17/ea for ceramic
bits and upwards of $30 for diamond bits and none of them lasted longer
than 2 jobs. I was just figuring the cost of the bit into the job. Now
I don't have to worry about having the right bits.

Best part about these bits.... LIFETIME, unconditional replacement
guarantee.
For 2 bucks shipping, they replace the bit, no questions asked.

Oh, and did I mention they're GREEN? :-)
I'll do a follow-up after I've put some of these bits through some hard
work.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Bad Dog bites back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyYKgVJ2uGs
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2017 9:58 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Is it too late to take them back? Have you tried them out yet?

As mentioned in the other post, Bad Dog Tools sells a very similar
product. And those bits must be bait ans switch.
They were terrible.

I bought a set about 6 years ago and dried drilling the a hole in a
Stanley L bracket. About 1/8" thick. I could not drill through it at
all, and actually broke one of the bits trying to do so. I returned
them the next day. The excuse was that I was not drilling through
hardened steel. I guess soft steel is harder than hardened steel,
according to them.

They also had a life time warranty, send the broken or dull bit back and
they sharpen or replace it. After breaking one on first use I figure
most will be lost between me and the dealer.

Also these things are no good for wood, they are not precision made.

So I figured I paid some where around $100 for a $5 set of bits.

Seriously, try them out before loosing the chance to return them.

I hope they do well for you but,,,,,

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Well, I will have plenty of opportunity to use them and they have a 60
day money-back guarantee so I'll pay close attention.

I have plenty of wood bits and I'm specifically looking for bits for very
hard tiles. I'll see how they work on some left-over ceramic and
porcelain tiles I have and if they work, they work. If not, I'll return
them.

Funny thing is the mad dog website is non-existent so I'm not sure what
happened with them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Oh btw, thanks for the heads up. I will definitely put them through
their paces and if they aren't up to snuff the company will suffer my
wrath. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2017 9:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

There was a company about 8 years ago, I think BAD DOG drill bits.
Same thing. They were at the wood working shows. Doing the files, tiles,
etc.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

On 3/10/2017 9:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yes it was Bad Dog Tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4QEZ6uAwlc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/17 1:52 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

On 3/10/2017 9:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I wonder if they went under, because it's hard to find anything official
from them.
Website is down and someone on Amazon with their name is selling
left-overs of only two products.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

On 3/10/2017 9:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Their web server could be down or they might be out of busniess. Hard
to say for sure.

This Joe Strong web site still works ;-)

note the single 'l'
http://milnertools.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ros8cchrufpfgnoam5tsgb446usf0n8mkt@
4ax.com, says...

woodchucker wrote:

On 3/10/2017 9:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Bad dog seems to be back up.

That said, before buying ask them to drill a
file that _you_ provide so you can be sure that
they actually perform on real files and not
file-like objects made of, say, cheese.