DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/584009-sears-sell-craftsman-stanley-b-d.html)

J. Clarke[_4_] January 15th 17 05:23 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

In article ,
says...

On 1/13/2017 2:52 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:07:44 -0500, Jack wrote:

I think catalog sales and online sales are almost identical. On-line is
cheaper and easy to keep up to date. Today, people occasionally go to a
retail store if in a super hurry, bored, or want to physically see and
touch a product before ordering it on-line.

What I can't figure out is why, after going to the store to handle
the thing, you go home and order it online instead of taking it with
you - particularly at stores that will "price match".

I only tried price match twice, both times at Best Buy. One was Sam's
club had a major sale on Samsung 55' smart TV's. I was at Best Buy and
they had the same TV for a LOT more money. I told the sales man, showed
him the TV on my cell phone. He said that's a hell of a price, but he
would need to get his manager. The manager came out, and made some
really stupid excuse, like it was a special sale, something like that,
and it didn't qualify.

In which case you (a) go to Sam's, and (b) if
you are really ticked about it write the Best
Buy CEO, naming names, and explaining why they
lost a sale to Sam's.

Second time I needed a cable for a computer I bought at BB. I looked it
up and Staples had it for $7. I drove to Staples and they didn't have
it in stock, would take a few days to order it. Went to Best Buy and
they had the exact same cable, but in a BB box, and it was like $20.
They would not do the price match then, because they were not the same
brand. So for me, I'm 0 for 2 in the price match game.

As a general rule price match only applies for
the same SKU. Price matched a bunch of stuff
the other day--the guy at Microcenter just
scanned the barcode, plugged it into Amazon,
when the price came up lower than his he just
keyed it in and that was that.

Your Best Buy cable would be a different SKU
from the Staples cable so no price match.

Also, I noticed a lot of stuff you buy at the Borgs have unique model
numbers for stuff, and looking up those numbers turn up nothing. I
would imagine this tactic would put a crimp in price matching if the
store didn't want to match prices. $1 difference, no problem, $100
difference, big problem....

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Leon[_7_] January 15th 17 06:08 PM

Something else to ponder.

On 1/15/2017 10:31 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article GIqdnYx6oJnfSu7FnZ2dnUU7-
, lcb11211@swbelldotnet
says...

On 2017-01-09, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Sears is selling Craftsman, most all of us assume just the tools. I
wonder what will become of the Craftsman lawn mowers/lawn power tools,
and Craftsman Garage door openers.

Who gives a rat's ass!?

I give a rat's ass.

What are you doing with the rest of the rat?

Eating it of course. ;~) Ass is not what it's cracked up to be.

Ed Pawlowski January 15th 17 06:24 PM

On 1/15/2017 12:23 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Do you have evidence of that? I've heard the rumor a hundred times but
no one has ever given a specific.

My DeWalt miter saw came from Home Depot with a free sander for $20 less
than the local hardware store for the saw alone. The hardware store
told me it was made cheaper in spite of the same model number. When
asked what was different, they did not know.

Just like the signs:
Our gas has no water
Our wood has no termites

I've never seen a side be side comparison done.

HP used to have different model printers, ie 850 vs. 855 vs 855I but
they were all the same printer but different software for different
sellers at different prices.

Leon[_7_] January 15th 17 06:28 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/15/2017 11:23 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Snip

Also, I noticed a lot of stuff you buy at the Borgs have unique model
numbers for stuff, and looking up those numbers turn up nothing. I
would imagine this tactic would put a crimp in price matching if the
store didn't want to match prices. $1 difference, no problem, $100
difference, big problem....

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Same product/model number and one is built with cheaper parts.

I ask, how does one prove that. And is that maybe not just a case of
the manufacturer improving the product with out changing the model number?

Perhaps the older but less expensive model is sold at a discount to big
high volume retailers to get rid of the older supply.

I know that, as an example, software is sold as version 4.x. If you
bought it a month a ago you got 4.1 tomorrow 4.4. Both versions were
sold as 4.0. That might not be a great example but manufacturers
constantly change parts with in a specific model especially if it has
multiple suppliers of specific parts. The way you tell which model has
what part is comparing the range that the serial number fall in. Stores
don't compare serial numbers to determine if the product is an exact
match or not.

This may be why the FTC has not moved on this.

Leon[_7_] January 15th 17 06:37 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/15/2017 11:17 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article 5bb738e7-7ee8-4c16-bd7e-e2a188f30248
@googlegroups.com,
says...

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 9:37:06 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

It's not hindsight, it is now. Sears could have easily shifted to
online sales at any time, but my guess is management had their
collective heads where the sun don't shine.

Amazon started from scratch, Sears had a long history of catalog sales.
They blew it big time by ignoring the CURRENT trends. How on earth could
a retail store with a history of catalog sales IGNORE Amazon? Brain
dead is what I think.

--
Jack

You seem to believe everything is so easy. Back in August Wal-Mart paid $3 BILLION for Jet.com online sales company. After spending years trying to increase online sales at Wal-Mart. Did all the fools at Wal-Mart have their head up their behinds? Why couldn't they just make online sales magically? Why? Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world. How could they not know how to sell online?

As for comparing catalog sales to online sales. Maybe they are similar, maybe not. Catalog sales for Sears started dying out in the 50s, 60s. They had physical stores so no need for catalog sales. And the US became far more urban, not rural, in the second half of the century. Today everyone almost lives in a city or near a city. So today almost everyone is close to a physical Sears store. Why would they use a catalog? Online sales you have 50 choices and prices.

Catalog you have 5. Are they the same? I have a tool catalog from Acme Tools on the shelf. I doubt I would order anything from it. I'd go to the store in town or use the internet. Is a catalog the same as online ordering, even in philosophy?

You really are looking at this from the wrong
perspective. A "catalog" is not a paper book,
it is a list of items offered for sale. When
you order from Amazon you are ordering from a
catalog. May not seem that way but when you
make something available for sale on Amazon you
have to provide the information about what you
are selling and how much you want to charge for
it and so on and it goes into Amazon's database
where it becomes visible to potential buyers.
That database is no different in concept from
the Sears Big Book--the only difference is that
it's electronic and dynamic rather than paper
and static.

One importance difference is that some paper catalogs have codes that
will give you the same price as what is stated in the catalog.
Expiration dates,a change of season, usually put an end to that pricing,
ie. Spring Catalog or Winter catalog.

Many web sites ask for that code to give you the catalog price which may
or may not be the price stated on line.. IIRC LeeValley does this.

If you go to the internet the pricing can, as you stated, change "when
ever".

E-mails often have a discount code to lower the on-line pricing.

-MIKE- January 15th 17 06:46 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/15/17 8:54 AM, notbob wrote:
Also, there are super slow rates. I ordered a pen from Japan.
Received it in 10 days ....from Japan! A used book, I ordered from
VA, took 30 days!

Well, that's easy to explain.
It took the original owner 3 weeks to read the book. :-D

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_7_] January 15th 17 06:49 PM

On 1/15/2017 12:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/15/2017 12:23 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Do you have evidence of that? I've heard the rumor a hundred times but
no one has ever given a specific.

I have heard that too and believe that it may be just an excuse as to
why one retailer charges more.

My DeWalt miter saw came from Home Depot with a free sander for $20 less
than the local hardware store for the saw alone. The hardware store
told me it was made cheaper in spite of the same model number. When
asked what was different, they did not know.

Not all resellers get the same pricing from the manufacturer. Volume
has much to do with what a reseller pays and passes on to the consumer
and in many cases there are one time deals to be had from the
manufacturer, like when the sander is included.

-MIKE- January 15th 17 06:51 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/15/17 10:59 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 1/14/17 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/13/2017 5:28 PM, Markem wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:46:17 GMT,
(Scott
Lurndal) wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:

Granted again prices are all over the board on Amazon.
While Prime is expensive up front each year, $99, that gets
whittled away quickly if you need items quickly and
actually pay extra for 2nd day delivery.

Prime is good for some and so much for others.

While I have no claim on internet retailing experience, I've
found that my prime membership (and my costco executive
membership) have paid for themselves each year, so far.
Just watching Bionic Woman episodes on Amazon Prime TV was
sufficient, Ah Jamie :-).

Do not do Amazon in this household, you see my wife is in the
publishing business. Amazon has made margin in that business a
joke.

I only buy books from Amazon, used. $.01 for most books, plus
$3.99 shipping, so $4 delivered to your door. All the books I've
bought are like new. Your wife doesn't need to worry about me
though, I don't buy many books. My wife buys a ton though, and I
have no clue what she pays, but they are all bought on-line,
probably Amazon.

As someone who has tried to make a living in the music business, I
know that those barn doors are not only open, but gone,
entirely.... in fact the barn has been burned to the ground.

The price of music has dropped so far that it's not even an apples
to oranges comparison between now and then, it's an apples to
spaceships comparison.

There ain't no going back so fighting it is futile.

The simple fact is that audiophile recordings are a niche market.
Most people are happy to pay 99 cents a track for MP3 singles. But
I'm also seeing the MP3 albums going for more than the CD despite
higher costs of production, which says that somebody somewhere is
profiteering and if it's not the musician then he needs to reconsider
his distribution channel.

I'm not so much talking about the actual purchasing of music.
Some artists have adapted and conquered. One I used to play for has no
label but makes a very good living from iTunes, selling her music
directly.

What I'm really talking about it the free music on streaming services.
Free or next to free. I personally know artists who've gotten millions
of streams of their songs and their royalty checks couldn't pay a
month's rent.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_7_] January 15th 17 06:56 PM

Lurndal) wrote:

[...]

I think the music industry has changed in a way that music which is not
"live" is simply a cost of doing business, it is a form of advertising
to sell tickets to your live performance.

notbob January 15th 17 07:30 PM

On 2017-01-15, -MIKE- wrote:

It took the original owner 3 weeks to read the book. :-D

LOL!.....

Markem[_2_] January 15th 17 07:55 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:59:48 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

says...

As someone who has tried to make a living in the music business, I know
that those barn doors are not only open, but gone, entirely.... in fact
the barn has been burned to the ground.

The price of music has dropped so far that it's not even an apples to
oranges comparison between now and then, it's an apples to spaceships
comparison.

There ain't no going back so fighting it is futile.

The simple fact is that audiophile recordings
are a niche market. Most people are happy to
pay 99 cents a track for MP3 singles. But I'm
also seeing the MP3 albums going for more than
the CD despite higher costs of production, which
says that somebody somewhere is profiteering and
if it's not the musician then he needs to
reconsider his distribution channel.

But the artist gets screwed as it has always been, but for a few.

[email protected] January 15th 17 08:21 PM

On 2017-01-15, -MIKE- wrote:

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax.
WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

Watch out for shipping "and handling" (S&H). There are limits on shipping,
but add "handling" and the sky is the limit.

Also, there are super slow rates. I ordered a pen from Japan.
Received it in 10 days ....from Japan! A used book, I ordered from
VA, took 30 days!

Watch restocking fees, also. Newegg has always had a 15% restocking
fee, so I changed to Tiger Direct ....at least until TD instituted
that same 15% fee.

I bought a panetonne from SFBA. They charged me $20 to ship a 2lb
package from SF to CO, yet a guy who sold me a 40lb golf cart charger
charged me zero shipping, on ebay.

Amazon wants $46 for a skillet. I can get that same skillet for $30,
elsewhere. Problem is, "elsewhere" want $18 to ship it.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances!...... ;)

nb

And what do they want for it at the "bricks and Mortar" across town
where you can pick it off the shelf and take it home with you???

[email protected] January 15th 17 08:23 PM

On 2017-01-15, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

About 5~6 weeks later they showed........

Yikes! You win. ;)

nb

Not quite the same, but when I was in Zambia I recieved a parcel that
was postmarked in Kitchener Ontariuo 3 days prior - and almost a month
later I got a letter, postmarked the same day, telling me to expect
the parcel - - - -

Ed Pawlowski January 15th 17 08:28 PM

On 1/15/2017 1:51 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The simple fact is that audiophile recordings are a niche market.
Most people are happy to pay 99 cents a track for MP3 singles. But
I'm also seeing the MP3 albums going for more than the CD despite
higher costs of production, which says that somebody somewhere is
profiteering and if it's not the musician then he needs to reconsider
his distribution channel.

I'm not so much talking about the actual purchasing of music.
Some artists have adapted and conquered. One I used to play for has no
label but makes a very good living from iTunes, selling her music
directly.

What I'm really talking about it the free music on streaming services.
Free or next to free. I personally know artists who've gotten millions
of streams of their songs and their royalty checks couldn't pay a
month's rent.

Seems to be a big disparity. Some artists are worth many millions,
others would starve. I read that George Michael was worth $200 million.

I don't mind paying for music and have bought a handful of albums every
year. With so many sources of sound, I have not had to buy anything for
a few years now. I do pay for Sirius/XM but don't know if the artists
get anything from what is played. For an extra $2 a month I can listen
on my computer at home or at work. I get free music from Amazon Prime.
Yesterday I qued up a couple of hours of YouTube music that payed
through the receiver.

notbob January 15th 17 09:55 PM

On 2017-01-15, wrote:

And what do they want for it at the "bricks and Mortar" across town
where you can pick it off the shelf and take it home with you???

Are you assuming I could get it at the ""bricks and Mortar" across
town"?

nb

[email protected] January 15th 17 10:35 PM

On 2017-01-15, wrote:

And what do they want for it at the "bricks and Mortar" across town
where you can pick it off the shelf and take it home with you???

Are you assuming I could get it at the ""bricks and Mortar" across
town"?

nb

Making that assumption in a populated area is not a great stretch -
mabee not the EXACT one, but one that would do the job. A bit
different out in "the boonies"

[email protected] January 15th 17 10:51 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 08:28:13 -0600, Markem
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 17:46:34 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 22:49:14 -0600, Markem
wrote:

Well as my wife is Director of an university press the damage done by
Amazon is viewed critically. Self publishing is easy, getting your
stuff sold though. As a matter of survival she has started a "vanity
publishing arm" and so it goes.

I wasn't talking abut "vanity publishing" (AKA paying someone for the
honor of being a "published" author). People are making real money
with their writing skills. The publisher is just unnecessary
overhead.

Just like all of us can play in the NFL (if you have Madden).

....and grass grows in the summer.

[email protected] January 15th 17 10:55 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 22:29:48 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/14/17 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
(It also lets you avoid being charged for sales tax automatically
in some states. You're still supposed to submit it anyway, but who
does?)

Puckdropper

We can't avoid it anymore, since there's an Amazon warehouse in TN, so
we get charged sales tax, anyway.

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax.
WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

I don't know of a state that doesn't call it that. The "use" tax part
comes in if you're a stationary store and use a sheet of paper in your
business office, you'e supposed to pay the tax because you *used* it,
not because you "bought" it.

[email protected] January 15th 17 10:57 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:26:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

On 2017-01-15, -MIKE- wrote:

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax.
WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

Watch out for shipping "and handling" (S&H). There are limits on shipping,
but add "handling" and the sky is the limit.

Also, there are super slow rates. I ordered a pen from Japan.
Received it in 10 days ....from Japan! A used book, I ordered from
VA, took 30 days!

LOL, I ordered 25 microfiber towels specifically made to clean glasses
lens/specticals. Ordered on Amazon for about $7 including free
shipping. About 5~6 weeks later they showed up oddly packaged with
strange postage stamps. Direct from Viet Nam.

Shipping subsidized by Uncle Sam.

Leon[_7_] January 15th 17 10:58 PM

wrote:

On 1/14/17 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
(It also lets you avoid being charged for sales tax automatically
in some states. You're still supposed to submit it anyway, but who
does?)

Puckdropper

We can't avoid it anymore, since there's an Amazon warehouse in TN, so
we get charged sales tax, anyway.

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax.
WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

I don't know of a state that doesn't call it that. The "use" tax part
comes in if you're a stationary store and use a sheet of paper in your
business office, you'e supposed to pay the tax because you *used* it,
not because you "bought" it.

Yes.

Tax gets paid one way or another. If you are a reseller and don't
collect tax on what you bought to resell, you have to pay the tax.

[email protected] January 16th 17 02:37 AM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

wrote:

On 1/14/17 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
(It also lets you avoid being charged for sales tax automatically
in some states. You're still supposed to submit it anyway, but who
does?)

Puckdropper

We can't avoid it anymore, since there's an Amazon warehouse in TN, so
we get charged sales tax, anyway.

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax.
WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

I don't know of a state that doesn't call it that. The "use" tax part
comes in if you're a stationary store and use a sheet of paper in your
business office, you'e supposed to pay the tax because you *used* it,
not because you "bought" it.

Yes.

Tax gets paid one way or another. If you are a reseller and don't
collect tax on what you bought to resell, you have to pay the tax.

They've simplified it somewhat up here in Canada with the HST
(Harmonized Sales Tax) Rate is different province to province but it
is basically a Value Added Tax.

As a business I pay the taxes on everything I buy and collect tax on
everything I sell (including labor) I subtract the tax I pay from the
tax I collect, and submit the balance.

[email protected] January 16th 17 03:35 AM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:37:05 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

It goes a lot further than this. The price can change based on your
zip code, your purchasing history, your browsing histroy, or even what
browser you're using. They're watching.

J. Clarke[_4_] January 16th 17 03:54 AM

Lurndal) wrote:

[...]

Your tax dollars at work. Per RIAA:

"The U.S. Congress has determined that, in
certain limited circumstances and for public
policy reasons, the government should determine
the terms, conditions, and rates for a limited
class of copyright licenses. For example, such a
government created license may enable licensees
to avoid entering into separate negotiations
with numerous individual copyright holders, and
thus create efficiencies that benefit society as
a whole. Such licenses are called statutory (or
compulsory) licenses, and generally the fee in
such situations is paid according to a rate set
by law, called a ?statutory rate.?

In the music world, some types of performance
and reproductions of sound recordings qualify
for a statutory license. The most common type of
use covered by these statutory licenses is for
non-interactive webcasting or Internet radio.
The sound recordings that you might hear through
a satellite system in your car, or at home over
your digital cable service, also are provided
pursuant to a statutory license."

Leon[_7_] January 16th 17 04:00 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yes but if you have a catalog reference code to lock in the catalog
price it does not matter where you are, you get that price.

J. Clarke[_4_] January 16th 17 04:04 AM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

In article ,
says...

On 1/15/2017 12:23 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Do you have evidence of that? I've heard the rumor a hundred times but
no one has ever given a specific.

Get a Sunbeam MSU1XTFN00051A0 from Amazon and
one from Walmart and see which one doesn't turn
off automatically and dies young.

[email protected] January 16th 17 04:06 AM

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:37:21 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:58:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

A sales tax is simpler than pretty much any other tax, including a VAT
(only gets accounted for at it's last sale).

As a business I pay the taxes on everything I buy and collect tax on
everything I sell (including labor) I subtract the tax I pay from the
tax I collect, and submit the balance.

....and everyone up and down the food chain has to do the same
paperwork.

J. Clarke[_4_] January 16th 17 04:06 AM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

In article dbvn7cl2mj4aota6qrkp1d60ouo7m6t0a0@
4ax.com, says...

wrote:

On 1/14/17 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
(It also lets you avoid being charged for sales tax automatically
in some states. You're still supposed to submit it anyway, but who
does?)

Puckdropper

We can't avoid it anymore, since there's an Amazon warehouse in TN, so
we get charged sales tax, anyway.

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax.
WTF is that!? I'm getting charged to use something!?

I don't know of a state that doesn't call it that. The "use" tax part
comes in if you're a stationary store and use a sheet of paper in your
business office, you'e supposed to pay the tax because you *used* it,
not because you "bought" it.

Or you buy something out of state you're
supposed to pay an in-state "use tax" equivalent
to the sales tax. The "House of Television" in
Springfield MA used to sell to CT residents and
not collect tax from either state as long as the
product was purchased for delivery instead of
carry out. They got raided and everybody to
whom the had delivered a product got a tax bill.

Leon[_7_] January 16th 17 04:10 AM

On 1/15/2017 8:37 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:58:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We pay use tax based on the sales tax rate where we live. Sales tax is
another animal altogether. In the Houston Metro area there are several
taxing authorities, City, Metro, State... Determining and charging
sales tax is complicated as there are probably dozen or more different
city taxes to take into account.

As a business I pay the taxes on everything I buy and collect tax on
everything I sell (including labor) I subtract the tax I pay from the
tax I collect, and submit the balance.

In Texas you can elect to not pay sales tax for goods to be resold at
the time of purchase. This gives you 8.25% more cash flow.
My wife was an enforcement officer for the Texas state comptrollers
office, 32 years. She does my sales tax. LOL
In my previous life, the automotive business, I was a highly efficient
"form filler outer". The Texas sales tax return form is unbelievable,
and is allllll hers.

[email protected] January 16th 17 04:34 AM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

wrote:

[...]

I'm talking about online sales and Amazon, in particular.

Leon[_7_] January 16th 17 04:52 AM

wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:58:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

;~) Unless you collect and pay sales tax as a business in Texas large
city metro area, you may not be aware of the complications of collecting
sales tax.

Just for an example, I sell and deliver furniture to a customer 1 mile
away. He pays 7.25%. I sell to another customer a block away but this
time it happens to be in the city of Houston. He pays 8.25%. Tthere are
at leas a dozen cities that have to be considered when determining sales
tax.

Now, you fill out the return form. You have to break down how much
money goes to the state, and it is not always the same percentage, and
for each of the cities, and finally MTA which may or may not be in any
city or unincorporated area.

If you are a hotel the taxes get more complicated to cover state, city,
metro, hotel and entertainment complex.

Then there are fuels taxes.... and the list goes on.

Scott Lurndal January 16th 17 02:27 PM

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 1/13/2017 11:49 PM, Markem wrote:

Do not do Amazon in this household, you see my wife is in the
publishing business. Amazon has made margin in that business a joke.

OTOH, Amazon allows individuals to self-publish, keeping more of their
royalties and saving the buyers money. Not good for publishers but
they don't have a value add in this sort of market.

Well as my wife is Director of an university press the damage done by
Amazon is viewed critically. Self publishing is easy, getting your
stuff sold though. As a matter of survival she has started a "vanity
publishing arm" and so it goes.

From some stories I've heard, the publishing industry is getting what
they deserve. I guess it depends on what side of the fence you are on.

A guy I work with wrote a book with the intent of having it as a memory
for his family. Amazon let him publish and list it and he has sold
about 400 copies. Simon & Schuster types would not bother with the
likes of him.

My Dad did the same thing.

Scott Lurndal January 16th 17 02:28 PM

wrote:

Well as my wife is Director of an university press the damage done by
Amazon is viewed critically. Self publishing is easy, getting your
stuff sold though. As a matter of survival she has started a "vanity
publishing arm" and so it goes.

I wasn't talking abut "vanity publishing" (AKA paying someone for the
honor of being a "published" author). People are making real money
with their writing skills. The publisher is just unnecessary
overhead.

Just like all of us can play in the NFL (if you have Madden).

That doesn't make much sense.

If one has the skills, one can play in the NFL, or make real money
self-publishing, or write computer programs for a living.

Scott Lurndal January 16th 17 02:32 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Jack writes:
On 1/13/2017 12:14 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 1/13/2017 10:46 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes Amazon as well. I would suggest not dabbling in what you don't
understand. Like those $1.99 shelf brackets that are more expensive
than the Prime brackets once you add in the shipping.

I'd suggest not dabbling in what you don't understand.

Since neither of you seem to have any experience with
online retailing, perhaps you're both tilting at windmills.

How would you know how much experience we have with on line retailing?

Besides, we certainly have plenty of experience with on-line retailing
from the customers point of view, and that's about all that counts. If
the customer doesn't like what you're doing, you're doing it wrong.

The customer doesn't necessarily know _how_ to run an on-line retailing business,
so I stand by the statement that you don't seem to have any experience
with online retailing. Inventory, Shipping, Taxes, Dispute resolution,
Returns, Sales Taxes, Legal, Finance et cetera et alia.

Scott Lurndal January 16th 17 02:43 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Jack writes:
On 1/13/2017 3:05 PM, wrote:

There is a REASON there is a difference between wholesale (warehouse)
and retail (store) pricing - and it has nothing to do with the
retailer going after your gonads.

The reason a retailer is going after my gonads is not important to me.
If an item cost 3-10 times as much at a retail store, I'm not likely
going to buy it, nor will their price gouging ways send a chill up my leg.

I hate buying machine screws at Borgs, they come in sealed package of 3
for .99. I need 4, and the price is stupid.

Most of their customers only need two screws, and are not interested
in storing 98 others ad infinitum. Can't make everyone happy
(although my local Orchard Supply Hardware will sell the two/four packs
and also will sell an entire box of 25/50/100).

Home Depot, Lowes aren't generally selling to the trade.

Hardware stores used to
sell them by the pound and they were cheap. Lowes sells threaded
inserts individually for 10x's more than I can buy them at Granger.

Why Sears, Lowes, Home Depot won't give a decent price on small items is
not important to me.

Again, your lack of retailing experience shows. It costs the retailer
money to stock small items (e.g. those bags of three screws) for packaging,
shipping, stocking, tracking.

I guess enough people don't mind getting screwed,
or even know they are getting screwed.

Life must really suck for you.

J. Clarke[_4_] January 16th 17 02:50 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

In article ,
says...

Jack writes:
On 1/13/2017 3:05 PM,
wrote:

[...]

You don't seem to understand sales--you seem to
be one of those back room accountants who says
"we have to charge x for this item and never
mind that the guy across the street sells it for
x/10". And after a while you decide to remove
the item because you never sell any of them.
And so it goes until the guy across the street
has put you out of business.

Jack January 16th 17 03:51 PM

Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/14/2017 11:26 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/14/2017 8:36 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/13/2017 12:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Prime is not always the least expensive way to order an item but often
it is, as seen with the shelf hanger clips/brackets.

And yet it was still 3 times cheaper than buying the same item at Sears.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack January 16th 17 03:56 PM

On 1/14/2017 2:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/13/2017 3:05 PM, wrote:

There is a REASON there is a difference between wholesale (warehouse)
and retail (store) pricing - and it has nothing to do with the
retailer going after your gonads.

The reason a retailer is going after my gonads is not important to me.
If an item cost 3-10 times as much at a retail store, I'm not likely
going to buy it, nor will their price gouging ways send a chill up my
leg.

I hate buying machine screws at Borgs, they come in sealed package of
3 for .99. I need 4, and the price is stupid. Hardware stores used
to sell them by the pound and they were cheap. Lowes sells threaded
inserts individually for 10x's more than I can buy them at Granger.

Why Sears, Lowes, Home Depot won't give a decent price on small items
is not important to me. I guess enough people don't mind getting
screwed, or even know they are getting screwed.
I've been there myself.

I needed a couple of screws from a small computer store. He asked me for
50 cents or so, but I gave him $2, and thanked him.

Computer stores are not hardware stores. You should have given him a 5
for being nice to you, he should have given them free to be nice to a you.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Leon[_7_] January 16th 17 03:56 PM

On 1/14/2017 8:36 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/13/2017 12:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Prime is not always the least expensive way to order an item but often
it is, as seen with the shelf hanger clips/brackets.

And yet it was still 3 times cheaper than buying the same item at Sears.

Apples, Oranges. To be fair you need to figure 50 cents per mile going
to and coming from Sears. That is your personal shipping cost.

Brewster[_2_] January 16th 17 04:06 PM

On 1/15/17 11:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/15/2017 11:23 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Snip

Also, I noticed a lot of stuff you buy at the Borgs have unique model
numbers for stuff, and looking up those numbers turn up nothing. I
would imagine this tactic would put a crimp in price matching if the
store didn't want to match prices. $1 difference, no problem, $100
difference, big problem....

It can. At the other end, Walmart sometimes has
products with the same SKU as the ones you buy
elsewhere but the product has been cheapened in
some way, which is something I really wish the
FTC would start stepping on.

Same product/model number and one is built with cheaper parts.

I ask, how does one prove that. And is that maybe not just a case of
the manufacturer improving the product with out changing the model number?

Case in point.

When the fresh roasted green chile runs out and we are Jonesing for a
fix, we have occasionally picked up a tub from either the local
supermarket or Wal mart. Consistently, the Wal Mart tubs have lots more
peels and other undesireables where as the supermarket version is fine.

Tubs look the same (same SKU), but our guess is that undoubtedly Wal
Mart demands the manufacturer supply at a lower price, so the
manufacturer provides a product that falls down a notch on their QC.

Easy enough to do (for a manufacturer) with foods, a bit more difficult
to do with electronics, etc. Given the volume that Wal Mart generates
for them, I'd bet that they find a way to modify production to satisfy
the Wal Mart contracts and help keep their bottom line.

FWIW
-BR