Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill Press Question

A few months ago, I picked up a good deal on an old Delta 14" drill press (DP220). I will use this to replace my Rockwell 11" which is still very serviceable but I like having the added throat depth (and also the idea of "old iron").

Before I let go of the old machine, I want to be sure the new guy is a worthy replacement. It seems to be very tight and run relatively smoothly. I thought I'd check out the run-out on the chuck. I have a long steel rod that looks straight, but I can't be positive. Anyway, I can get a hardened dowel and use either one. When I put the dowel in the chuck, what is a reasonable distance from the chuck to measure run-out? What is an acceptable value at that location?

I suppose I could measure the chuck directly. Again, what would be a reasonable value there?

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2016 4:51 PM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
A few months ago, I picked up a good deal on an old Delta 14" drill press (DP220). I will use this to replace my Rockwell 11" which is still very serviceable but I like having the added throat depth (and also the idea of "old iron").

Before I let go of the old machine, I want to be sure the new guy is a worthy replacement. It seems to be very tight and run relatively smoothly. I thought I'd check out the run-out on the chuck. I have a long steel rod that looks straight, but I can't be positive. Anyway, I can get a hardened dowel and use either one. When I put the dowel in the chuck, what is a reasonable distance from the chuck to measure run-out? What is an acceptable value at that location?

I suppose I could measure the chuck directly. Again, what would be a reasonable value there?

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Pick up a drill rod, it should be straight. the rod should spin true.
measure as far you can .. 12" ..
that will tell you how it runs.
Then take the drill rod at the bottom and find out how much deflection
you are getting.

Mark where your dial indicator is on the rod with a marker.
place the dial 90 from the current position repeat.
90 again repeat.
rinse and repeat once more.

now you have an idea of how she spins and deflects while the quill is
still in the parked position.

Do the same with the quill out. you can tighten the quill up too to take
slop out.

Also use the dial indicator at the bottom and lower the quill... see if
it moves the dial.. it should not. repeat at 90s around the clock.

The amount it's out is subjective, but at least you will know where it's
off and how to compensate for it.

I would not use a hardened dowel.. it' not accurate enough.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2016 3:51 PM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
[...]

What is more important is if the drilling results are satisfactory to
you. Drill a hole, do you like the result.......