Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rustic Bed Complete

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone that offered advice for my Rustic Bed
project. I received advice ranging from what to pay for the reclaimed Douglas
Fir all the way to how to stain the end grain properly. Love this group!

I delivered the bed to my daughter last night. It's a 5 hour round trip, but
I got a nice dinner out of it. ;-) With our conflicting schedules, a weekend
trip was at least a month out so I bit the bullet and made the drive after
work.

Here are some pics...

The Raw Material

http://i.imgur.com/3ICIwpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg

The Naked Bed

http://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

The Dressed Up Bed

http://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

The Edge Of The Headboard

http://i.imgur.com/da16KkJ.jpg

The headboard weighs a bit over 70 pounds, the whole bed is around 110.
It should hold up for a couple of years. ;-)

Thanks again to all!

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I would hesitate to call it rustic. Very nice piece of furniture.
I'm sure it will be treasured even after you and I are gone.

--
GW Ross

Mercifully free of the ravages of
intelligence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2016 8:46 AM, G. Ross wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I think rustic is what the new generation calls well thought out and not
cluttered. A young neighbor described the walnut entertainment center
that I built as modern rustic. That was the furthest thing from my
mind. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

We like Mission because it is well thought out and uncluttered but I
wouldn't call it "rustic". ;-) Shaker, maybe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 9:46:05 AM UTC-4, G. Ross wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

The "rustic" refers to the knots, splits, a few holes and dark spots from
the nails that were removed when the wood was reclaimed.

e.g If you zoom in on the left upright of the headboard, you see a black
spot. That's an old nail hole, stained black from (I assume) the iron in
the nails. On the bottom of the foot-board rail, there's a curved
imperfection caused by a knot that fell out long ago.

Those are some of the features that I refer to as "rustic".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2016 8:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Let me start by saying thanks to everyone that offered advice for my Rustic Bed
project. I received advice ranging from what to pay for the reclaimed Douglas
Fir all the way to how to stain the end grain properly. Love this group!

I delivered the bed to my daughter last night. It's a 5 hour round trip, but
I got a nice dinner out of it. ;-) With our conflicting schedules, a weekend
trip was at least a month out so I bit the bullet and made the drive after
work.

Here are some pics...

The Raw Material

http://i.imgur.com/3ICIwpl.jpg

Would that have hauled better if you had loaded it 90 degrees to what
the picture shows?

http://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg

The Naked Bed

http://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

Looks Great!

The Dressed Up Bed

http://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

Aw... Now you cant see the beauty of the wood. LOL

The Edge Of The Headboard

http://i.imgur.com/da16KkJ.jpg

Came out great.

The headboard weighs a bit over 70 pounds, the whole bed is around 110.
It should hold up for a couple of years. ;-)

Heavy stuff, I have to get away from that. But yes yours should hold up
a couple of generations!

Thanks again to all!

;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 9:59:49 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 10/18/2016 8:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Let me start by saying thanks to everyone that offered advice for my Rustic Bed
project. I received advice ranging from what to pay for the reclaimed Douglas
Fir all the way to how to stain the end grain properly. Love this group!

I delivered the bed to my daughter last night. It's a 5 hour round trip, but
I got a nice dinner out of it. ;-) With our conflicting schedules, a weekend
trip was at least a month out so I bit the bullet and made the drive after
work.

Here are some pics...

The Raw Material

http://i.imgur.com/3ICIwpl.jpg

Would that have hauled better if you had loaded it 90 degrees to what
the picture shows?

I'm pretty sure I was over the legal limit for "overhang based on
trailer length" for my state, but I made it home.

http://i.imgur.com/GF2qOCd.jpg

The Naked Bed

http://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg

Looks Great!

The Dressed Up Bed

http://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

Aw... Now you cant see the beauty of the wood. LOL

The Edge Of The Headboard

http://i.imgur.com/da16KkJ.jpg

Came out great.

The end grain sections are a tad uneven, but I'll live with it. As set up
in that alcove of her room, they won't even be seen.

The headboard weighs a bit over 70 pounds, the whole bed is around 110.
It should hold up for a couple of years. ;-)

Heavy stuff, I have to get away from that. But yes yours should hold up
a couple of generations!

We'll see. I told my daughter that it's just wood. I told her that if she
tires of the style or if she and a future significant other want to get
something of their own, she shouldn't hesitate to move on. I would hate to
burden her with something she doesn't want just because I built it.

Thanks again to all!

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2016 9:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would hate to
burden her with something she doesn't want just because I built it

I'd be willing to take bets on that never happening.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 07:46:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

That is called "character" as any decorator knows, plus it adds charm
for the daughter.

Great Bed!

The headboard weighs a bit over 70 pounds, the whole bed is around 110.
It should hold up for a couple of years. ;-)

Heavy stuff, I have to get away from that. But yes yours should hold up
a couple of generations!

We'll see. I told my daughter that it's just wood. I told her that if she
tires of the style or if she and a future significant other want to get
something of their own, she shouldn't hesitate to move on. I would hate to
burden her with something she doesn't want just because I built it.

Thanks again to all!

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Let me start by saying thanks to everyone that offered advice for my
Rustic Bed
project. I received advice ranging from what to pay for the reclaimed
Douglas
Fir all the way to how to stain the end grain properly. Love this group!

I delivered the bed to my daughter last night. It's a 5 hour round trip,
but
I got a nice dinner out of it. ;-) With our conflicting schedules, a
weekend
trip was at least a month out so I bit the bullet and made the drive after
work.

Here are some pics...

Looks great, DD03!! I'm sure your daughter will get decades of use from it.
And it will be very special to her because, "Daddy made it".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:18:59 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Let me start by saying thanks to everyone that offered advice for my
Rustic Bed
project. I received advice ranging from what to pay for the reclaimed
Douglas
Fir all the way to how to stain the end grain properly. Love this group!

I delivered the bed to my daughter last night. It's a 5 hour round trip,
but
I got a nice dinner out of it. ;-) With our conflicting schedules, a
weekend
trip was at least a month out so I bit the bullet and made the drive after
work.

Here are some pics...

Looks great, DD03!! I'm sure your daughter will get decades of use from it.
And it will be very special to her because, "Daddy made it".

Thanks!

I told her she can use it until she's done with it and to not be concerned if
her tastes or needs change. It's just wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2016 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Looks great, DD03!! I'm sure your daughter will get decades of use from it.
And it will be very special to her because, "Daddy made it".

Thanks!

I told her she can use it until she's done with it and to not be concerned if
her tastes or needs change. It's just wood.

You have the right attitude, but your grandkids may enjoy it. Of curse,
they will have to hire a crew of riggers to move the 70# headboard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Let's try this again.

Looks great. Good job. Now, others will, no doubt, be asking for custom furniture from you.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:43:25 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I'm going to visit my son in Vegas next week. I sent him a picture of the
bed and he wants me to built him a King size version while I'm there. 4 days.

I told him he must be dreaming and that he'll be dreaming in his current
bed for quite a while. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2016 11:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

In this throw away society that we live in young people have no idea of
the time that is invested in producing some thing that will last
generations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 12:42:32 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

For the most part, I agree, but in this case he was kidding. He's the son
that got the most out of the time spent building Soap Box Derby cars and ran
with it.

I knew that it had clicked when we bought him a cart to tow behind his
riding mower back when he was 14. He mowed lawns in the neighborhood and
started with a beat up riding mower, then made enough to buy a new one. He
looked at the big knobby wheels on his old mower, then at the puny ones
on the cart and said "Hey, Dad...I think if we modify the fenders we can get
those big wheels to fit on the cart. It'll look much better than those
little ones."

He was right! A little work with the reciprocating saw, a few bolts here
and there and we beefed up the cart, just for fun. He's still the same
today. He recently bought a house in Vegas and has been working on making
it his own. I'd love to be working with him again, but for now I have to
settle for offering advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks great. Good job. Now, others will, no doubt, be asking for custom furniture from you.
Sonny

Thanks!
I'm going to visit my son in Vegas next week. I sent him a picture of the
bed and he wants me to built him a King size version while I'm there. 4 days.
I told him he must be dreaming and that he'll be dreaming in his current
bed for quite a while. ;-)

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/grand-o...gas/index.html

:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 13:24:51 -0400, wrote:

Looks great. Good job. Now, others will, no doubt, be asking for custom furniture from you.
Sonny

Thanks!
I'm going to visit my son in Vegas next week. I sent him a picture of the
bed and he wants me to built him a King size version while I'm there. 4 days.
I told him he must be dreaming and that he'll be dreaming in his current
bed for quite a while. ;-)

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/grand-o...gas/index.html

:-)

We went to the one in Atlanta a few years back. I've never seen so
much expensive junk in one place, at one time, in my life. They do
have a good price on beech butcher block, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/16 8:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That turned out great!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2016 8:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Here are some pics...

Might fine job, well done!

Nice even tone throughout, and sets off the DF to advantage ... just
like you indicated you wanted to do in your first few posts.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:25:37 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 10/18/2016 8:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Here are some pics...

Might fine job, well done!

Nice even tone throughout, and sets off the DF to advantage ... just
like you indicated you wanted to do in your first few posts.

Thanks!

Now maybe I can get back to those cabinets doors I started a couple of
years ago. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 06:33:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Nice! What species?

Rustic Mills in Idaho Paul Gilbert[_2_] Woodworking 2 December 7th 09 03:47 PM
Rustic Mills in Idaho Paul[_23_] Woodturning 1 December 4th 09 04:32 PM
roundwood rustic carpentry Tim W Woodworking 2 January 3rd 06 02:46 PM
rustic bird tables zippy Woodworking 3 December 11th 05 08:04 PM
Stain for the "Rustic Pine" look? Cherokee-Ltd Woodworking 7 September 8th 05 05:12 PM