Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home construction

They are building a new home two doors down from my house. It is
completely dried in with roof done, siding on, etc. Never have I seen
a nail gun there or heard one. Their only concession is a Skil saw.
They have a 5-7 man crew. When I had my last house built, the framing
crew was 2 men, one with a nail gun and the other on the saw. It went
up as fast as as this one. But it is good for the unemployment to
use more men.
--
GW Ross

Misfortune: The kind of fortune that
never misses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2016 12:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 12:22:42 PM UTC-4, G. Ross wrote:
They are building a new home two doors down from my house. It is
completely dried in with roof done, siding on, etc. Never have I seen
a nail gun there or heard one. Their only concession is a Skil saw.
They have a 5-7 man crew. When I had my last house built, the framing
crew was 2 men, one with a nail gun and the other on the saw. It went
up as fast as as this one. But it is good for the unemployment to
use more men.

Amish?

Might have been a family enterprise. Ran across a family of about six
carpenters about 15 years ago that would build an entire house. They
were from Michigan, IIRC.

In any event, they did the kind of work you only see in houses built
before, and shortly after WWII/Korea, up through the 1960's ... before
the tract homes built for the returning GI's went to **** in the 70's.

Unfortunately, it was hard to justify the cost when I was building spec
homes. I got the same quality work in the end, but it took constant
supervision 18/6, and doing a lot of the trim and cabinet work myself.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net