Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd OT Question: Bees wax and mice

I had a few squares of bees wax in my garage shop, but when I looked for them, they seem to have vanished completely, even the one on the lathe. There are also mice in the garage, so I wonder if they eat the stuff. Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in
:

I had a few squares of bees wax in my garage shop, but when I looked
for them, they seem to have vanished completely, even the one on the
lathe. There are also mice in the garage, so I wonder if they eat the
stuff. Anyone know about this?

My brother in law keeps bees, and I'm pretty sure he's told
me that mice will eat the comb if they can get into a hive.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 13:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
Michael wrote:

stuff. Anyone know about this?

get a cat
get more bees wax

observe

make sure it is a meat eating cat and not these metro sexual cats
that are afraid of rats

i mention rats because that is more likely your problem

mice are mostly 2d
rats are 3d
norwegian wharf rats are 6d

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-30, Electric Comet wrote:

get a cat
get more bees wax

make sure it is a meat eating cat and not these metro sexual cats
that are afraid of rats

LOL!.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 21:49:18 UTC+1, Michael wrote:
I had a few squares of bees wax in my garage shop, but when I looked for them, they seem to have vanished completely, even the one on the lathe. There are also mice in the garage, so I wonder if they eat the stuff. Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Mike

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 2:22:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

I once had bar soap in the shop and mice or rats ate that, also. They ate all my garden/gardening seeds, as well.

They haven't, yet, managed to open the frig and drink the beer, though.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2016 11:18 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 2:22:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

I once had bar soap in the shop and mice or rats ate that, also. They ate all my garden/gardening seeds, as well.

They haven't, yet, managed to open the frig and drink the beer, though.

Sonny

I must have rats in the shower, my bar of soap keeps getting smaller! ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tooth marks are tough to measure when they consume the entire wax package
Setting glue traps will let you know pretty quickly, They typically do not discriminate between size or species of critter...Once caught 2 live rats in the same tray...not a pleasant find, as they were both still alive...

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 12:22:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Tooth marks are tough to measure when they consume the entire wax package
Setting glue traps will let you know pretty quickly, They typically do not discriminate between size or species of critter...Once caught 2 live rats in the same tray...not a pleasant find, as they were both still alive...

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

That's the thing. There is not a trace of those bars of bees wax. I'm going to build one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PaGvAhV9I
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

wrote:

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat
attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

I once had bar soap in the shop and mice or rats ate that, also. They
ate all my garden/gardening seeds, as well.

They haven't, yet, managed to open the frig and drink the beer,
though.

Guess I'm lucky. The only thing rats have eaten in my shop
is the extra packages of rat poison I had stored there.

Saved me the effort of putting them out where I thought the
rats were.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2016 11:18 AM, Sonny wrote:
I once had bar soap in the shop and mice or rats ate that, also. They ate all my garden/gardening seeds, as well.

Why I encourage the possums.

They haven't, yet, managed to open the frig and drink the beer, though.

The coons around here will do that without breaking a sweat.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

get a cat
get more bees wax

observe

make sure it is a meat eating cat and not these metro sexual cats
that are afraid of rats

i mention rats because that is more likely your problem

mice are mostly 2d
rats are 3d
norwegian wharf rats are 6d

Electric Comet

Norwegian wharf rats, a.k.a. brown rats.

I've seen bigger in NJ and NY. Found a super fat 2+ footer under a
trash box while cleaning out underneath. Never knew they could get so
big and fat. No one else did either. It kept three audlts and two dogs
at bay with barred teeth and snarls, then hauled ass towards the local
park. Two people walking up the street made an abrupt backup.

So I guess the rat I saw was a ??d in 4k 3D?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 13:31:19 -0400
Casper wrote:

So I guess the rat I saw was a ??d in 4k 3D?

that is a bigun
some exterminators will not deal with them they will not do it

the reference to 2d for mice was that they typically do not climb
they stay on floors and follow a wall etc

rats will readily climb so they are 3d

wharf rats also climb but nothing seems to stop them

they will chew through concrete so they go where ever they want

if you have those you need a real hunter cat or a smart dog that
has it in their breed

most urban pets would probably be killed and eaten by a wharf rat
if they did not run

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-08-03, Electric Comet wrote:

if you have those you need a real hunter cat or a smart dog that
has it in their breed

I have a gun.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

get a cat
get more bees wax

observe

make sure it is a meat eating cat and not these metro sexual cats
that are afraid of rats

i mention rats because that is more likely your problem

mice are mostly 2d
rats are 3d
norwegian wharf rats are 6d

Electric Comet

Norwegian wharf rats, a.k.a. brown rats.

I've seen bigger in NJ and NY. Found a super fat 2+ footer under a
trash box while cleaning out underneath. Never knew they could get so
big and fat. No one else did either. It kept three audlts and two dogs
at bay with barred teeth and snarls, then hauled ass towards the local
park. Two people walking up the street made an abrupt backup.

So I guess the rat I saw was a ??d in 4k 3D?

One of my Co-orkers moved from NYC to "upstate" (meaning North of
Yonkers . He saw the rats we had, and told his friends back in the
old 'hood that their rats were puny. ...except that they were
opossums, in Duchess County. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does your wife make candles? Or ornaments? I only mentiuon that because my wife does- and I may have .... ahem... swiped her wax on occasion.

-d

On 30 Jul 2016 04:49 PM ,Michael wrote:
I had a few squares of bees wax in my garage shop, but when I looked for them, they seem to have vanished completely, even the one on the lathe. There are also mice in the garage, so I wonder if they eat the stuff. Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Mike

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

Mason Bees (was Bees, slightly OT) Vir Campestris UK diy 6 May 3rd 14 12:13 AM
Question re mice in house ss UK diy 4 February 23rd 12 12:21 PM
Bees invaded my little outdoor frog habitat (how to get rid of bees) Judy Zappacosta Home Repair 11 July 14th 10 03:58 AM
Question- Wood bees and firewood cshenk Home Repair 7 April 28th 08 05:05 PM
Wood bees/Carpenter Bees Problem Stephanie S. Cunningham Home Repair 11 March 26th 07 08:48 PM