Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Is wood stronger than metal per weight?

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or
whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the
rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.

Look for discussions on homebuilt wooden airplanes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in
:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

What's your definition of "stronger"? Compression or
tension or shear? Resistance to flex (i.e. stiffness) or
ability to take multiple cycles of flex (fatigue resistance)?

I'm going to guess for your tricycle application that
stiffness is a key parameter, in which case a tube is
probably the stronger structure.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 3:16:49 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
John Doe wrote in
:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

What's your definition of "stronger"? Compression or
tension or shear? Resistance to flex (i.e. stiffness) or
ability to take multiple cycles of flex (fatigue resistance)?

I'm going to guess for your tricycle application that
stiffness is a key parameter, in which case a tube is
probably the stronger structure.

John

If the user will be riding the tricycle like we did when I was young,
"multiple cycles of flex (fatigue resistance)" is also very important.

If it wasn't the driver riding with one foot on the rear platform, pushing
with the other, it was a friend/sibling standing on the platform.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id530860074
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking John Doe wrote:
No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:10:00 -0000 (UTC)
John Doe wrote:

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

in what way is weight a concern in your application

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 07/27/2016 11:10 AM, John Doe wrote:
No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.

Balsa is both the lighest wood *and* the strongest wood for its weight.
Black Widow Spider webs are stronger than steel.

What you want is an oval balsa tube externally braced with spider webs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

John Doe wrote:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or
whatever other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform,
for the rear end of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

At the moment, I'm planning to buy and use this...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Without the rear section. Not used as a drift trike.

For argument, I'm talking about a straight crosswise board or
rectangular aluminum tube, which one will stand up to greater pressure
(including over time).

This is something I have wondered about from time to time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,free.spirit
No Name

Crossposting psychopathic troll...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Felix wrote:

John Doe wrote:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or
whatever other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform,
for the rear end of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Balsa is both the lighest wood *and* the strongest wood for its
weight. Black Widow Spider webs are stronger than steel.

What you want is an oval balsa tube externally braced with spider
webs.

You wouldn't be making fun of spiders if they were 3 feet tall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,free.spirit,free.usenet,free.spam

My spankings have left some bruises on the nym-shifting troll...

From: " " . .
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,free.spiri t
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 17:01:54 -0500

Crossposting psychopathic troll...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

in what way is weight a concern in your application

As stated, it is "no big deal". It is something have wondered about from
time to time. It is probably close enough so it doesn't matter in my
application.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
Cydrome Leader wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Properly used, wood is capable of excellent performance, for example
the Mosquito airplane, longbows, stagecoaches, skis, wood-framed
birchbark canoes and Egyptian chariots, which are remarkably light for
a fast off-road vehicle.
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/chariots.htm

Improperly used it's dangerous because the properties of individual
pieces are unpredictable and strong joints require experience to
design and skill to make.

Wood, steel and aluminum have all been used to build light and strong
airplanes, even jet fighters. It's up to you to learn how to apply
them.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2016 2:50 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking John Doe wrote:
No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

Well, this is true, ipe is stronger than aluminum foil but Balsa is
weaker than titanium.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:13:48 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/27/2016 2:50 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking John Doe wrote:
No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

Well, this is true, ipe is stronger than aluminum foil but Balsa is
weaker than titanium.

This is a manageable question if you specify acceptable dimensions and
how the axle is loaded (it depends on the structural section and
dimensions -- either one can be stonger per pound -- except that it
also depends on whether the load is applied in a point), but wood is
so complicated, from a structural standpoint, that just asking "which
is stronger" just leads around in circles.

Here's an example: Douglas Fir is three times stronger than aluminum
per pound in compression -- parallel to the grain axis. Perpendicular
to the grain axis, fir is 1/3 as strong as aluminum in compression.
Tension is much more complicated because of the difficulty of
attaching a load to wood in tension.

If you want to get serious about comparing the two, the easy way is to
look up construction tables for bending horizontal wood beams, and
then getting the specs on an aluminum section that you choose. That
is, one you can *get*.

They're both on the same order or close to it. But arranging the
design for applying loads will give aluminum the advantage. That's one
of the problems with engineering with wood, unless your loads are
purely in compression.

If you want to get into it, this will occupy you for a while:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp...tr113/ch04.pdf

This one has good stuff on beams:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12299...-h/12299-h.htm

The Forest Products Laboratory has a wealth of information, if you
have nothing else to do with your life.

BTW, aside from aircraft, a very successful race car from around 1960
had a chassis made of plywood (the original Marcos GT). And the
stiffness and strength of fir plywood is roughly equivalent to a cored
composite made from polyurethane foam, ordinary S-fiberglass, and
polyester resin.

Not bad.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Here's how to determine the modulus of elasticity value for the
tables:
http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/woo..._stiffness.php

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:10:00 +0000, John Doe wrote:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

"Sandwich-structured composites" (see refs) are one way to build a light
but stiff panel or beam. Some pieces I've tested are stiffer than steel
or aluminum beams weighing ten times as much. You may be able to buy 2'x4'
aluminum honeycomb-core panels online or if you live near an aircraft
factory can get cutoffs that would be large enough. If you have any fab
skills you could make a beam with steel, aluminum, fiberglass, kevlar, or
carbon fiber skins over balsa core.

Refs: http://singcore.com/tag/aluminum-honeycomb-panel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich-structured_composite
http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/mass-reduction-for-mass-appeal-frps-and-cmcs-in-rvs
http://www.fibeco.com/home/composites/
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rctankcombat/SoC-E8ZmTfY
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61259.html

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/28/2016 8:56 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

BTW, aside from aircraft, a very successful race car from around 1960
had a chassis made of plywood (the original Marcos GT). And the
stiffness and strength of fir plywood is roughly equivalent to a cored
composite made from polyurethane foam, ordinary S-fiberglass, and
polyester resin.

Not bad.

There's also the torsion box...

--

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-28, dpb wrote:
On 07/28/2016 8:56 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

BTW, aside from aircraft, a very successful race car from around 1960
had a chassis made of plywood (the original Marcos GT). And the
stiffness and strength of fir plywood is roughly equivalent to a cored
composite made from polyurethane foam, ordinary S-fiberglass, and
polyester resin.

Not bad.

There's also the torsion box...

.....and the Spruce Goose and de Havilland Mosquito bomber and some
WWII landing craft.

nb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2016 5:41 PM, John Doe wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:

John Doe wrote:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or
whatever other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform,
for the rear end of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

At the moment, I'm planning to buy and use this...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Without the rear section. Not used as a drift trike.

For argument, I'm talking about a straight crosswise board or
rectangular aluminum tube, which one will stand up to greater pressure
(including over time).

This is something I have wondered about from time to time.

Depends.

Spruce has been used for aircraft construction because of is strength
to weight ratio. Check out the Spruce Goose for instance.

Too many variables. What size tube? Wall thickness? Alloy? Will it
flex? Should it flex?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 07/28/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Check out the Spruce Goose for instance.

It's birch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 07/28/2016 02:39 AM, John Doe wrote:
Felix wrote:

John Doe wrote:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or
whatever other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform,
for the rear end of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Balsa is both the lighest wood *and* the strongest wood for its
weight. Black Widow Spider webs are stronger than steel.

What you want is an oval balsa tube externally braced with spider
webs.

You wouldn't be making fun of spiders if they were 3 feet tall.

Japanese Spider Crab is horrific.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/f78d72KypOY/maxresdefault.jpg

https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/japanese_spider_crab.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-28, Felix wrote:

Japanese Spider Crab is horrific.

Ewww!

Makes me wonder why all those monster movies of the 50s needed to show
magnified or prop monsters (Tarantula, Mysterious Island, etc).

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Felix wrote:

John Doe wrote:

No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or
whatever other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform,
for the rear end of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Balsa is both the lighest wood *and* the strongest wood for its
weight. Black Widow Spider webs are stronger than steel.

What you want is an oval balsa tube externally braced with spider
webs.

You wouldn't be making fun of spiders if they were 3 feet tall.

Japanese Spider Crab is horrific.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/f78d72KypOY/maxresdefault.jpg

https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/japanese_spider_crab.jpg

I wonder what Red Lobster charges for one of those.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2016 3:40 PM, Felix wrote:
On 07/28/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Check out the Spruce Goose for instance.

It's birch.

Them *******s! Can't trust anyone. Next thing you know you'll be
telling me them Hollywood babes have fake tits or something.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/27/2016 2:50 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking John Doe wrote:
No big deal, but I want to know. Partly curious.

I want to use a crosswise board or an aluminum rectangular tube (or whatever
other metal would be appropriate) as a two wheel platform, for the rear end
of a tricycle.

I want more intelligent/experienced guesses about the situation. Not
concerned about workability, weather resistance, etc.

I see some opinions on the Internet that go both ways.

Thanks.

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

Well, this is true, ipe is stronger than aluminum foil but Balsa is
weaker than titanium.

Then there is bamboo

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Then there is bamboo

Technically that is a grass.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

Is your bike made of metallic tubing or wood?

There are bicycles made of wood (the frame, at least).
It doesn't lend itself to mass-production, so most
bicycles will be metal or composite (e.g. carbon fiber).

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-28, Felix wrote:

Japanese Spider Crab is horrific.

Ewww!

Makes me wonder why all those monster movies of the 50s needed to show
magnified or prop monsters (Tarantula, Mysterious Island, etc).

Because Fukushima hadn't happened yet?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:38:19 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Then there is bamboo

Technically that is a grass.

John

Many decades ago, when Japanese cars were still a joke, Road & Track
ran a spoof about a Japanese F1 car, with a frame made of bamboominum
tubing...

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2016 8:02 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Well, this is true, ipe is stronger than aluminum foil but Balsa is
weaker than titanium.

Then there is bamboo

But bamboo is a grass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/28/2016 8:38 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Gunner wrote in
:

Then there is bamboo

Technically that is a grass.

Technically, that would be botanically...

--

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:38:19 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Then there is bamboo

Technically that is a grass.

John

True...but is it wood, or not?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

True...but is it wood, or not?

Gunner, we usually only call dicots 'wood'. 'Woody' monocots are not
usually included in that genre. A weird exception might be palm trunks
used as fence posts, but they're _barely_ 'woody', at their best.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 4.170:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

True...but is it wood, or not?

I would not call bamboo products wood. I suspose I might refer
to a quantity of bamboo intended for building something "lumber".

A weird exception might be palm trunks
used as fence posts, but they're _barely_ 'woody', at their best.

I just cut a dead palm down. I would not call that wood either.
("pain in the ass" is what I would call it...)

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:35:12 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

True...but is it wood, or not?

Gunner, we usually only call dicots 'wood'. 'Woody' monocots are not
usually included in that genre. A weird exception might be palm trunks
used as fence posts, but they're _barely_ 'woody', at their best.

Lloyd

So a bamboo pole structure used as a scaffold is made up of grass.

Interesting. Then I should have said..."wood like"

Gunner

---