Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Covering metal shelves

In my new shop I have some Steelcase metal cabinets I picked up for
$100 and I want to cover the shelves with some sheet vinyl left over
from a bathroom floor. It isn't a thick vinyl but should last for some
years as shelf liner.

I am looking for the name of some spray-on glue that I can use. I
would like to be able to removed the vinyl when necessary.

Spray on rubber cement -if there is such a thing- would work if
applied correctly but it has been years since I used it.
I am guessing that today there are more options.

Anybody have a recommendation.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:53:17 -0500
swalker wrote:

Anybody have a recommendation.

why not just lay it on and leave it

will it slide around

if removing it is a criteria it will be messy no matter what
adhesive you use

although maybe some dbl sided tape would do

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:53:22 PM UTC-5, swalker wrote:

I am looking for the name of some spray-on glue that I can use. I
would like to be able to removed the vinyl when necessary.

Anybody have a recommendation.

Jim

3M spray glue, at your auto parts store, for head liners and for foam products, should do the job just fine. I'm sure there are other brands, as well.... at hobby shops, Walmart, etc.

Do a practice spray, as the nozzle tip is likely for a narrow spray at close range and wide spray for farther away.

Usually, clean up is with mineral spirits, if you get any glue on something other than desired. Read the can for clean up.

When done, turn the can upside down and spray until clean air comes out, to clear the nozzle tip, otherwise, next time you use it, the tip will be clogged.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2016 6:53 PM, swalker wrote:

In my new shop I have some Steelcase metal cabinets I picked up for
$100 and I want to cover the shelves with some sheet vinyl left over
from a bathroom floor. It isn't a thick vinyl but should last for some
years as shelf liner.

I am looking for the name of some spray-on glue that I can use. I
would like to be able to removed the vinyl when necessary.

Spray on rubber cement -if there is such a thing- would work if
applied correctly but it has been years since I used it.
I am guessing that today there are more options.

Anybody have a recommendation.

Jim

If you want to be able to remove it an adhesive is probable going to be
too permanent. I would go with double stick carpet tape.