Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Replacement handwheel handles...

6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic
180 planer. Can find a number with threaded stud; no joy for 1/4"
grooved pin for this drive-in application so far. Anybody know a
source? Original was nylon handle according to parts manual, metal
would be nice replacement...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

--

Have you looked at what McMaster has to offer for Hand-wheels?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-wheels/=138nkky

I've been getting old faucet handles from my local ReStore. Stuff they
had tossed in their recycle bin. Usually brass, a spline, set screw,
too nice to just toss... Give them a donation for the stuff I scrounge.

If it were me I would bore the center out of one (lathe) and slip it
over a stud in the wheel. Maybe a snap ring to hold it on the stud
(shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I made a hand wheel for the vise on my hv band saw. I found that making
the handle was quite enjoyable. There were aesthetic & ergonomic
elements not usual in metalworking.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic
180 planer. Can find a number with threaded stud; no joy for 1/4"
grooved pin for this drive-in application so far. Anybody know a
source? Original was nylon handle according to parts manual, metal
would be nice replacement...

--

Have you looked at what McMaster has to offer for Hand-wheels?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-wheels/=138nkky

Yeah, I had--afaict they've got no replacement handles, only the full
monty handwheels -- at almost $200...

I've been getting old faucet handles from my local ReStore. Stuff they
had tossed in their recycle bin. Usually brass, a spline, set screw,
too nice to just toss... Give them a donation for the stuff I scrounge.

No such animuhl here; too small a market...I did an eBay search but
didn't find a match for the present need...but, discovered that PM still
has the pin for not a terrible price; while I don't have a lathe I could
probably manage to turn an acceptable handle on the drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I made a hand wheel for the vise on my hv band saw. I found that making
the handle was quite enjoyable. There were aesthetic & ergonomic
elements not usual in metalworking.

I made a plastic knob, complete with a bunch of milled in scalloped grips
on a rotary table. It ended up looking pretty close to the original, and
that wasn't even the intention. Unlike the original it's made of plastic
that won't shatter now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 4:59:42 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic

would something like this work? https://www.grizzly.com/products/Spo...wheel-6-/H3191

sorry for the clumsy post. I think this may be the first time I"ve posted to this NG. or maybe any NG.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/11/2016 7:20 PM, wrote:
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 4:59:42 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic

would something like this work?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Spo...wheel-6-/H3191

I've got the original cast wheel, it's just the handle missing. I see
they've got some threaded ones, too, but not the style to match.

Thanks, didn't think of the Grizz for pieces/parts...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2016 4:59 PM, dpb wrote:
6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic
180 planer. Can find a number with threaded stud; no joy for 1/4"
grooved pin for this drive-in application so far. Anybody know a
source? Original was nylon handle according to parts manual, metal
would be nice replacement...

--

Grizzly, you'll find something like it.
You may need to thread it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Try this... http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:240470)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:31:21 -0500
dpb wrote:

On 07/11/2016 4:22 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 15:59:34 -0500
wrote:

[...]

Have you looked at what McMaster has to offer for Hand-wheels?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-wheels/=138nkky

Yeah, I had--afaict they've got no replacement handles, only the full
monty handwheels -- at almost $200...

I've been getting old faucet handles from my local ReStore. Stuff they
had tossed in their recycle bin. Usually brass, a spline, set screw,
too nice to just toss... Give them a donation for the stuff I scrounge.

No such animuhl here; too small a market...I did an eBay search but
didn't find a match for the present need...but, discovered that PM still
has the pin for not a terrible price; while I don't have a lathe I could
probably manage to turn an acceptable handle on the drill press.

Had a fuggly idea later on while I was out for a run/walk. You could
probably use a bicycle pedal. Cut off at least one of the outer
rubber/cage pieces or both to suit your fancy. Ideally drill/tap the
existing hole to fit the pedal threads. Other wise just grind the
threads down till they get to your press in size needed...

If you don't have any around hit up some bicycle repair joints. They
should be able to find you something suitable to play with

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
On 07/11/2016 7:20 PM, wrote:
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 4:59:42 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic

would something like this work?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Spo...wheel-6-/H3191

I've got the original cast wheel, it's just the handle missing. I see
they've got some threaded ones, too, but not the style to match.

Can't you just turn one and epoxy in a stud on one end? That's what
I did for the missing handle on my breast drill (I used a bit of scrap
cherry).
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/12/2016 8:03 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Can't you just turn one and epoxy in a stud on one end? That's what
I did for the missing handle on my breast drill (I used a bit of scrap
cherry).

It'd be a lot simpler if I had a lathe, but yes, I noted in an earlier
response wherein somebody else made the same/similar suggestion I could
likely rough one out using the drill press...was hoping to avoid the
exercise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
On 07/12/2016 8:03 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Can't you just turn one and epoxy in a stud on one end? That's what
I did for the missing handle on my breast drill (I used a bit of scrap
cherry).

It'd be a lot simpler if I had a lathe, but yes, I noted in an earlier
response wherein somebody else made the same/similar suggestion I could
likely rough one out using the drill press...was hoping to avoid the
exercise.

Or just use a hardwood dowel from the local lumberyard? 0.75in -1.00in?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2016 9:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 07/12/2016 8:03 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Can't you just turn one and epoxy in a stud on one end? That's what
I did for the missing handle on my breast drill (I used a bit of scrap
cherry).

It'd be a lot simpler if I had a lathe, but yes, I noted in an earlier
response wherein somebody else made the same/similar suggestion I could
likely rough one out using the drill press...was hoping to avoid the
exercise.

--

No excersize at all, I dropped my old delta miter bar and had to replace
te handle, 2 minutes work.

Smoothed using files and sand paper. Piece of cake.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/12/2016 10:45 AM, woodchucker wrote:

...then turned the handle using chisels on the drill press.

Surely not freehand? What did you use for the tool steady?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2016 1:16 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/12/2016 10:45 AM, woodchucker wrote:

...then turned the handle using chisels on the drill press.

Surely not freehand? What did you use for the tool steady?

--

well, yes you can freehand, if you keep the chisel at 45 to 60 degree to
the turning. the tip rides above the top and the mid section of the

Or you can use some scap of wood clampped vertically, or make a T and
clamp it.

A rasp also can be used instead and will quickly shape the handle.

It's up to you.
It was my only way of turning before I got the lathe.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-12, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:31:21 -0500
dpb wrote:

[ ... ]

No such animuhl here; too small a market...I did an eBay search but
didn't find a match for the present need...but, discovered that PM still
has the pin for not a terrible price; while I don't have a lathe I could
probably manage to turn an acceptable handle on the drill press.

Had a fuggly idea later on while I was out for a run/walk. You could
probably use a bicycle pedal. Cut off at least one of the outer
rubber/cage pieces or both to suit your fancy. Ideally drill/tap the
existing hole to fit the pedal threads. Other wise just grind the
threads down till they get to your press in size needed...

It you use the threads, beware that one of each pair is
left-hand threaded. (Or at least, they were back in the 1950s when I
depended on a bicycle for mobility.)

At least for the ones which I had to deal with, the left-hand
threaded ones had the letter 'L' stamped on the flat end of the threaded
part.

And as I remember, they were a rather fine thread for the size,
so you will likely have to go to the bicycle shop (below) to find the
tap you will need.

If you don't have any around hit up some bicycle repair joints. They
should be able to find you something suitable to play with

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Replacement Swedoor handles JB[_12_] UK diy 1 April 15th 16 06:44 PM
Replacement door handles News UK diy 0 June 14th 15 01:13 PM
Replacement Handles for Gouges [email protected] Woodworking 7 January 7th 14 05:23 PM
Where to buy replacement patio door handles? FiestaDriver UK diy 2 May 17th 06 07:51 AM
Replacement handwheel for Delta 12" lathe Todd Fatheree Woodturning 1 January 22nd 05 01:53 PM