Posted to rec.woodworking

Default has live edge run its course

never really liked live edge but i see it all over the place

some like it some do not

years ago when i first saw live edge table i liked it but now i look
and think it needs to be completed

there are some small number of pieces that can look nice with a live
edge

some turnings can look pleasing

fad or for real and here to stay

it has been long for a fad

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 10:55:25 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

years ago when i first saw live edge table i liked it but now i look

and think it needs to be completed

What is there to be completed? I'm at a complete (sic) loss, as to what you mean by "it" not being complete.

fad or for real and here to stay

it has been long for a fad

So, now you're an expert on identifying what is a fad or not? Your pet rock must be getting lonely.

Should we (automatons), all, decorate our dwellings the same way?

One's personal/individual or group (family) preference is not a fad. My perspective for (sometimes) favoring a live edge design is in the realm of decorating, to a significant extent. Decorating a house, office, camp, cottage, bungalow, etc. is not a fad, though "tastes" can change over time. You don't (necessarily) decorate a hunting camp or summer cottage the same as your permanent home, office, etc.

Your approach to this whole matter, or why, is incomprehensible and ludicrous!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2016 12:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 10:55:25 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

years ago when i first saw live edge table i liked it but now i look

and think it needs to be completed

What is there to be completed? I'm at a complete (sic) loss, as to what you mean by "it" not being complete.

Many people have no idea what live edge is let alone appreciate it. I
was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard someone
ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it was not
complete.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2016 8:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/17/2016 12:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 10:55:25 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

years ago when i first saw live edge table i liked it but now i look

and think it needs to be completed

What is there to be completed? I'm at a complete (sic) loss, as to
what you mean by "it" not being complete.

Many people have no idea what live edge is let alone appreciate it. I
was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard someone
ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it was not
complete.

A live edge not only helps make a piece look natural and unique it is
like a certificate of authenticity. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many people have no idea what live edge is let alone appreciate it.

Myself being one of them. But, I do appreciate yer bringing it up and
making folks aware of such a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_edge

Lotta info on the web, natch.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many people have no idea what live edge is let alone appreciate it.

Myself being one of them. But, I do appreciate yer bringing it up and
making folks aware of such a thing.

Hmmmm!? "... appreciate it." Appreciate what? "Aware of such." What is the awareness? Aware of what, exactly? If I may partially answer... it's a form of art, visual arts.

I may have a "weird" perspective, but since grade school, I've been a naturalist. My first major, in college, was Wildlife Boiology. Many ideas of design are rooted in nature's designs. I supsect there's some basic aesthetics, in natural designs, that people gravitate to, hence lending themselves to having these elements within their home, offices, etc.

I don't always strive to have something of nature's design incorporated into a project, but when I do, and when I suspect someone else does, also, then, when we succeed in presenting that design, there's an even more appreciation of success, than otherwise.

The description, in the Wiki link, mentions the "style" being western and/or rustic. To me, that's kind of generic. I tend to think of it more as back-to-basics, as for as design elements, Picasso, etal.

When a live edge piece has knots and other figured elements, then "we" see the surreal elements (surrealism art forms - Dali) in it.

Don't consider just the edge, being natural. Look at the whole project, to see what ALL is there.... whether it's a table, a picture, a sculpture, a building, etc.

The task is not always to build a structure, but to create or reveal something you can't simply touch. Often times, nature already has the elements. We just have to find them or stumble upon them, then use them. There's a reason why George Nakashima is famous for his woodwork, but Mother Nature deserves some of the credit, too.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:58:11 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Hmm, you sound a bit defensive. While you consider yourself a naturist,
others consider a live edge an ugly detraction. As I said, many people
are unaware of such things. Check out the bowls at Bed Bath & Beyond or
Kohs. You can go through life and never see a turning or table top with
a live edge.

One more question. I just built a TV stand out of birds eye cherry. Do
I need a primer if I paint it with latex+ plan to use a roller for a
smooth finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One more question. I just built a TV stand out of birds eye cherry. Do
I need a primer if I paint it with latex+ plan to use a roller for a
smooth finish.

No - a primer is not necessary. Just apply additional coats of latex
until you get a good build. Then knock it down with 80 grit and follow
that with repeated rubbing down with a brown paper bag until you get the
desired level of finish. Roller or foam pad will work, as will even a
cheap brush. Might just take another brown paper bag or two to get to
the desired finish.

Hope this helps...

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.

I tend to see it in camps and log cabins, and rarely in "mid century
modern" homes. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

That's because neither robots or Chinese sweatshops make live-edge
furniture. ;-) You'll often see it in artsy-craftsy sorts of stores
and shows, though.

One more question. I just built a TV stand out of birds eye cherry. Do
I need a primer if I paint it with latex+ plan to use a roller for a
smooth finish.

Any cherry needs red paint, at least six coats of latex, is preferred.
Oh, wait, it birds eye may be black cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.

You don't see live edge on furniture from Ikea.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 18:41:11 -0400, Mike Marlow
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One more question. I just built a TV stand out of birds eye cherry. Do
I need a primer if I paint it with latex+ plan to use a roller for a
smooth finish.

No - a primer is not necessary. Just apply additional coats of latex
until you get a good build. Then knock it down with 80 grit and follow
that with repeated rubbing down with a brown paper bag until you get the
desired level of finish. Roller or foam pad will work, as will even a
cheap brush. Might just take another brown paper bag or two to get to
the desired finish.

Hope this helps...

Now you paint then apply the brown paper bag so it sticks right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.

I tend to see it in camps and log cabins, and rarely in "mid century
modern" homes. ;-)

I have seen a few in high end office space and conference rooms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.

I tend to see it in camps and log cabins, and rarely in "mid century
modern" homes. ;-)

I have seen a few in high end office space and conference rooms.

Yes, and doctor's offices. High-end being the key phrase. They're
not mass produced in China so it tends to be expensive. It's not
surprising that EC hasn't seen it anywhere. He can't even afford a
shift key.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.

You don't see live edge on furniture from Ikea.

Live-edge particle board? Maybe someone should suggest it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One more question. I just built a TV stand out of birds eye cherry. Do
I need a primer if I paint it with latex+ plan to use a roller for a
smooth finish.

No - a primer is not necessary. Just apply additional coats of latex
until you get a good build. Then knock it down with 80 grit and follow
that with repeated rubbing down with a brown paper bag until you get the
desired level of finish. Roller or foam pad will work, as will even a
cheap brush. Might just take another brown paper bag or two to get to
the desired finish.

Hope this helps...

Now you paint then apply the brown paper bag so it sticks right?

That's if you want the decoupage finish...

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was in a shop that had some turned bowls for sale and overheard
someone ask "why don't they trim off the ugly edge?" They thought it
was not complete.

i like the look of sharp lines created with tools or machines juxtaposed
against the random patterns in the wood

i cannot recall ever seeing live edge furniture in a home

not even a man cave

Perhaps your limited exposure, limits your vision.

I tend to see it in camps and log cabins, and rarely in "mid century
modern" homes. ;-)

SFMoma, which just had a grand opening of their new exhibit
space, is building out a ground-floor restaurant; all the tables
are live-edge.

It's very common in the shops in Monterey and Carmel to find live-edge
redwood burl furniture.

I've a live-edge redwood burl coffee table.

Live-edge claro walnut slabs: http://www.bakerhardwoods.com/