Posted to rec.woodworking

Default new toy

More than a quarter century ago I bought a 3 1/2 HP Bosch 1611 router when I
was making new cabinets for our condo prior to selling it. It did a good
job.

It has continued to do a good job during the intervening years, mostly in my
router table but hand held as well. However, there have been lots of
changes and improvements over the years and I decided to get a new router
for my remaining years.

I really liked the Bosch so I naturally considered their newest and
greatest; the others were a Makita and Triton. I bought the Triton. Not
the 3+ HP one, the 2 1/4 HP, more than sufficient for any of my needs.

I don't intend to give a review but some of the things that influenced my
decision in no particular order...

1. generally well thought out and ergonomic

2. in the table bit changes

3. automatically locking spindle for bit changes

4. self releasing collet...no more tapping the nut with a wrench to get it
to release

5. fail safe switch, can't be turned on when changing bits

6. rack & pinion as well as push/pull

7. micro adjustment either above or below table (no need to buy anything
extra)

8. easy on/off edge guide...2 spring loaded carriage bolts in the base,
loosen the wing nuts, push bolts put a bit, put steel edge guide keyholes
over bolt heads, slide, tighten wing nuts. The edge guide is very solid,
could easily be used as the plate for the router table. I didn't, would
have had to make a new top but I did attach my old plate via the carriage
bolts.

In brief, I really like the router. If you are considering a new one, check
it out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2016 1:05 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Jeeeeez this is kinda creepy.

I bought a Bosch 1611 in the late 80's IIRC and used it in a router
table for many years. Adjusting it was royal PIA and it did not have
variable speed. I replaced it coming up on 12 years ago with a Triton,
the big one and paid $357 with tax. That was the going price back then.

Ugly as it can be but I have enjoyed the fact that it pretty much does
the job of 2 big routers. Mine unfortunately does not have the above
table adjustment but below the table is right up in front, I mounted it
with the lock lever on the back right side and switch on the front left
side. The beast has no issue with spinning a large raised panel bit.

Only one problem last year, the speed controller began to fail and would
allow the router to speed up to wide open unexpectedly. Not a good
thing with a wide raised panel bit mounted. I did get a new speed
controller and it runs like new.