Posted to rec.woodworking

Default employing the golden mean

also known as the golden ratio
the golden portion
and many others

when making some small tables i decided to use this ratio for the
surface area

it is pleasing to the eye

do you ever employ this technique in your work

where or what have you used it on

the next book case i make i plan to do this for the height and width
dimensions

speaking of heights and widths i saw an good old joke from steven
wright

some people are afraid of heights
not me i am afraid of widths

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-12, Electric Comet wrote:

also known as the golden ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

it is pleasing to the eye

It is? Apparently, my eye is askew.

where or what have you used it on

I've not used it. In fact, never even heard of it until about 2 wks
ago, when my buddy (pro carpenter) came over and happened to mention
it.

Lotta "if's", "maybe's", "claims", and "said to be's". Looks more
like one of those "Paul is dead" guess-a-thons.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-12, Electric Comet wrote:

also known as the golden ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

it is pleasing to the eye

It is? Apparently, my eye is askew.

where or what have you used it on

I've not used it. In fact, never even heard of it until about 2 wks
ago, when my buddy (pro carpenter) came over and happened to mention
it.

Lotta "if's", "maybe's", "claims", and "said to be's". Looks more
like one of those "Paul is dead" guess-a-thons.

nb

There is something to it, even in nature
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5985588/15-un...atio-in-nature

No rule says you have to follow it, but generally it is pleasing to the
eye. There are some basic design rules that are used for appearance,
but break the rules properly and you can still have something of beauty.
Its all in how out brain works and how we perceive things.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-12, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Its all in how out brain works and how we perceive things.

No wonder I'm always wrong.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:41:55 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No rule says you have to follow it, but generally it is pleasing to
the eye. There are some basic design rules that are used for
appearance, but break the rules properly and you can still have
something of beauty. Its all in how out brain works and how we
perceive things.

the ratio is found all over in nature or the work of god or whatever
you like

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 08:53:23 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

also known as the golden ratio
the golden portion
and many others

when making some small tables i decided to use this ratio for the
surface area

it is pleasing to the eye

do you ever employ this technique in your work

If you actually do wood working does anything ever fit together
properly given that your decimal point is missing?
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

If you actually do wood working does anything ever fit together
properly given that your decimal point is missing?

He's fine if he uses fractions, but the slash is also missing.

I guess he could always express everything in 32's of an inch... Like a
standard 64 by 128 by 3072. (Nominal, of course.)

Puckdropper

Golden rule Jack Handey Metalworking 0 July 26th 08 03:39 PM
Golden Calf Mkop Metalworking 3 January 21st 08 02:27 AM
golden care [email protected] UK diy 0 November 10th 07 06:23 PM
How to fix a noisy Akai 1730D-SS or possibly any model employing the obsolete Sanyo LD3141 Linear Amplifier IC [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 October 11th 06 05:17 PM
advice on building a roof and employing a builder. Trevor UK diy 3 June 30th 04 05:56 PM