DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Jigsaw jams too often (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/394478-jigsaw-jams-too-often.html)

[email protected] May 16th 16 06:31 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

Hi,
My Black & Decker jigsaw works if I ease into a cut, but recently has started to jam (and I hear the motor spin really fast and I hear gears slip) if I try to cut too fast. As I release the trigger, it starts to move again if no force is applied to the cut. So, it works, but only if I bring it up to full speed before starting a cut and avoid any sudden cuts or turns. Is this something easily repairable, or time to buy a new one?
Advice appreciated.
Many thanks
Theodore.

John McCoy May 16th 16 06:57 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

wrote in
:

Hi,
My Black & Decker jigsaw works if I ease into a cut, but recently has
started to jam (and I hear the motor spin really fast and I hear gears
slip) if I try to cut too fast. As I release the trigger, it starts
to move again if no force is applied to the cut. So, it works, but
only if I bring it up to full speed before starting a cut and avoid
any sudden cuts or turns. Is this something easily repairable, or
time to buy a new one? Advice appreciated.
Many thanks
Theodore.

You don't say what model it is, so just taking a wild guess
at the problem I suspect the orbital action has become worn,
and is allowing the reciprocating motion to disengage when
the blade is forced backward.

I'm also going to guess that it is something not easily or
cheaply repairable.

Note that B&D are on the lower end of the price and quality
spectrum. If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

(having said that, I recently repaired a 35 year old B&D jigsaw,
but I had to have a machinist friend make a part for me to do
so, which isn't an option most people have).

John

notbob May 16th 16 07:59 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

.....or a Makita.

Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower.
Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower.
I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust
outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|

nb

Leon[_7_] May 16th 16 08:37 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

....or a Makita.

Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower.
Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower.
I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust
outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|

nb

Unfortunately jigsaws with blowers don't always clear the path either.

notbob May 16th 16 09:22 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Unfortunately jigsaws with blowers don't always clear the path either.

I kinda suspected that, but some blower has jes gotta be better than
no blower, at all. ;)

Here is the best reviews I've found:

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/testin...shelf-jigsaws/

Amazing! The Mafell can be had fer under $1K. ;)

nb

Swingman May 16th 16 09:50 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/16/2016 12:31 PM, wrote:
My Black & Decker jigsaw works if I ease into a cut, but recently has started to jam (and I hear the motor spin really fast and I hear gears slip) if I try to cut too fast. As I release the trigger, it starts to move again if no force is applied to the cut. So, it works, but only if I bring it up to full speed before starting a cut and avoid any sudden cuts or turns. Is this something easily repairable, or time to buy a new one?
Advice appreciated.

It's a tool that will often get the job done, but not handily as it ages
and wears, as you're finding out. If you use it enough to justify a
better tool, now is the time to upgrade.

The old sayings around here for twenty years or mo in #2 below, et al, :

A great excuse to buy a new tool, and, "Buy the best, and only cry once ..."

By our old Economist friend Luigi Zanasi, (AKA on FaceBook Luigi Dena
Ch'ŏ Zanasi)

http://www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Puckdropper[_2_] May 16th 16 10:55 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

wrote in
:

Hi,
My Black & Decker jigsaw works if I ease into a cut, but recently has
started to jam (and I hear the motor spin really fast and I hear gears
slip) if I try to cut too fast. As I release the trigger, it starts
to move again if no force is applied to the cut. So, it works, but
only if I bring it up to full speed before starting a cut and avoid
any sudden cuts or turns. Is this something easily repairable, or
time to buy a new one? Advice appreciated.
Many thanks
Theodore.

I took one of them apart once. The orbital mechanism was a pin on a
shaft that spun in a slot connected to the blade. As the shaft spin, the
pin (located way off center) would move in the slot and thus change
height and result in the blade going up and down. Chances are, that's
where your trouble is.

Like the others (well respected members of the group, btw) have said,
it's time to replace it. A friend of mine let me borrow his Bosch, and
when I said "Thank You" for the loan, he said "don't thank me, you're
just going to have to go buy one." I did.

Puckdropper

krw[_6_] May 17th 16 12:37 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

....or a Makita.

Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower.
Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower.
I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust
outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

Swingman May 17th 16 12:54 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/16/2016 6:37 PM, krw wrote:

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

Leon[_5_] May 17th 16 04:49 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Unfortunately jigsaws with blowers don't always clear the path either.

I kinda suspected that, but some blower has jes gotta be better than
no blower, at all. ;)

Here is the best reviews I've found:

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/testin...shelf-jigsaws/

Amazing! The Mafell can be had fer under $1K. ;)

nb

I have an old Milwaukee that is a stellar saw but the blower in
ineffective. It does have a hole for locating a vac hose and that works
pretty good but I still never use it.

Leon[_5_] May 17th 16 04:55 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

....or a Makita.

Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower.
Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower.
I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust
outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

LOL. It would be very hard to justify replacing a Bosch unless you use it
"a lot" and it does not have the quick change blade feature.

IIRC Swingman has an older Bosch that has the blade change set up that is
similar to operating a combination lock. I think he pulls out the owners
manual each time he changes blades. :-)

[email protected] May 17th 16 05:07 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

Hi, I'm the OP.
Sounds very much like my jigsaw's time is not long for this earth.
Thanks for the advice, on all parts.

J. Clarke[_4_] May 17th 16 12:04 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

In article ,
says...

On 5/16/2016 6:37 PM, krw wrote:

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

Keep it. My old one died (needs a part that's no longer available)
after several decades and quite frankly compared to the old one the new
one is a piece of crap. I find that blade guides or no, half the time
it decides it's going to cut a bevel whether I want one or not. I
suspect that the quick change doesn't hold the blade as firmly as the
old screw-from-the-top clamp.

Leon[_5_] May 17th 16 01:26 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 5/16/2016 6:37 PM, krw wrote:

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

Keep it. My old one died (needs a part that's no longer available)
after several decades and quite frankly compared to the old one the new
one is a piece of crap. I find that blade guides or no, half the time
it decides it's going to cut a bevel whether I want one or not.

suspect that the quick change doesn't hold the blade as firmly as the
old screw-from-the-top clamp.

I would suspect you would be wrong.

Larry Blanchard May 17th 16 05:29 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On Mon, 16 May 2016 18:54:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

I've got one of those as well. Never compared it with a newer one as
this one still works like a charm. And I bought it refurbished!

carrying a cross.

Swingman May 17th 16 05:55 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/17/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 18:54:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

I've got one of those as well. Never compared it with a newer one as
this one still works like a charm. And I bought it refurbished!

Leon was right though ... I do have to RTFM to change the blade.

Moreso the older I get.

woodchucker[_3_] May 17th 16 06:58 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

....or a Makita.

Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower.
Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower.
I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust
outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|

nb

My dewally has a blower.

--
Jeff

notbob May 17th 16 07:41 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-17, woodchucker wrote:

My dewally has a blower.

Apparently, I got the cheap one. I recall it came with a palm sander.

I also bought the DW 13V drill gun, not realizing there was such a
thing as a drill/driver. Duh.

I've leaned a lot, since then. I now have a used Hitachi
drill/driver. Waaaay better. ;)

nb

woodchucker[_3_] May 17th 16 08:09 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-17, woodchucker wrote:

My dewally has a blower.

Apparently, I got the cheap one. I recall it came with a palm sander.

I also bought the DW 13V drill gun, not realizing there was such a
thing as a drill/driver. Duh.

I've leaned a lot, since then. I now have a used Hitachi
drill/driver. Waaaay better. ;)

nb

I have a 10v hitachi drill and impact driver set. I got it because I
wanted a light duty drill. Well the drill is ok (chuck sucks won't
tighten and stay tight especially in reverse) but the surprise was the
little impact driver. its really nice.

I like both (don't get me wrong), I wanted light weight and the ability
to stand up.

I am not a fan of many of the dewally stuff. Some are good, many lately
have me wondering what happened to them. To me they are becoming
consumer grade.

--
Jeff

notbob May 17th 16 08:19 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-17, woodchucker wrote:

tighten and stay tight especially in reverse) but the surprise was the
little impact driver. its really nice.

Mine is a 13V drill/driver with mostly dead batteries. The batteries
will hold up fer around-the-house stuff, but my buddy who gave it to
me is a pro and wanted longer bat life, so got a new 18V Hitachi. I
can buy new batteries, but the old one's are OK, fer now. I'd already
gone out and bought a true impact driver, thinking that was my only
solution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ImpactDriverWithBits.png

.....but that was before I knew about "drill/drivers". Love my
Hitachi, even with the old batteries. ;)

nb

John McCoy May 17th 16 08:26 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

woodchucker wrote in news:oIydneDJrsT98abKnZ2dnUU7-
:

I have a 10v hitachi drill and impact driver set. I got it because I
wanted a light duty drill. Well the drill is ok (chuck sucks won't
tighten and stay tight especially in reverse)

Yeah, my Hitachi drill does that too. Seems to be a generic
problem with Hitachi chucks. Otherwise a nice drill.

John

Leon[_7_] May 17th 16 11:12 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/17/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 18:54:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

I've got one of those as well. Never compared it with a newer one as
this one still works like a charm. And I bought it refurbished!

LOL, Probably refurbished because it was too hard to remember how to
replace the blade. A stellar saw other than that single element.

Leon[_7_] May 17th 16 11:24 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-17, woodchucker wrote:

My dewally has a blower.

Apparently, I got the cheap one. I recall it came with a palm sander.

I also bought the DW 13V drill gun, not realizing there was such a
thing as a drill/driver. Duh.

I've leaned a lot, since then. I now have a used Hitachi
drill/driver. Waaaay better. ;)

nb

I have a 10v hitachi drill and impact driver set. I got it because I
wanted a light duty drill. Well the drill is ok (chuck sucks won't
tighten and stay tight especially in reverse) but the surprise was the
little impact driver. its really nice.

If you ever consider replacing, consider a Festool drill.
I know, I know...

I have owned a 9.6 volt Panasonic drill/driver, the best until I bought
the Festool, 2- Dewalt 9.6 volt drills/drivers, and a 12 volt Makita
drill/driver and 12 volt Makita impact driver. And won an 18 volt Bosch
impact.

I used the Makita impact as much as the drill up until the batteries
were pooping out and I replaced with the 15 volt Festool with the
attachments. Since getting this drill I on an occasion or two have used
the Bosch impact, mostly as a drill so that I don't have to switch
driver bits with drill bits.
Anyway the Festool drills seem to have an amazing amount of power. I
can start a 3" #10 deck screw into a 2x4 to fasten to another 2x4. I
can drive slowly, quickly, stop, start slowly, what ever I want. I'm
not sure I have ever stalled the drill.

Anyway Festool is really getting serious about selling their drills and
they can be had for less than $300 these days.

Just food for thought.

I like both (don't get me wrong), I wanted light weight and the ability
to stand up.

I am not a fan of many of the dewally stuff. Some are good, many lately
have me wondering what happened to them. To me they are becoming
consumer grade.

A friend bought a DeWalt jig saw several years ago. You could be sawing
and suddenly no longer cutting. The blade would come right out of the
saw. We never quite figured out how to hold our mouths to get the saw
to permanently hold the blades.

woodchucker[_3_] May 18th 16 12:35 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-17, woodchucker wrote:

My dewally has a blower.

[...]

That's still giving up 2 legs and 2 testicles .. less than $300, last
time I looked they were $500 which in my mind was not worth it.

krw[_6_] May 18th 16 12:56 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On Tue, 17 May 2016 07:04:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 5/16/2016 6:37 PM, krw wrote:

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance
routine.

Keep it. My old one died (needs a part that's no longer available)
after several decades and quite frankly compared to the old one the new
one is a piece of crap. I find that blade guides or no, half the time
it decides it's going to cut a bevel whether I want one or not. I
suspect that the quick change doesn't hold the blade as firmly as the
old screw-from-the-top clamp.

I've never had a problem with my "new" (6-7YO) Bosch. It's stellar.

krw[_6_] May 18th 16 01:00 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to
look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.

....or a Makita.

Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower.
Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower.
I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust
outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|

I'd think the sawdust sucker on a (cue Leon) Festool would be a big
plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time
I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.

LOL. It would be very hard to justify replacing a Bosch unless you use it
"a lot" and it does not have the quick change blade feature.

My Bosch does have the quick-change feature.

I don't "justify" anything to do with woodworking. It's a hobby. By
definition, it can't be justified. ;-)

IIRC Swingman has an older Bosch that has the blade change set up that is
similar to operating a combination lock. I think he pulls out the owners
manual each time he changes blades. :-)

That would suck.

[email protected] May 18th 16 03:02 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-17, woodchucker wrote:

My dewally has a blower.

Apparently, I got the cheap one. I recall it came with a palm sander.

I also bought the DW 13V drill gun, not realizing there was such a
thing as a drill/driver. Duh.

I've leaned a lot, since then. I now have a used Hitachi
drill/driver. Waaaay better. ;)

nb

I have a 10v hitachi drill and impact driver set. I got it because I
wanted a light duty drill. Well the drill is ok (chuck sucks won't
tighten and stay tight especially in reverse) but the surprise was the
little impact driver. its really nice.

I like both (don't get me wrong), I wanted light weight and the ability
to stand up.

I am not a fan of many of the dewally stuff. Some are good, many lately
have me wondering what happened to them. To me they are becoming
consumer grade.

That was inevitable when B&D took them over.
Used to be B&B made decent pro tools too - but hat is decades ago.

Leon[_5_] May 18th 16 05:47 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-16, John McCoy wrote:

[...]

If it is a hobby and you can afford it that is enough justification. :-)

Leon[_5_] May 18th 16 05:49 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

My dewally has a blower.

http://festools-online.com/564513-fe...-2-6-plus.html

Puckdropper[_2_] May 18th 16 02:33 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

Leon wrote in
:

http://festools-online.com/564513-fe...txs-li-2-6-plu
s.html

Why do I feel like I have to be over 18 to visit that site?

Oh, and guys look: FREE T-SHIRT OR CAP!

Puckdropper

Leon[_7_] May 18th 16 04:33 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/18/2016 8:33 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

http://festools-online.com/564513-fe...txs-li-2-6-plu
s.html

Why do I feel like I have to be over 18 to visit that site?

Oh, and guys look: FREE T-SHIRT OR CAP!

Puckdropper

Hey! LOL. Just bringing your attention to the new pricing.

While my lone Festool drill does not completely replace my 18 volt
impact, should my impact poop out I will probably switch over to a
ratchet to manually install lag screws, if the Festool drill can't drive
them, but so far it does.
I probable have not used the impact over 4~5 times in the last 4-1/2
years since getting the Festool drill. My Festool drill has pretty much
made my impact obsolete.

FWIW I visited the Festool road show and was given the option of a
Festool cap or a Festool 15 volt battery. I took the battery. ;~)

Electric Comet May 18th 16 04:51 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

repairable, or time to buy a new one? Advice appreciated. Many thanks

buy a bosch
you will not regret it
especially if you do a lot of jigsawing

Swingman May 18th 16 05:03 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/18/2016 8:33 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Oh, and guys look: FREE T-SHIRT OR CAP!

Hey, it you can sell used cars with ten thousand balloons and a giant
flag, or two ...

Besides, Linda loves my NEW Festool hat I won for visiting their road
show last month.

She wears it all the time ...

Larry Blanchard May 18th 16 11:17 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On Tue, 17 May 2016 17:12:48 -0500, Leon wrote:

On 5/17/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 18:54:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ...
and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing
dance routine.

I've got one of those as well. Never compared it with a newer one as
this one still works like a charm. And I bought it refurbished!

LOL, Probably refurbished because it was too hard to remember how to
replace the blade. A stellar saw other than that single element.

When I worked part time at Woodcraft, one of the power tool reps told me
to always buy a factory refurbished tool over a new one. His logic was
that when a tool was returned, the reason was often hard to determine.
So the repair crew went through and checked everything. A more thorough
testing than the new ones received.

carrying a cross.

Swingman May 18th 16 11:22 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/18/2016 5:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
When I worked part time at Woodcraft, one of the power tool reps told me
to always buy a factory refurbished tool over a new one. His logic was
that when a tool was returned, the reason was often hard to determine.
So the repair crew went through and checked everything. A more thorough
testing than the new ones received.

My rationale exactly, when I buy a refurbished/returned/scratch n'dent
laptop from Dell when I need a new(er) one.

Hasn't failed me yet ...

krw[_6_] May 19th 16 12:29 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

On Wed, 18 May 2016 22:17:25 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

[...]

Or it could be a latent defect that got through test in the first
place and will again every time they do the same tests. I wouldn't
worry too much about it for tools but I'd never buy any refurb
electronics.

Leon[_7_] May 19th 16 02:17 AM

Jigsaw jams too often

[...]

That makes perfect scene.

Mike Marlow[_5_] May 19th 16 05:04 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

krw wrote:

Or it could be a latent defect that got through test in the first
place and will again every time they do the same tests. I wouldn't
worry too much about it for tools but I'd never buy any refurb
electronics.

I buy refurb electronics all of the time, and have for a lot of years.
Never had a single problem with any of the stuff I've bought. Often
times the refurb process is to simply replace the offending part with
brand new and make it available. Hardly any different from buying brand
new. Generally speaking they also upgrade any parts that have been
superseded by revisions or updates as well.

--
-Mike-

notbob May 19th 16 05:22 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-19, Mike Marlow wrote:

Never had a single problem with any of the stuff I've bought.

Lucky you!

I've had Century-Link replace my DLS/wifi modem 3 times. The first
two shipped to me were refurbs, neither of which solved the problem.

**NOTE: Century-Link will ship nothing BUT refurbs. NO new modems
shipped to customers**

The third was also a refurb, which the C-L tech brought to my house.
He tried to tell me, "that's the way it is, sometimes". I told him I
was having none of it. I wanted it working right!

He finally relented and said we could try one more thing, but he'd hafta
go to the shop. Back in about 15 mins, he brought a BRAND NEW modem.
Same model as the previous three, but not a refurb. It worked!!
Problem solved. End of story. (which is true)

What were you saying about refurbs? ;)

nb

[email protected] May 19th 16 06:12 PM

Jigsaw jams too often

On 2016-05-19, Mike Marlow wrote:

Never had a single problem with any of the stuff I've bought.

Lucky you!

I've had Century-Link replace my DLS/wifi modem 3 times. The first
two shipped to me were refurbs, neither of which solved the problem.

**NOTE: Century-Link will ship nothing BUT refurbs. NO new modems
shipped to customers**

The third was also a refurb, which the C-L tech brought to my house.
He tried to tell me, "that's the way it is, sometimes". I told him I
was having none of it. I wanted it working right!

He finally relented and said we could try one more thing, but he'd hafta
go to the shop. Back in about 15 mins, he brought a BRAND NEW modem.
Same model as the previous three, but not a refurb. It worked!!
Problem solved. End of story. (which is true)

What were you saying about refurbs? ;)

nb

Refurbed junk is still junk. Some stuff should never be sold, new or
refurbed - and if something has an intermittent problem it is very
likely the refurb process won;t find and fix the problem. A lot of
what is sold as refurb is just stuff that had damaged packaging or has
been dropped in shipping do the manufacturer will not puit on full
warranty.