Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Countertops

Ran across these great looking cherry countertops and was wondering
how well they will hold up to daily abuse.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/244786#comment-3160274
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2016 9:46 AM, Casper wrote:
Ran across these great looking cherry countertops and was wondering
how well they will hold up to daily abuse.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/244786#comment-3160274

Cherry is a relatively soft wood. I think it might be my last choice
for a kitchen counter top.

Cherry is about 10% harder than "Longleaf" Pine. About 80% harder than
"yellow" Poplar which is really soft.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
Ran across these great looking cherry countertops and was wondering
how well they will hold up to daily abuse.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/244786#comment-3160274

Not well. Not so much because it is cherry but because the top finish is
going to get scratched, worn, etc. Being cherry, it will also get dented
(in all probability) and that is also going to mess up the top coats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 May 2016 10:46:14 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Ran across these great looking cherry countertops and was wondering
how well they will hold up to daily abuse.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/244786#comment-3160274

They look beautiful but I'd never have them in a family kitchen.
They'd never last and there are far better materials for countertops.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2016 10:46 AM, Casper wrote:
Ran across these great looking cherry countertops and was wondering
how well they will hold up to daily abuse.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/244786#comment-3160274

Very pretty but I doubt the beauty would last much beyond the photo shoot
if the kitchen was actually used for its intended purpose. I've only seen
one working kitchen with wooden countertops that I'd want to emulate. That
was in a kitchen at a B&B in the Scottish highlands where I stayed; they
had 5cm beech strip countertops which were sourced somewhere in the old
Soviet bloc and which had no shiny finish to show the wear. After several
years of relatively heavy usage they still looked presentable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 12:15:48 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:
On 5/9/2016 10:46 AM, Casper wrote:
Ran across these great looking cherry countertops and was wondering
how well they will hold up to daily abuse.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/244786#comment-3160274

Very pretty but I doubt the beauty would last much beyond the photo shoot
if the kitchen was actually used for its intended purpose. I've only seen
one working kitchen with wooden countertops that I'd want to emulate. That
was in a kitchen at a B&B in the Scottish highlands where I stayed; they
had 5cm beech strip countertops which were sourced somewhere in the old
Soviet bloc and which had no shiny finish to show the wear. After several
years of relatively heavy usage they still looked presentable.

What if wood hardener, such as http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-41700-P.../dp/B000BPINKS, was used prior to final finish? Would this be a food-safe no-no?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 1:23:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

or penetrating epoxy, such as http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...840_em_1p_0_ti ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2016 12:23 PM, wrote:

What if wood hardener, such as
http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-41700-P.../dp/B000BPINKS, was used prior to final finish? Would this be a food-safe no-no?

Although they are not unheard (Butcher block counter tops come into and
out of vogue), there is a good reason you don't often see wooden counter
tops in a residential kitchen.

Even with the thickest of finishes (the type you see in bars) the
environment just isn't conducive to longevity.

As long as you are prepared to refinish them about ever 10 years or so,
like the look, and consider the inevitable dings and gouges as
attractive "character", they are certainly doable.

The other considerations is future sale value. Having built and sold a
number of houses, and unless things change drastically in the future, I
can pretty well say they would not be adding value after moderate use,
simply because of the continuing maintenance required.

Then again, for every home for sale, there is someone for whom it is ideal.

While I think the photo was absolutely gorgeous, IMO it is an
impractical solution for the task.

YMMV...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com