DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how many tape measures in your shop (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/393508-how-many-tape-measures-your-shop.html)

Electric Comet April 21st 16 04:54 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

DerbyDad03 April 21st 16 05:00 PM

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 11:57:01 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

notbob April 21st 16 05:54 PM

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

When I was a young carpenter trainee, my new Lufkin 25' tape broke on
my 2nd day on the job. I undid the lock and the tape recoiled back
into the case, as it is supposed to. When it reached the "hooked
tab", the tab simply snapped off and the tape recoiled fully into the
housing, rendering the unit a doorstop. I never bought another
Lufkin, ever again. Even when SnapOn rebranded Lufkins as SnapOn's, I
could still see they were Lufkins and wouldn't buy.

I now have two Stanley's (25'/30') and an Ace Hardware (25'), which
looks suspiciously like a rebranded Stanley. These are my "real"
tapes. I have a few other shorter/junkier tapes, one ina day-glo
green plastic case.

Everyone is going cheap. I recall when I replaced my Lufkin with a
25' Stanley ('70), the Stanley had a fastener (nails, wood screws, etc)
guide on the back of the first 2 ft of the tape. Very handy. No
longer. :(

nb

Keith nuttle April 21st 16 06:23 PM

On 4/21/2016 11:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

I have about 4 in the 6 to 12' range, and thinking of adding another, as
I still can not find one when I need it. I also have 3 more in the 12
to 50' range, that stay put so I don't need as many in any one range.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] April 21st 16 06:59 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on
the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

notbob April 21st 16 07:08 PM

On 2016-04-21, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

I usta carry my golfcart key ona day-glo orange 3' tape measurer
keyring. I must have about half a dozen cheapo tapes. ;)

nb

Puckdropper[_2_] April 21st 16 07:14 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:nfb2ao$1jan$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

I have about 4 in the 6 to 12' range, and thinking of adding another, as
I still can not find one when I need it. I also have 3 more in the 12
to 50' range, that stay put so I don't need as many in any one range.

Just one. Work stops until I find it, which means it never gets burried.
Sometimes something gets put on top of it, but it doesn't stay that way for
long.

I've another one out on the layout, no idea where it is. When I measure
out there, it's usually with calipers.

One or two in the tool bag in the car (I don't remember if it's just the
little one, or if I picked up a HF freebie for it. I need to if I haven't,
but if I have I don't need to.)

Hey, maybe next April Lee Valley will come out with a folding story stick!

Puckdropper

John Grossbohlin[_4_] April 21st 16 07:27 PM

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on
the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession with
measuring is all about... ;~)

John McCoy April 21st 16 07:28 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

Electric Comet wrote in news:nfat1u$g74$6
@dont-email.me:

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

Probably 3. They tend to appear and disappear randomly (plus
I think my girlfriend has my "big numbers" Lee Valley tape).
Plus one in the truck.

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either
the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

John

DerbyDad03 April 21st 16 08:51 PM

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:27:25 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on
the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession with
measuring is all about... ;~)

I can't even tell you where most of them came from. I know I bought the
Stanley Max 30', and the 2 (3?) HF's were free, but the smaller ones
(15', 10', even 3') just sort of appeared over the years.

whit3rd April 21st 16 08:54 PM

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 8:57:01 AM UTC-7, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

How many? What an odd question. I suppose, though, they ARE countable,
in some sense.

One in the living room, one in the dining room, two in the shop smock, two next to
the drill press, one with the table saw, and probably a dozen others in useful
places (or what I once deemed to be useful places).

They aren't exactly like pencils, because I can't put one in each pencil/pen mug. Wrong shape.

Bill[_47_] April 21st 16 09:09 PM

whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 8:57:01 AM UTC-7, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

They aren't exactly like pencils, because I can't put one in each pencil/pen mug. Wrong shape.

Ah, so my favorite is a 6' one, 3/16" wide (blade) and 1 3/4" in total
diameter (I just measured it with itself--I started to reach for a
ruler, but that's a long story...). You can carry in your pocket without
any inconvenience. Perfect for toting with you. A present from dad (no
doubt, free from ACO). He said, "Here take this, and you'll find it
useful someday.". And he was right..

DerbyDad03 April 21st 16 09:17 PM

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:31:38 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in news:nfat1u$g74$6
@dont-email.me:

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

Probably 3. They tend to appear and disappear randomly (plus
I think my girlfriend has my "big numbers" Lee Valley tape).
Plus one in the truck.

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either
the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

John

Just don't use a cloth tape. They stretch. Measuring tapes that stretch
will give you inaccurate numbers. DAMHIKT

Leon[_5_] April 21st 16 09:24 PM

Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6

It does not matter how many you have. It matters that they all measure the
same, and those need to measure the same as the rule on your TS.

Markem[_2_] April 21st 16 09:26 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:27:32 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on
the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession with
measuring is all about... ;~)

Fishing and dick size?

Keith nuttle April 21st 16 10:20 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the
ones on the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession
with measuring is all about... ;~)

Actually from most things you can create a pattern without a tape, and
then use the pattern to make the rest of the item you are making.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] April 22nd 16 12:41 AM

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message ...

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession
with measuring is all about... ;~)

Actually from most things you can create a pattern without a tape, and then
use the pattern to make the rest of the item you are making.

That is what got me thinking... marking gauge, sliding bevel, dividers,
story sticks... those are typically how I work with hand tool projects. On
the other hand, when working with sheet goods it helps a lot to cut things
right. ;~)

[email protected] April 22nd 16 12:44 AM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:54:35 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

I think the real answer for most guys is "not sure - they keep
appearing and dissappearing"

I know I have 2 "good" ones and somewhere around half a dozen
"roamers" which tend to migrate to the truck one month, the basement
the next, and then scatter to the far corners of the property for a
while before congregating in the garage or on my dresser - - - - .

[email protected] April 22nd 16 12:48 AM

how many tape measures in your shop

:

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

Probably 3. They tend to appear and disappear randomly (plus
I think my girlfriend has my "big numbers" Lee Valley tape).
Plus one in the truck.

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either
the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

John

Must be fun when you start cutting 2X4s or 4X8 sheets for a
renovation job!!!!

[email protected] April 22nd 16 12:48 AM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:54:41 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 8:57:01 AM UTC-7, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

How many? What an odd question. I suppose, though, they ARE countable,
in some sense.

One in the living room, one in the dining room, two in the shop smock, two next to
the drill press, one with the table saw, and probably a dozen others in useful
places (or what I once deemed to be useful places).

They aren't exactly like pencils, because I can't put one in each pencil/pen mug. Wrong shape.

They don't fit too well behind your ears either - - -

[email protected] April 22nd 16 12:50 AM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:17:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:31:38 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in news:nfat1u$g74$6
@dont-email.me:

i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

Probably 3. They tend to appear and disappear randomly (plus
I think my girlfriend has my "big numbers" Lee Valley tape).
Plus one in the truck.

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either
the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

John

Just don't use a cloth tape. They stretch. Measuring tapes that stretch
will give you inaccurate numbers. DAMHIKT

Fiberglass tapes are pretty handy for some jobs that steel ones are
no good for - and they don't shrink when it's cold out - - -

krw[_6_] April 22nd 16 01:53 AM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:00:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 11:57:01 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to
need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

krw[_6_] April 22nd 16 01:54 AM

wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones on
the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Thinking about this for a moment I've got to wonder what this obsession with
measuring is all about... ;~)

It's the only way I can be sure that mine's bigger than yours. ;-)

krw[_6_] April 22nd 16 01:58 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 15:24:33 -0500, Leon wrote:

Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6

It does not matter how many you have. It matters that they all measure the
same, and those need to measure the same as the rule on your TS.

They don't need to measure the same. Jus' gotta use the same one for
the entire job. I use the same tape setting up the cut, too.

graham[_5_] April 22nd 16 02:12 AM

On 21/04/2016 9:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

and how many Stanley/Olfa knives?
Graham

woodchucker[_3_] April 22nd 16 02:43 AM

On 4/21/2016 12:54 PM, notbob wrote:
[...]

I have a lufkin that is probably 45 years old and it's still strong. Not
my favorite, it's an old center button lock.

But I think any tape can do that, especially one with a tightly wound
spring.

I have Stanley lever locks (which I like), but now I prefer my Komelon.
It occasionally needs an alcohol cleaning to keep from slipping, but I
like the mechanism, and tape. Light weight too.

--
Jeff

Leon[_5_] April 22nd 16 05:22 AM

Electric Comet wrote:
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6

It does not matter how many you have. It matters that they all measure the
same, and those need to measure the same as the rule on your TS.

They don't need to measure the same. Jus' gotta use the same one for
the entire job. I use the same tape setting up the cut, too.

But my TS Has its own rule and a lot more accurate than using a tape to set
the fence. It is helpful that a tape measure matches that.

John McCoy April 22nd 16 01:36 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

wrote in news:3kpihb95nteijggo9hldd2ag5lpkqal1rc@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either
the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

Must be fun when you start cutting 2X4s or 4X8 sheets for a
renovation job!!!!

Don't do too much renovation :-)

But yeah, long stuff over 4' the tape measure is the right tool.
For drywall and plywood, I have a 4' square (and the ability to
do subtraction when I need something longer than 4').

John

Leon[_7_] April 22nd 16 01:48 PM

wrote:

I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either
the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.

Must be fun when you start cutting 2X4s or 4X8 sheets for a
renovation job!!!!

Don't do too much renovation :-)

But yeah, long stuff over 4' the tape measure is the right tool.
For drywall and plywood, I have a 4' square (and the ability to
do subtraction when I need something longer than 4').

John

I mostly use a tape measure to verify a measurement. Basically to
verify I used the correct side of a whole inch increment on a rule or
story stick. You know, LOL when the measure is upside down and the
numbers go the opposite direction.

I was certainly glad to finally be able to go up to 96" on the new
Woodpeckers story stick.

Jack April 22nd 16 03:25 PM

On 4/21/2016 4:09 PM, Bill wrote:

Ah, so my favorite is a 6' one, 3/16" wide (blade) and 1 3/4" in total
diameter (I just measured it with itself--I started to reach for a
ruler, but that's a long story...). You can carry in your pocket without
any inconvenience. Perfect for toting with you. A present from dad (no
doubt, free from ACO). He said, "Here take this, and you'll find it
useful someday.". And he was right..

I have an 8' Stanley with a 1/4" blade. It's a little smaller than a
pocket watch and fits perfect in the watch pocket of my jeans. I used
to wonder why jeans still have a watch pocket since about no one carries
one. It's not close to my favorite but it is always with me, and out of
the way in the watch pocket, which should be renamed to tape pocket:-)

I also have a probably a dozen or so tapes, and my favorite was a 10'
Stanely. Now my favorite is a 12' Stanley, I couldn't find a 10' that I
prefer in the cabinet shop. Stanley's are always accurate. Measure your
cheap HF and other giveaways and you will likely be very surprised at
how inaccurate they can be, something to always be aware of when measuring.

My biggest bitch on all of them is the 1/32 measurement they all seem to
have in the first foot. Really stupid. I'd like only 1/16th, as 1/32"
is too small to see, and I can get close enough visually cutting
1/16th in half. If I need 1/32 which is close to never, I can use a
micrometer.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack April 22nd 16 03:40 PM

On 4/21/2016 9:43 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I have a lufkin that is probably 45 years old and it's still strong. Not
my favorite, it's an old center button lock.

I think I have that exact same tape. Not my favorite either. I like
Stanley lever locks myself. Never used a Komelon. If they have a small
10' w/o those damned 1/32" markings, I'll get one. Just went to there
site, and they have a 10' one, but looks like it has the damnable 1/32"
markings.... yuck!

notbob April 22nd 16 04:27 PM

On 2016-04-22, krw wrote:

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to
need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a
tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)

nb

krw[_6_] April 22nd 16 11:24 PM

On 2016-04-22, krw wrote:

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to
need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a
tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)

I fixed that problem by needing glasses full time. My eyes went from
20:15 to can't read without prescription glasses in less than a year.

[email protected] April 23rd 16 12:49 AM

On 2016-04-22, krw wrote:

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to
need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a
tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)

I fixed that problem by needing glasses full time. My eyes went from
20:15 to can't read without prescription glasses in less than a year.

Them durn "cadillacs" in the eyes 'll do that!!

Brewster[_2_] April 23rd 16 02:53 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones
on the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Among the dozen or so scattered around the house, I have a very small
Stanley 3-footer as a fob on my car keys. Invaluable for those
spur-of-the-moment needs to measure something.

Funny thing was that I bought this from Amazon ($1.89) to fill an order
and reach the magic (at that time) $25 free shipping limit. It was
shipped as a separate item, in a 12"x10"x6" box via UPS. Very well
packed/protected from shipping damage to their credit..

-BR

krw[_6_] April 23rd 16 04:02 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 07:53:30 -0600, Brewster wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

2 in the shop, at the moment.

Four in my shop if you count the ones in my tool box as well as the ones
on the workbench shelf.

Now ask me about the garage, kitchen, offices (home and work), vehicles,
trailer, basement, etc.

Ditto... I can see three on the book shelf in my office alone!

Among the dozen or so scattered around the house, I have a very small
Stanley 3-footer as a fob on my car keys. Invaluable for those
spur-of-the-moment needs to measure something.

Funny thing was that I bought this from Amazon ($1.89) to fill an order
and reach the magic (at that time) $25 free shipping limit. It was
shipped as a separate item, in a 12"x10"x6" box via UPS. Very well
packed/protected from shipping damage to their credit..

I hope you gave them a good rating on the packaging survey for that
one. ;-)

J. Clarke[_4_] April 23rd 16 05:21 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

In article ,
says...

On 2016-04-22, krw wrote:

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to
need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a
tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)

I fixed that problem by needing glasses full time. My eyes went from
20:15 to can't read without prescription glasses in less than a year.

Them durn "cadillacs" in the eyes 'll do that!!

I'm still 20:15. The trouble is that I'm not 20:15 at any distance
that's _useful_ anymore. Far away it's a blur, up close it's a blur,
but a couple of feet farther than I can reach it's needle sharp.

krw[_6_] April 23rd 16 08:30 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 12:21:24 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 2016-04-22, krw wrote:

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to
need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a
tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)

I fixed that problem by needing glasses full time. My eyes went from
20:15 to can't read without prescription glasses in less than a year.

Them durn "cadillacs" in the eyes 'll do that!!

I'm still 20:15. The trouble is that I'm not 20:15 at any distance
that's _useful_ anymore. Far away it's a blur, up close it's a blur,
but a couple of feet farther than I can reach it's needle sharp.

So you only need longer arms to read.

Bob La Londe[_7_] April 23rd 16 11:01 PM

"Electric Comet" wrote in message
i count 5 tape measures in the shop

the lufkin lock broke but i still use it the others are stanley and
craftsmen

hf freeby is a tape measure so i go to 6 with one semi working

I've been looking at five in the rear view mirror for a verry long time. I
don't even know how many taper measures are in the shop, but if I count the
ones in the shop, garage, wife's work room, and my service trucks and could
find them all the count might be an order of magnitude more than five.

Electric Comet April 24th 16 06:35 PM

how many tape measures in your shop

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 15:01:36 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

time. I don't even know how many taper measures are in the shop, but
if I count the ones in the shop, garage, wife's work room, and my
service trucks and could find them all the count might be an order of
magnitude more than five.

i only counted the ones in the shop
there are more around somewhere

i have a real old and fragile one that i got as a hand me down from
someone but do not recall who

it is a narrow tape and maybe 10 footer