Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lew Hodgett

Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster
High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree
in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid
life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double
head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away
February 20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated
from Wooster High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical
Engineering
degree in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and
after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at
mid life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft
double head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

I'm really sorry to hear that. I liked Lew and appreciated the fact that he
too was a sailor here in this sea of landlubbers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/7/2016 1:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster
High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree
in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid
life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double
head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

Thanks, I had searched a while back.

RIP Lew.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster
High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree
in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid
life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double
head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

Thanks Edwin. Too bad, but it does happen to all of us at some point.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster
High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree
in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid
life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double
head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

May he be at the helm of a boat that needs no maintaining.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...aspx?pid=17795
8606

Ah, I suspected as much. I'd looked for an obit back around
December when he hadn't posted for a while.

RIP.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
JAS JAS is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away
February 20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from
Wooster High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical
Engineering degree in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State
University) and after meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio
State Professional Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a
wide variety of engineering disciplines which led to the founding of
Hodco Systems, a manufacturers representative firm, in 1986.
Introduced to sailing at mid life, he became an avid sailor and boat
builder, building a 55 ft double head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

May he rest in Peace. My last email I received from him April,2015---The
ribs were great.
Subject: Some More Pig
From: Lew Hodgett

"Lew's Country Ribs"

Ingredients:

4-6 Lb, Country Ribs (Pork Shoulder Strips)
1-3/4 Cup, Soy Sauce
1 Cup, Dark Brown Sugar (Packed)
2 Tbl, Ground Cinnamon

Preparation:

Mix the Soy, Sugar and Cinnamon until all are incorporated to
provide a marinade.

Put meat and marinade in a gallon size plastic bag and seal.

Make sure there is enough marinade to cover all the meat.

Place in reefer, 24-36 hrs, turning every 12 hours.

Note:

Place plastic bag in a dish to form a retaining dike in case
the plastic bag leaks.

Remove meat from plastic bag and place on a rack, in an oven pan,
with fat side up, in a 400F oven for 20 minutes, then reduce
heat to 225F-250F for 45-60 minutes/pound of meat.

Retain excess marinade, pour in a 1 Qt (Small) pot and slowly
bring to a boil, then cool. (Do this carefully or you will caramelize
the sugar.)

Boiling kills all the bad bugs in case you are curious.

The sanatized marinade now becomes the dipping sauce.

Remove meat from oven and allow to rest for about 15-30 minutes.

Cross cut ribs into 1/2" thick medallions, discarding any bones and
unwanted fat in the process.

Place sanatized marinade in a serving cup in middle of serving platter.

Place medallions of meat around the rim of the serving platter.

Drizzle some marinade on medallions of meat.

Serve with toothpicks.

A WORD OF CAUTION

Get the hell out of the road before they run you over. wink

Enjoy

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ahh ... sad news. As a former sailor, I always appreciated Lew's application of marine tech to woodworking. RIP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 1:13:21 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster
High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree
in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid
life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double
head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

In his memory, I'm going to sprinkle some West Systems 406 filler in a nearby lake.

(Just a tiny bit)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/7/2016 12:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

Thanks for finding it. I was just thinking about doing the same search.

Will miss, Lew.
But, he's probably keeping tabs on gas prices wherever he is.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

From: Lew Hodgett

"Lew's Country Ribs"

[...]

Thanks for the recipe. I came late to the party and only read a few of
his posts.

But I am saving this one, keeping his name on it and will make in
honor of Him. It looks good.

RIP Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Wondering what happened to him, I found this

http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016. Born July 23, 1937 in Wooster, Ohio, graduated from Wooster
High School in 1955, earned a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree
in 1960 from Fenn College (Now Cleveland State University) and after
meeting the requirements, was issued his Ohio State Professional
Engineer's license in 1964. His career touched a wide variety of
engineering disciplines which led to the founding of Hodco Systems, a
manufacturers representative firm, in 1986. Introduced to sailing at mid
life, he became an avid sailor and boat builder, building a 55 ft double
head sail ketch. - See more at:
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie....w4yn0VwL.dpuf

Thanks for finding that, Ed. He had a pretty good run.

Pity he didn't live to see the gas prices crash though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, that explains why I haven't heard anything for a while.

A few years ago when I was going through a tough time with one of my folks Lew reached out to me personally and made it a point to keep in touch via email.

Crusty as he was sometimes, he had a really great side to him. We fell out of close touch when things got back on track, and I when I quit the rec for a while I lost track of him.

I remember him as a pretty good guy, a caring guy, and one that really liked his epoxy.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 12:13:21 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

HODGETT LEWIS A HODGETT, PE, age 78, Whittier, CA. Passed away February
20, 2016.

That is sad news. I certainly benefited from Lew's advice, on several occasions.

RIP Lew.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2016 2:58 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Thanks for finding that, Ed. He had a pretty good run.

Pity he didn't live to see the gas prices crash though.

I wonder if the price crash is what did him in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Well, that explains why I haven't heard anything for a while.

A few years ago when I was going through a tough time with one of my folks
Lew reached out to me personally and made it a point to keep in touch via
email.

Crusty as he was sometimes, he had a really great side to him. We fell
out of close touch when things got back on track, and I when I quit the
rec for a while I lost track of him.

I remember him as a pretty good guy, a caring guy, and one that really
liked his epoxy.

Robert

My Lew story.

I had installed some software and got it up and running. It was mentioned
on the rec. Lew installed it too, but he could not get it up and running
and emailed me for some advice. I had no idea. But I gamely made
suggestion after suggestion. Did you try this? Did you try that? About
suggestion 4 or 5, we hit it. It had something to do with a setting in the
software. He was jubilant and thanked me profusely.

He would send me little "thank you notes" of interesting and humorous
stories for awhile afterwards. When you did Lew a favor, he made sure you
knew that he appreciated it.

Rest in Peace Lew. I am sure that gas prices are very reasonable where you
are now. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2016 2:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

When you did Lew a favor, he made sure you knew that he appreciated it.

Yep, advertised that boat he was building on my website for a while,
with a link and photos he could use to point prospective buyers to.

Never was able to use up all that karma with him from that one little
bit of favor, despite a couple of set to's with him over his California
liberal ways ...

And his dedication to his Mom in her later years was notable. That right
there tells you the real measure of a man.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Lew was the first friend I met on this newsgroup. Both being engineers
from about the same time period, Lew and my dad shared a few things in
common. I know that Lew will not soon be forgotten here.

Peace,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...?pid=177958606

I was away for most of April and missed this sad news. Very sorry to
hear of his passing. I didn't know Lew personally but enjoyed his
postings here. Sad truth is as we get older we read the obits more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...aspx?pid=17795
8606

I was away for most of April and missed this sad news. Very sorry to
hear of his passing. I didn't know Lew personally but enjoyed his
postings here. Sad truth is as we get older we read the obits more.

I've been thinking about putting together a list of online sites that
should be notified if I get hit by a bus or something. It would be stored
with any kind of final arrangement documents (wills and the like).

I don't even know if my family could figure out how to post to Usenet, let
alone have any access to my computer systems.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/5/2016 4:28 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Casper wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...aspx?pid=17795
8606

I was away for most of April and missed this sad news. Very sorry to
hear of his passing. I didn't know Lew personally but enjoyed his
postings here. Sad truth is as we get older we read the obits more.

I've been thinking about putting together a list of online sites that
should be notified if I get hit by a bus or something. It would be stored
with any kind of final arrangement documents (wills and the like).

I don't even know if my family could figure out how to post to Usenet, let
alone have any access to my computer systems.

Puckdropper

Good point. My wife cannot even get on my main computer. My daughter
does know where m y list of passwords is for web sites. Amazing how many
I've accumulated over the years with bank, credit cards, utilities, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/5/2016 4:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I use Roboform for my passwords and print a hard copy every so often to
keep in the safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 05 May 2016 20:28:48 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Casper wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...aspx?pid=17795
8606

I was away for most of April and missed this sad news. Very sorry to
hear of his passing. I didn't know Lew personally but enjoyed his
postings here. Sad truth is as we get older we read the obits more.

I've been thinking about putting together a list of online sites that
should be notified if I get hit by a bus or something. It would be stored
with any kind of final arrangement documents (wills and the like).

I don't even know if my family could figure out how to post to Usenet, let
alone have any access to my computer systems.

Puckdropper

Write a drop dead batch file.

Tell the family if you croak to turn on the computer and just hit
enter on that batch file, and include the deletion of things you don't
want nosy types to see, that might take things wrong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:
[...]

What is the batch file supposed to do?

Tell the family if you croak to turn on the computer and just hit
enter on that batch file, and include the deletion of things you don't
want nosy types to see, that might take things wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 May 2016 16:17:56 -0400, Bill
wrote:

OFWW wrote:
[...]

Whatever you tell it to do, run other small programs like one that
opens your news reader, starts a new topic in each ng you want, write
a message, post it, quit. Goto another program, transfer all your
funds over to whoever's account, return, delete a list of files and so
on down the line.

Sometimes a drop dead file can be programmed to initialize with a
preprogrammed key stroke sequence to wipe a disk (hard disk) clean,
hackers used to do it as the feds broke into their apartments or
whatever.

It would take a little time to write, then compile to run as an *.exe,
but it is totally doable.

Tell the family if you croak to turn on the computer and just hit
enter on that batch file, and include the deletion of things you don't
want nosy types to see, that might take things wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OFWW wrote:
[...]

Yes, it sounds like a lot of fun to maintain and test too. By the way a
batch file is almost by definition not an .exe.

Tell the family if you croak to turn on the computer and just hit
enter on that batch file, and include the deletion of things you don't
want nosy types to see, that might take things wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

wrote:

OFWW wrote:
On 05 May 2016 20:28:48 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Casper wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Wondering what happened to him, I found this
http://obits.cleveland.com/obituarie...tuary.aspx?pid
=17795 8606
[...]

The maintain part is what worries me. With the ways websites change (and
I've done it myself to prevent automated stuff), keeping the batch file
alive would be a constant task. It's probably more efficient to put
together a notification list and store it with other important documents
so then your loved ones can handle notifications.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OFWW wrote:
[...]

I recently tested a batch file that was written to wipe my disk clean. The
test was, unfortunately, a resounding success.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OFWW wrote:
[...]

Congratulations.. That sucks!

--
Jeff

Ping Lew Hodgett dadiOH[_3_] Woodworking 8 August 6th 14 12:12 PM
PING: Lew Hodgett Zz Yzx Woodworking 0 June 18th 10 11:20 PM
Ping Lew Hodgett Tanus Woodworking 7 March 9th 08 12:41 AM
Hodgett's book recommendation........... Swingman Woodworking 2 April 8th 07 07:16 PM
Hodgett's book recommendation........... Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 April 7th 07 10:16 PM