Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default My recent years' "woodworking"...

On 11/14/2015 11:18 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

i see a lot of reclaimed barn wood ads so i always thought that old barns
were dying breed

They are; there's no way to economically justify the investment in this
one; it has no real functional use in a modern operation; too small in
driveway width/height to get any equipment in larger than a half-ton
pickup, too small in capacity for animal usage; as another has already
said, hay storage is also passe with modern large bale handling and the
like...

I did it simply for the nostalgia purposes of being the home place and
perhaps eventually some shop space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Snip

--

Reason enough!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/14/2015 12:28 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/14/2015 11:48 AM, dpb wrote:
Snip

I did it simply for the nostalgia purposes of being the home place and
perhaps eventually some shop space.

--

Reason enough!

Yeah, I agree altho at times with the "cut rate" deal they gave on
"hail-season ended" in stock shingles @ $100/sq and then some $8000 for
the paint as just a couple of the bills, I understood why dad had let it go.

The kicker is the oldest building on the place is the old grain elevator
which was built first as two separate buildings on either side of the
driveway; they lived in the west half and the east served as the barn
while they dug the basement for the house and got it "roofed over" with
the first floor subfloor. They then moved over there while it was
finished (ca 1916). They first moved out from further east in KS in
1914; at that time the ground had not yet been broken out of the natvie
sod. We still do have a small pasture that has never been broken out;
it still shows signs of original buffalo wallows and their paths; the
cattle, of course, continued to follow them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:48:19 -0600
dpb wrote:

I did it simply for the nostalgia purposes of being the home place
and perhaps eventually some shop space.

it can only add value and appeal to the property in the long run and
like you said shop space now