Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing hollow interior doors

I sanded this hollow door and I am putting clear polyurethane on, as the
stain on them was very dark. I have 2 spots on one side (see picture) I'm
not looking for perfect but how can I make it so there not so obvious

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 03:44:01 +0000, JMC
wrote:

I sanded this hollow door and I am putting clear polyurethane on, as the
stain on them was very dark. I have 2 spots on one side (see picture) I'm
not looking for perfect but how can I make it so there not so obvious

Paint the door?

Can't see the piictures - so unable to give much more help - but if
spots are light you COULD darken them with stain to match. If the
spots are dark you may be able to make the rest of the door match by
staining the rest of the door darker. Using a "toner" instead of a
penetrating stain allows you to build colour little at a time
(something like polyshades). I blended old and new trim, and even
mahogany and oak to match when I installed the new oak stair railing
on our main staircase using a "mission oak" polyshade product on the
oak and "honey oak" on the previously stained mahogany (had a
fruitwood oil stain applied 30 years ago with no "varnish" over the
stain)
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to clare , JMC wrote:
clare wrote:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 03:44:01 +0000, JMC
Paint the door?
Can't see the piictures - so unable to give much more help - but if
spots are light you COULD darken them with stain to match. If the
spots are dark you may be able to make the rest of the door match by
staining the rest of the door darker. Using a "toner" instead of a
penetrating stain allows you to build colour little at a time
(something like polyshades). I blended old and new trim, and even
mahogany and oak to match when I installed the new oak stair railing
on our main staircase using a "mission oak" polyshade product on the
oak and "honey oak" on the previously stained mahogany (had a
fruitwood oil stain applied 30 years ago with no "varnish" over the
stain)

I finally got the picture to upload see above, I was going to try and see
if I can match the color to a stain what I am worried about is because the
grain in the wood is going the opposite direction. So before staining I
was wondering if there is something else I should do first. Other side of
door is fine this side has two one at top and one at bottom of door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JMC" wrote in message
roups.com...

I finally got the picture to upload see above, I was going to try and see
if I can match the color to a stain what I am worried about is because the
grain in the wood is going the opposite direction. So before staining I
was wondering if there is something else I should do first. Other side of
door is fine this side has two one at top and one at bottom of door.

Short of having someone paint the grain pattern on those areas before
applying the clear finish there isn't much you can do... this as you've
sanded through the veneer. The alternatives would be to paint the entire
side of the door with an opaque paint or stain, or, replace the door slab.

Posted to rec.woodworking

JMC wrote in
roups.com:

I finally got the picture to upload see above, I was going to try and
see if I can match the color to a stain what I am worried about is
because the grain in the wood is going the opposite direction. So
before staining I was wondering if there is something else I should do
first. Other side of door is fine this side has two one at top and
one at bottom of door.

As John G said, you have sanded thru the top layer of veneer,
and exposed the inner layer (which is a softer, lighter colored
wood with the grain going at right angles).

Your choices are pretty much:

1) replace the entire door.

2) buy a new doorskin and glue it over the damaged one.

3) stain the damaged area the same color as the door,
and paint in grain lines to look like the adjacent
surface.

4) stain the damaged area and the surrounding area a
darker color (the eye picks out light areas as "different"
more easily than dark areas).

5) paint the door.

At one time Home Depot stocked door skins, but now they
seem to be a special order thing.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote in message
. ..

At one time Home Depot stocked door skins, but now they
seem to be a special order thing.

I didn't mention that as they don't seem to be available anymore. At least
they aren't from any of the vendors in my area and thus I figured the
problem exists elsewhere. I checked the 2 big box stores as well as 3 other
builder suppliers that cater primarily to the tradesmen... That said, I'm
not sure if the lack of availability is a clerk problem or reality as in
every case they said they'd never heard of such a thing!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

"John McCoy" wrote in message
. ..

At one time Home Depot stocked door skins, but now they
seem to be a special order thing.

I didn't mention that as they don't seem to be available anymore.

Yeah, which is a shame. Cheap 1/8th luaun plywood is kind
of a handy thing for templates and the like.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 1:26:15 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

1) replace the entire door.

They are inexpensive. .... $30? I have 2, in excellent shape, in the barn you can have for free.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 17:44:01 +0000, JMC
wrote:

replying to clare , JMC wrote:
clare wrote:

[...]

You are screwed. You sanded through the very thin top layer of the
plywood. Now it is fill, sand and paint, or replace the door.
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to clare , JMC wrote:
clare wrote:

[...]

http://www.birchwoodbest.com/doorskins.php
http://www.wiusa.com/curvwood/doorsaver.htm
http://www.consmos.com/door_skin_hdf_molded.html
http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wo...169961886.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in
:

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wo...pplies/gluing-
equipment-laminating-veneering/PEEL--STICK-DOOR-SKINS-169961886.html

At $80/ea for that one, I think I'd rather replace the door...

John

Hollow core doors Higgs Boson[_2_] Home Repair 22 April 10th 14 04:32 PM
Are these doors hollow ss UK diy 4 January 7th 12 12:13 AM
refinishing interior door, oversanded? jpenns Home Repair 12 May 22nd 09 12:23 AM
Do solid wood doors block more sound than hollow core doors? Jason Home Repair 7 October 24th 07 06:54 PM
Question hollow core interior doors M.Burns Home Repair 6 December 20th 04 05:51 PM