Posted to rec.woodworking

Default An older project revisited

Almost 3 years ago I was commissioned to design an build a display
cabinet to hold 2 model airplanes plus brochures and give away items at
conventions and meetings. This cabinet was built for Volga Dnepr
Airlines. This company moves large and heavy items all over the world
including military tanks and helicopters. In February my neighbor that
commissioned me to build that booth was on TV in California when the
local news agency covered the loading of a piece of oil refinery
equipment. The piece was well in excess of 100' long and was airlifted
from California to the Middle East.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

This past Thursday night was the company's 25th anniversary and I got to
see the cabinets for the first time in almost 3 years.
Anyway my display cabinet has been set up to display the model airplanes
all over the world in excess of 30 times. I'll say the display looked
better than I expected considering complete disassemble and reassembly
that many times.

The larger model airplane has a wing span of 60" and is approximately
that long also.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 12:32:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

This past Thursday night was the company's 25th anniversary and I got to
see the cabinets for the first time in almost 3 years.
Anyway my display cabinet has been set up to display the model airplanes
all over the world in excess of 30 times. I'll say the display looked
better than I expected considering complete disassemble and reassembly
that many times.

I often revisit projects I've given to friends a relatives and notice they don't always seem to appreciate them as much as I do/did or as much as V.D. Airlines appreciates your project. That was a neat project.

I revisited the coat rack at the camp, this weekend, and finished installing the coat hooks.

Last week, I did some fine sanding of the walnut table top, to get rid of dust nibs. Will use rottenstone next, then wax, sometime this week. I still haven't had help, come by, to move the table into the house. Everyone's been busy.

The cedar table's build/work is progressing slowly. Been filling defects with wood strips and red colored epoxy, lately.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2015 5:27 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 12:32:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

This past Thursday night was the company's 25th anniversary and I
got to see the cabinets for the first time in almost 3 years.
Anyway my display cabinet has been set up to display the model
airplanes all over the world in excess of 30 times. I'll say the
display looked better than I expected considering complete
disassemble and reassembly that many times.

I often revisit projects I've given to friends a relatives and notice
they don't always seem to appreciate them as much as I do/did or as
much as V.D. Airlines appreciates your project. That was a neat
project.

This one was for a large business and apparently I was a last resort
contact to get what they wanted. I was amazed that they could not fond
some one else to do the work. But then again I was under a relative
short deadline. It was an enjoyable job but a load of plastic laminate
on all sides in and out.

I revisited the coat rack at the camp, this weekend, and finished
installing the coat hooks.

Last week, I did some fine sanding of the walnut table top, to get
rid of dust nibs. Will use rottenstone next, then wax, sometime
this week. I still haven't had help, come by, to move the table into
the house. Everyone's been busy.

IMHO you might be over doing it. ;~) I would get rid of the nibs with
a piece of paper wrapped around a small block of wood and apply the wax
with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish.

Be sure to show us pics when it is in its final spot. ;~)

The cedar table's build/work is progressing slowly. Been filling
defects with wood strips and red colored epoxy, lately.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 1:08:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

IMHO you might be over doing it. ;~) I would get rid of the nibs with
a piece of paper wrapped around a small block of wood and apply the wax
with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish.

I'm familiar with that paper wrap technique and it didn't completely get rid of all the nibs. Seems there was more than dust on the surface and 2000 grit sand paper (*crinoline backing on the wood block) did the trick, then I lightly sanded with felt backing on the wood block. I now need finer grit, for further polishing, before using the rotten stone.

*Crinoline is a somewhat stiff "sheet good", sort of like compressed felt, comes in rolls, that is used for making skirts for furniture. It holds the skirts firm and straight, as they drape down, on the furniture. It's about 1/16" thick and is perfect for covering your wood block, before wrapping your newspaper or sand paper. It doesn't allow for a sharp edge, of the wood block, to possibly gouge the finish work, if the wood block is not perfectly flat, for whatever reason.

There have been times when I use just a crinoline wrapped block to "burnish" a finish, rather than using newsprint, burlap, denim or a ScotchBrite pad..

If you have skirts on any of your furniture, you can feel the thin stiffening crinoline sheet inside the skirt's upholstery.
https://actionup.com/shop/skirt-lining-crinoline/

I might suspect your wife may have had reason to use crinoline for some of her sewing appications, at times.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2015 8:24 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 1:08:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

IMHO you might be over doing it. ;~) I would get rid of the nibs
with a piece of paper wrapped around a small block of wood and
apply the wax with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish.

I'm familiar with that paper wrap technique and it didn't completely
get rid of all the nibs. Seems there was more than dust on the
surface and 2000 grit sand paper (*crinoline backing on the wood
block) did the trick, then I lightly sanded with felt backing on the
wood block. I now need finer grit, for further polishing, before
using the rotten stone.

Got'cha

[...]

She mostly does small crafts and quilts of all sizes. She does use that
plastic fiber reinforced shipping strap material that is used to hold
card board boxes together during shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:32:03 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

WOW, That was an impressive load to carry.
Saw your cabinet for the carrier, did you do the planes as well?

Very impressive jewelry cabinets you had pictures of, yours?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

No, the airplanes were built by a pro model airplane builder. Strangely
enough they are not terribly heavy, 20~25 lbs for the big one.
They both are resting on 8mm bolts threaded into the bottom of fuselage.

Very impressive jewelry cabinets you had pictures of, yours?

Yes, I built both several years ago, one for my wife and another at the
same time for a customer/neighbor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thank you BTW.

CFL's revisited Nate Nagel Home Repair 15 January 7th 10 03:12 AM
Well Well revisited ARWadsworth UK diy 1 May 2nd 09 06:25 PM
Well Well revisited ARWadsworth UK diy 0 May 1st 09 11:02 PM
TRV's Revisited The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 November 7th 06 08:45 PM
VFD and RPC Revisited [email protected] Metalworking 4 March 24th 05 04:17 PM