DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bosch Reaxx Table Saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/384878-bosch-reaxx-table-saw.html)

krw[_6_] September 20th 15 05:02 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:18:01 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:45:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

krw wrote in
news:opqmva14cik686vlr9h8ogbaunome4m4fg@ 4ax.com:

Exactly right. I read the patents with a reasonably trained eye
and don't see how Bosch can win but I'd never bet on the outcome
of any civil case in the US courts.

Agreed. Unless the court decides SawStop's patents are overly
broad ("a woodworking machine that retracts a cutting tool by
pivoting" is pretty damn broad), and invalidates them completely,
which is possible but not too likely.

Or perhaps Bosch has discovered prior art that would invalidate the
patents.

Perhaps but the courtroom is an expensive place to show it off. If
they really had something, they'd go to Gass and get a cheap license
in trade for burying the prior art. Simply ignoring a patent is a
very risky proposition. Bosch may think they can afford it, though.

Prior art is a good point, tho. The Patent Office doesn't look
for prior art any longer before issuing a patent (they haven't
done for decades), so it's not uncommon for someone to find it
and challenge a patent on that ground.

Not usually but there is a chance to show the USPTO prior art before a
patent is granted. The point is that the normal way of dealing with
this is to go to the patent holder with prior art in hand and
negotiate a license. That usually does the trick because once that
prior art is out of the bag it's out for everyone. It's in both
parties interest to keep it out of court. Courts are expensive, in
the best case and can mean the whole Magilla if things don't go so
well.

And we don't know what conversations Bosch and SawStop may have
had. Perhaps Bosch did go to them with the prior art, and Gass
said "you're full of it! That wouldn't hold up in court." And
so Bosch decided to find out.

Bosch could have sued to negate the patents, too. This way, they may
end up with tripled damages. It's a big risk.

J. Clarke[_4_] September 20th 15 11:41 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:18:01 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

(1) We do not know that Bosch did not try this. In fact I do not
believe with know with any certainty that Bosch has not obtained a
license from Sawstip.

(2) That it may be "the normal way of dealing with this" does not mean
that doing so is mandatory. Why license something for which no license
is actually needed?

That usually does the trick because once that
prior art is out of the bag it's out for everyone.

And this is a bad thing because? Bosch may see invalidating the Sawstop
patent as a public service. Remember how Mercedes-Benz handled their
antiskid brake patent? They could have done like Gass and demanded huge
licensing fees for it, but instead, since they saw it as having a major
impact on highway safety, they licensed it to everyone at no charge.

It's in both
parties interest to keep it out of court. Courts are expensive, in
the best case and can mean the whole Magilla if things don't go so
well.

It's true that courts are expensive. However there is a long history of
those with deep pockets using this fact to beat the crap out of those
with shallower pockets. Last financials I can find show Sawstop with
about 6 million in total sales. Bosch has about 16 billion in profits.
Bosch is far far more capable of absorbing that expense than is Sawstop.

And we don't know what conversations Bosch and SawStop may have
had. Perhaps Bosch did go to them with the prior art, and Gass
said "you're full of it! That wouldn't hold up in court." And
so Bosch decided to find out.

Bosch could have sued to negate the patents, too. This way, they may
end up with tripled damages. It's a big risk.

For certain values of "big". If it amounts to three times Sawstop's
total revenues then it's about 0.1 percent of Bosch's profits.

Note that Bosch is privately held--they do not have to explain
themselves to shareholders--if they choose to risk a tiny fraction of
profits to swat an annoying fly, so be it.

However they should have just bought the *******, waited until he stuck
his hand in the cookie jar, and then fired him for cause. But maybe
they tried and he was too stupid to sell. This might be a Ford vs
Ferrari situation--Ford tried to buy Ferrari, Enzo told them to sod off,
and so Henry wrote the engineers a blank check and told them to beat
Ferrari on his own ground, and of course they did.

John McCoy September 20th 15 03:42 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

(1) We do not know that Bosch did not try this. In fact I do not
believe with know with any certainty that Bosch has not obtained a
license from Sawstip.

There is a suit filed against Bosch by SawStop in the Oregon
courts (*). While it's certainly possible for a company to sue
another that they have previously licensed, it's uncommon and
unlikely to prevail.

John

(* Oregon does not, apparently, beleive in free access to public
records, or else I'd quote the details)

krw[_6_] September 20th 15 03:43 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 06:41:44 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:18:01 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Since you put two ideas under one bullet, I'll separate them for
you...

1a) We don't know whether they approached SawStop with what they
consider prior art but we do know that if they did, it didn't impress
SS much.

1b) Yes, we certainly do know that Bosch has not obtained a license
from SawStop. If Bosch had obtained a license, SawStop would not have
sued them. That makes no sense at all.

(2) That it may be "the normal way of dealing with this" does not mean
that doing so is mandatory. Why license something for which no license
is actually needed?

Again, with the run-on ideas...

2a) Of course it's not mandatory but courts are exceedingly expensive
and unreliable. There is a reason things are done the way they are.

2b) A license is required if a patent is in force. Their only hope to
come out of the situation without major financial losses is to win the
court case totally. This is pretty rare since the USPTO is considered
the expert on patents, deserved or not.

That usually does the trick because once that
prior art is out of the bag it's out for everyone.

And this is a bad thing because?

Do try to follow along. It's not a good thing for SawStop. It's not
even a good thing for Bosch, if they can get a license cheap (or
free). Patents limit competition, which is in their interest.

Bosch may see invalidating the Sawstop
patent as a public service.

If that's the only alternative but only if.

Remember how Mercedes-Benz handled their
antiskid brake patent? They could have done like Gass and demanded huge
licensing fees for it, but instead, since they saw it as having a major
impact on highway safety, they licensed it to everyone at no charge.

But Gass is not MB, quite obviously.

It's in both
parties interest to keep it out of court. Courts are expensive, in
the best case and can mean the whole Magilla if things don't go so
well.

It's true that courts are expensive. However there is a long history of
those with deep pockets using this fact to beat the crap out of those
with shallower pockets. Last financials I can find show Sawstop with
about 6 million in total sales. Bosch has about 16 billion in profits.
Bosch is far far more capable of absorbing that expense than is Sawstop.

OK, how much of their corporate profits are going to come from table
saws? Are the executives willing to risk the expense of a court trial
against the profits generated by one product? How do they pay this
cost out of profits of a table saw over five years, especially
considering that they're looking at treble damages. Not smart but it
appears that's what's afoot.

And we don't know what conversations Bosch and SawStop may have
had. Perhaps Bosch did go to them with the prior art, and Gass
said "you're full of it! That wouldn't hold up in court." And
so Bosch decided to find out.

Bosch could have sued to negate the patents, too. This way, they may
end up with tripled damages. It's a big risk.

For certain values of "big". If it amounts to three times Sawstop's
total revenues then it's about 0.1 percent of Bosch's profits.

Look at the risk/reward. The reward for Bosch is miniscule. The
risk, large. They are taking on a pretty big risk for a couple of
years in the market.

Note that Bosch is privately held--they do not have to explain
themselves to shareholders--if they choose to risk a tiny fraction of
profits to swat an annoying fly, so be it.

Perhaps but how is SawStop annoying them? Why now? I might agree
more if they'd done it fifteen years ago.

However they should have just bought the *******, waited until he stuck
his hand in the cookie jar, and then fired him for cause. But maybe
they tried and he was too stupid to sell. This might be a Ford vs
Ferrari situation--Ford tried to buy Ferrari, Enzo told them to sod off,
and so Henry wrote the engineers a blank check and told them to beat
Ferrari on his own ground, and of course they did.

Except Ferrari didn't have the patent on the internal combustion
engine and wasn't up against the power of the federal government (and
Goliath vs. David in courtroom full of technical illiterates.

J. Clarke[_4_] September 20th 15 04:08 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

(1) We do not know that Bosch did not try this. In fact I do not
believe with know with any certainty that Bosch has not obtained a
license from Sawstip.

There is a suit filed against Bosch by SawStop in the Oregon
courts (*). While it's certainly possible for a company to sue
another that they have previously licensed, it's uncommon and
unlikely to prevail.

Smacking self in forehead.

Why, oh why do I go online when I'm having fits of insomnia.

J. Clarke[_4_] September 20th 15 04:21 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 06:41:44 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,

says...

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:18:01 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

You are of course correct. I claim insomnia, senior moment,
insufficient caffeine, or all of the above.

(2) That it may be "the normal way of dealing with this" does not mean
that doing so is mandatory. Why license something for which no license
is actually needed?

Again, with the run-on ideas...

2a) Of course it's not mandatory but courts are exceedingly expensive
and unreliable. There is a reason things are done the way they are.

For certain values.

2b) A license is required if a patent is in force. Their only hope to
come out of the situation without major financial losses is to win the
court case totally. This is pretty rare since the USPTO is considered
the expert on patents, deserved or not.

License is not required if patent is not valid. One may go ahead and
license the invalid patent rather than attempting to prove that it is
nto valid. Bosch has apparently chosen not to do this.

That usually does the trick because once that
prior art is out of the bag it's out for everyone.

And this is a bad thing because?

Do try to follow along. It's not a good thing for SawStop.

Of course not. Having something bad happen to Sawstop is the whole
idea.

It's not
even a good thing for Bosch, if they can get a license cheap (or
free).

You are assuming that you understand their objective.

Patents limit competition, which is in their interest.

Only if they see "their interest" in having a partial monopoly on safety
saws. Maybe they are more public-spirited than that.

Bosch may see invalidating the Sawstop
patent as a public service.

If that's the only alternative but only if.

Remember how Mercedes-Benz handled their
antiskid brake patent? They could have done like Gass and demanded huge
licensing fees for it, but instead, since they saw it as having a major
impact on highway safety, they licensed it to everyone at no charge.

But Gass is not MB, quite obviously.

No. But Bosch is a large German company with vast resources, just like
Mercedes-Benz. And perhaps they think like Mercedes-Benz.

It's in both
parties interest to keep it out of court. Courts are expensive, in
the best case and can mean the whole Magilla if things don't go so
well.

It's true that courts are expensive. However there is a long history of
those with deep pockets using this fact to beat the crap out of those
with shallower pockets. Last financials I can find show Sawstop with
about 6 million in total sales. Bosch has about 16 billion in profits.
Bosch is far far more capable of absorbing that expense than is Sawstop.

OK, how much of their corporate profits are going to come from table
saws?

You are assuming that they care.

Are the executives willing to risk the expense of a court trial
against the profits generated by one product?

Obviously.

How do they pay this
cost out of profits of a table saw over five years, especially
considering that they're looking at treble damages.

Why do they have to pay the costs out of the profits from saws?

Not smart but it appears that's what's afoot.

What appears to be afoot is someone with vast resources setting out to
see if they can beat the crap out of Gass.

And we don't know what conversations Bosch and SawStop may have
had. Perhaps Bosch did go to them with the prior art, and Gass
said "you're full of it! That wouldn't hold up in court." And
so Bosch decided to find out.

Bosch could have sued to negate the patents, too. This way, they may
end up with tripled damages. It's a big risk.

For certain values of "big". If it amounts to three times Sawstop's
total revenues then it's about 0.1 percent of Bosch's profits.

Look at the risk/reward. The reward for Bosch is miniscule.

I think you grossly underestimate the public relations value of "beat
the crap out of that Sawstop asshole and made the technology freely
available for everybody".

The
risk, large.

The risk to Bosch is about the same as the risk to you of having a
quarter accidentlly go down the storm sewer while you are flipping it to
determine "heads or tails".

They are taking on a pretty big risk for a couple of
years in the market.

It's only a "big risk" if you consider a few million dollars to be a lot
of money.

Note that Bosch is privately held--they do not have to explain
themselves to shareholders--if they choose to risk a tiny fraction of
profits to swat an annoying fly, so be it.

Perhaps but how is SawStop annoying them? Why now? I might agree
more if they'd done it fifteen years ago.

You'd have to ask them. Perhaps it took them this long to come up with
something that their lawyers believe has a fair chance of prevailing in
court.

However they should have just bought the *******, waited until he

stuck
his hand in the cookie jar, and then fired him for cause. But maybe
they tried and he was too stupid to sell. This might be a Ford vs
Ferrari situation--Ford tried to buy Ferrari, Enzo told them to sod off,
and so Henry wrote the engineers a blank check and told them to beat
Ferrari on his own ground, and of course they did.

Except Ferrari didn't have the patent on the internal combustion
engine and wasn't up against the power of the federal government (and
Goliath vs. David in courtroom full of technical illiterates.

No, they were up against the power of Goliath vs David on the racetracks
of Europe. And in fact I suspect that Ferrari helds a variety of
patents relating to high performance engines. Which were of no
relevance since Ford beat them with brute force and awfulness.

Leon[_7_] September 20th 15 05:42 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/19/2015 4:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Then you have cases in which a good, persuasive trial attorney
performed in court well enough to convince the musically illiterate
that one musical artist "stole" another artist's song. In the
latter, most musicians would shake their heads and say, "There are
only 12 notes on a piano and only so many ways to arrange them, so if
you dissect a song enough you'll soon come to the conclusion that
there hasn't been an original song written in 500 years."

As evidenced by the conclusion (not a trial decision), that the Beatles
ripped off Bethovan. The very same point was raised in the "discussions"
that surrounded that whole thing.

Anyone using a single note is copying some aspect of another artist. Do
you think Beethoven had copywrites?

Then there was ELO that had, IIRC, Roll Over Beethoven.

FrozenNorth[_8_] September 20th 15 05:57 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

-MIKE- wrote:

Then you have cases in which a good, persuasive trial attorney
performed in court well enough to convince the musically illiterate
that one musical artist "stole" another artist's song. In the
latter, most musicians would shake their heads and say, "There are
only 12 notes on a piano and only so many ways to arrange them, so if
you dissect a song enough you'll soon come to the conclusion that
there hasn't been an original song written in 500 years."

As evidenced by the conclusion (not a trial decision), that the Beatles
ripped off Bethovan. The very same point was raised in the "discussions"
that surrounded that whole thing.

Anyone using a single note is copying some aspect of another artist. Do
you think Beethoven had copywrites?

Then there was ELO that had, IIRC, Roll Over Beethoven.

Roll Over Beethoven was a Beatles song, ELO did a remake of it.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Leon[_7_] September 20th 15 06:43 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/20/2015 5:41 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Snip

That usually does the trick because once that
prior art is out of the bag it's out for everyone.

And this is a bad thing because? Bosch may see invalidating the Sawstop
patent as a public service. Remember how Mercedes-Benz handled their
antiskid brake patent? They could have done like Gass and demanded huge
licensing fees for it, but instead, since they saw it as having a major
impact on highway safety, they licensed it to everyone at no charge.

Does anyone know for a fact know what Gass asked for in license fees?

Considering the fact that when other brand vehicles offered anti lock
brakes that this option was offered mostly on the top of the line
vehicles and at a pretty premium additional cost, there was plenty of
wiggle room. And because it was an option the full expense was probably
passed on directly the customer, maybe it also added to the cost of the
base vehicle whether it as included or not.

There are reports that Gass wanted too much for licensing but for an
industry that only now is beginning to not go with status quo and offer
this technology I would be willing to bet that they rejected Gass's
offer more to keep him from proceeding and the good old boys club could
continue to do what it was doing, turning out the same old technology
that we had come to expect. Any deal may have qualified as too
expensive. Letting competition in and watering down the field is too
expensive.

It was only after Gass produced his saw and introduced his safety
features, including the use of a riving knife, that the competition
started to improve their products as far as user safety is concerned.

As what appears to have happened, not taking Gass's license deal, has
probably been more costly. Delta is hardly in the business any more and
not by the same people that owned them 10`15 years ago. Powermatic is
still in business but owned by another company, the same as the one that
owns Jet and a lot of Powermatic and Jet machines for a long time simply
had different paint and stickers.
I believe most American brands have had to restructure or sell to remain
in the market. While paying Gass for his license may have been very
costly and may have sunk some companies it was a mistake and a lesson on
short sightedness. It would have been to Gass's advantage for his
competition to remain viable so that he could profit from his licenses
and maybe not even produce a saw. If your customers/license holders,
are not selling saws, your are not selling licenses. I understood the
licenses were offered as, per unit, sold with the technology.

Fortunately the PM 2000 and their bandsaws appear to be unique,
possibly some others. And fortunately I believe the quality has not
suffered and most likely why they continue to probably be the strongest
competition to SawStop. But then they, IIRC, were the one of the first,
if not the first, American company to offer the riving knife.
From what I have read SawStop has take more than the lions share of the
market with their own saw.

Leon[_7_] September 20th 15 07:51 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Really! Lesson learned. ;~)

John McCoy September 20th 15 11:29 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

And in fact I suspect that Ferrari helds a
variety of patents relating to high performance engines. Which were
of no relevance since Ford beat them with brute force and awfulness.

I don't think I'd describe the GT40 as "brute force" and
certainly not "awfulness". Awesomeness, maybe.

What's interesting there is that, having been given a blank
check by Henry Ford, his engineers took advantage to not
only beat Ferrari at Le Mans, but also to fund Meyer-Drake
to build an Indy engine (later sold to AJ and known as the
Foyt-Ford); to fund Holman-Moody in NASCAR; and to fund
Cosworth to build the DFV that dominated F1 for so long.

John

John McCoy September 20th 15 11:37 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 2015-09-20 12:42 PM, Leon wrote:

Then there was ELO that had, IIRC, Roll Over Beethoven.

Roll Over Beethoven was a Beatles song, ELO did a remake of it.

Really! Lesson learned. ;~)

Roll Over Beethoven is a Chuck Berry song.

And of course Chuck Berry "copied" it from Johnny
B Goode (just like ringin a bell), but since Berry
was also the author of Johnny B Goode that wasn't
a problem.

John

J. Clarke[_4_] September 20th 15 11:45 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

And in fact I suspect that Ferrari helds a
variety of patents relating to high performance engines. Which were
of no relevance since Ford beat them with brute force and awfulness.

I don't think I'd describe the GT40 as "brute force" and
certainly not "awfulness". Awesomeness, maybe.

Ferrari won with small displacement and lots of cylinders. Henry just
stuck a NASCAR 427 in the thing,.

What's interesting there is that, having been given a blank
check by Henry Ford, his engineers took advantage to not
only beat Ferrari at Le Mans, but also to fund Meyer-Drake
to build an Indy engine (later sold to AJ and known as the
Foyt-Ford); to fund Holman-Moody in NASCAR; and to fund
Cosworth to build the DFV that dominated F1 for so long.

As for NASCAR, all the automakers at the time backed NASCAR teams.

John

[email protected] September 21st 15 12:56 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 10:00:03 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Smacking self in forehead.

Why, oh why do I go online when I'm having fits of insomnia.

I dunno...

For those of use that see one of these threads that is based on smut, rumor, hearsay, conjecture, conspiracy, pontificating based on Google research, mountains of faux legal expertise and all the other things that make them up, it provides a few minutes of entertainment.

Sure, punishment for someone like you that wants to make a point. But not so bad for the home players. The sheer volume of conjecture and "knowledgeable" postulation that leads the other self appointed pundits to start the shredding process of one another they disagree with has to be recognized for some entertainment value.

When it gets personal, it's time to get the popcorn. Now we get to see who has the best internet connection and searching skills. Internet-fu. Google-fu. Search-fu. Hearsay-fu. It gets old when people get huffy, get their feelings hurt, or can't believe others don't understand the gravity and value of their opinion.

All part of the entertainment provided at no cost to you!

Chomping on the corn over here...

Robert

Leon[_7_] September 21st 15 02:08 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 2015-09-20 12:42 PM, Leon wrote:

Then there was ELO that had, IIRC, Roll Over Beethoven.

Roll Over Beethoven was a Beatles song, ELO did a remake of it.

Really! Lesson learned. ;~)

Roll Over Beethoven is a Chuck Berry song.

And of course Chuck Berry "copied" it from Johnny
B Goode (just like ringin a bell), but since Berry
was also the author of Johnny B Goode that wasn't
a problem.

John

How can that be?
Wasn't Chuck Berry before Beethoven? ;~)

John McCoy September 21st 15 02:23 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

And in fact I suspect that Ferrari helds a
variety of patents relating to high performance engines. Which
were of no relevance since Ford beat them with brute force and
awfulness.

I don't think I'd describe the GT40 as "brute force" and
certainly not "awfulness". Awesomeness, maybe.

Ferrari won with small displacement and lots of cylinders. Henry just
stuck a NASCAR 427 in the thing,.

That's actually a condemnation of Ferrari's engineering. For
a long endurance race, a large, low-revving engine is more
likely to be durable. Using the largest engine the rules
allowed was intelligent engineering. The same idea was used
by Jaguar many years later, when they used a turbo V6 for
the short races, and the big V12 for Le Mans.

As for NASCAR, all the automakers at the time backed NASCAR teams.

Your understanding of NASCAR history is somewhat lacking.

John

J. Clarke[_4_] September 21st 15 02:41 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

[...]

Perhaps. Living memory is often at variance with book learning.

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 21st 15 03:03 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

J. Clarke wrote:

Perhaps. Living memory is often at variance with book learning.

That's kind of funny. It's clear you do not know John or understand
anything about him. I won't bother to instruct you in how badly you just
made yourself look - I'll just let that happen naturally.

--

-Mike-

J. Clarke[_4_] September 21st 15 04:06 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

J. Clarke wrote:

Perhaps. Living memory is often at variance with book learning.

That's kind of funny. It's clear you do not know John or understand
anything about him. I won't bother to instruct you in how badly you just
made yourself look - I'll just let that happen naturally.

I don't know who he is and I don't care who he is and quite honestly I
neither know nor care who you are either.

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 21st 15 02:56 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

J. Clarke wrote:

Perhaps. Living memory is often at variance with book learning.

That's kind of funny. It's clear you do not know John or understand
anything about him. I won't bother to instruct you in how badly you
just made yourself look - I'll just let that happen naturally.

I don't know who he is and I don't care who he is and quite honestly I
neither know nor care who you are either.

Yeah - that's fine by me. Judging by the number of people you manage to
insult and get into arguments with here, I figure I'm in some pretty good
company in hearing you express your feelings.

--

-Mike-

John McCoy September 21st 15 08:17 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

As for NASCAR, all the automakers at the time backed NASCAR teams.

Your understanding of NASCAR history is somewhat lacking.

Perhaps. Living memory is often at variance with book learning.

Yeah, memory is a tricky thing. I'm guessing you're thinking
NASCAR of the 70's more than the 60's.

After the 1955 Le Mans disaster, all the automakers agreed to
get out of racing. All of them then pretty quickly started
supporting teams under the table, but for several years there
was no official backing of NASCAR teams. Then in the early
60's Plymouth started backing Petty, and as noted upthread,
Ford started funding Holman-Moody. GM stayed out of official
involvement in NASCAR until 1970.

John

J. Clarke[_4_] September 21st 15 10:08 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

As for NASCAR, all the automakers at the time backed NASCAR teams.

Your understanding of NASCAR history is somewhat lacking.

Perhaps. Living memory is often at variance with book learning.

Yeah, memory is a tricky thing. I'm guessing you're thinking
NASCAR of the 70's more than the 60's.

You're probably right. I would have been around 11 when Ford first won
LeMans.

Jack September 23rd 15 01:55 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/20/2015 11:21 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Look at the risk/reward. The reward for Bosch is miniscule.

I think you grossly underestimate the public relations value of "beat
the crap out of that Sawstop asshole and made the technology freely
available for everybody".

I like this idea, unlikely as it is. I would rather cut my arm off than
buy anything from that Sawstop asshole.

If Bosch wins, my next saw will be a Bosch. Chances are good I'll be
well over 100 years old before I wear out my current saws that depend
solely on user for safety.

If I ever cut myself, which gets more likely as I age, I'll simply have
to sue myself...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Leon[_7_] September 23rd 15 02:04 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/23/2015 7:55 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/20/2015 11:21 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Look at the risk/reward. The reward for Bosch is miniscule.

I think you grossly underestimate the public relations value of "beat
the crap out of that Sawstop asshole and made the technology freely
available for everybody".

I like this idea, unlikely as it is. I would rather cut my arm off than
buy anything from that Sawstop asshole.

If Bosch wins, my next saw will be a Bosch. Chances are good I'll be
well over 100 years old before I wear out my current saws that depend
solely on user for safety.

If I ever cut myself, which gets more likely as I age, I'll simply have
to sue myself...

Well Jack, you are of the persuasion that makes emotional decisions
rather than rational, I strongly suspected that.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with that but leaving emotion
out of the decision process typically makes for better decision making.
And that is often hard to do.

When I read your comments, I'll try to remember that.

Jack September 24th 15 02:52 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/23/2015 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 7:55 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Everyone one has emotions. In this case, you can call it emotions, I'll
call it principles. That "Sawstop asshole" tried to get the government
to require every saw manufacturer to license his crap. That to me is an
underhanded way to make a buck, not surprising for a lawyer.

My emotions tell me the first one to cut off a finger and sue Sawstop
for every penny they have would make my day.

My principles tell me not to support an asshole, and, after almost 60
years of safely using saws w/o his crap hanging on it I can probably
live without it. Others may be better off with it, that's fine by me.

Aside from that, if Bosch has a way to do the same thing w/o ruining
your blade, not to mention a $100 mechanism you need to buy from Goss,
then I would buy that tech in my next saw, which will not likely happen
until I'm well into my 100's.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Leon[_7_] September 24th 15 03:48 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/24/2015 8:52 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/23/2015 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 7:55 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Everyone one has emotions.

Absolutely but if used to make decisions the result is a 50/50 chance
that it is not a good one.

In this case, you can call it emotions, I'll call it principles.
I'll call it emotions. You are basing a decision on a product, not by
the product, but by your feelings towards the inventor. And that's ok
if you feel better making decisions that way. But for some one that
might value your opinion on a product yours will not be based on fact if
you let your emotions stand in the way of an honest evaluation of the
product. It is important that I and others understand that.

That "Sawstop asshole" tried to get the government
to require every saw manufacturer to license his crap. That to me is an
underhanded way to make a buck, not surprising for a lawyer.

Welcome to the American way. At least he went about that in a legal way
and in a way that was perfectly with in his rights.

My emotions tell me the first one to cut off a finger and sue Sawstop
for every penny they have would make my day.

I think you are way too invested in wanting revenge for something that
might have happened in the past but did not happen. While I understand
your feelings towards Gass, it is unlikely that his insurance would not
cover the loss and IIRC there are limitations to this type settlement.
Again emotions interfering logical judgement with what is likely to
really happen, if it happened. At least eight years in production and I
don't think there has been a report of even a cut. It is likely that
information would come up in a trial and the jury would probably favor
the defendant rather than sacrifice ending a great safety feature on a
good tool, if they took every penny.

My principles tell me not to support an asshole, and, after almost 60
years of safely using saws w/o his crap hanging on it I can probably
live without it. Others may be better off with it, that's fine by me.

Your emotions have lead you to believe that Gass is an asshole. Have
you met him? He might be a nice guy, not an ass hole. He did not do any
thing wrong, that we know of, other than pursue promoting his product in
a way that you apparently do not agree with. Ignorance is bliss. There
is no telling how many products you use that have come to reality that
affect you every day that yu don't know any thing about.

Aside from that, if Bosch has a way to do the same thing w/o ruining
your blade, not to mention a $100 mechanism you need to buy from Goss,
then I would buy that tech in my next saw, which will not likely happen
until I'm well into my 100's.

Ok, again with the emotional exaggerations. I know the SS brake is
under $70. for the single blade brake and under $90 for the dado brake.
IIRC the Bosch tripping insert is approximately $80. But it is true
that it can be used two times so the effect cost would be about half of
what either SS brake costs. See, I'm using facts here so the it is
easier to form a valid decision. Emotions do not care about facts of
what the real decision process should be considering.
And the assumption of the blade being destroyed is just that, an
assumption. I have seen many pictures and demonstrations of a brake
stopping a blade. Never have I seen a destroyed blade. I understand
that it is not unusual for a blade to be resharpened, re-flattened, or
repaired. IMHO the blade is more likely to need to be re-flattened
than anything else. The brake is aluminum. I would not care to say how
many times I have cut into my aluminum miter fence with not damage to
the blade. And direct power is immediately disconnected from the blade
as it droops down below the table surface so the brake does not have to
harness the energy of the motor too.
Now, would "I" have a blade repaired and reuse it? that has not
happened yet and I don't have enough information to make that decision
right now. If I were letting my emotions enter into that decision
process I might cut my nose off to spite my face to bolster my thoughts
on the whole subject.

Electric Comet September 24th 15 04:28 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:48:51 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

my thoughts on the whole subject.

the amount of time you spend defending your tool purchases/choices is
astonishing

you do know that no one really cares

but i think you should ask the respective manufacturers for some free
stuff

t-shirts, blades, spare parts, etc.

Leon[_7_] September 24th 15 05:20 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/24/2015 10:28 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:48:51 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

my thoughts on the whole subject.

the amount of time you spend defending your tool purchases/choices is
astonishing

Not really defending, that is unnecessary. I'm just pointing out facts.

you do know that no one really cares

Perhaps you do not but I get questioned about the Festool products quite
often. So perhaps you are jumping to conclusions with out facts.

but i think you should ask the respective manufacturers for some free
stuff

I'm not a mooch.

Electric Comet September 24th 15 05:26 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:20:16 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Not really defending, that is unnecessary. I'm just pointing out
facts.

you have that thing that is opposite of buyer remorse
forget what it is called

Perhaps you do not but I get questioned about the Festool products

i never get asked about festool products
i do not even know what festool means

quite often. So perhaps you are jumping to conclusions with out
facts.

a long slow jump of years reading internet discussions
maybe if i said that people barely care it would be easier to accept

I'm not a mooch.

get on their payroll then if you have not already
why go on and on for free when you can receive remunerations

Electric Comet September 24th 15 05:37 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:24:17 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

discussion is good but still no one really cares
that is just human nature

reading and discussing is one thing

caring is another because that involves taking things to heart

i like reading about your tools but i do not care beyond that

if i win a festool i will post here and people will read it for whatever reason
but they will not care and it will have zero impact on their life

_

Leon[_7_] September 24th 15 06:20 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/24/2015 11:37 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:24:17 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

discussion is good but still no one really cares
that is just human nature

reading and discussing is one thing

caring is another because that involves taking things to heart

i like reading about your tools but i do not care beyond that

if i win a festool i will post here and people will read it for whatever reason
but they will not care and it will have zero impact on their life

Oh, ok, that is sensible. FWIW there are some here that do buy products
based on my reviews.

krw[_6_] September 25th 15 12:59 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:48:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2015 8:52 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/23/2015 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 7:55 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Emotions? Perhaps but there are several companies I refuse to do
business with because the way they do business is counter to my
interests. Sony, for instance. I haven't bought anything with the
Sony name on it since the rootkit debacle. Any company who would even
consider such a thing gets crossed off my list.

That "Sawstop asshole" tried to get the government
to require every saw manufacturer to license his crap. That to me is an
underhanded way to make a buck, not surprising for a lawyer.

Welcome to the American way. At least he went about that in a legal way
and in a way that was perfectly with in his rights.

"Rights" and "right" are only close in spelling bees.

[...]

How many monopolies do I support? Dunno of any.

krw[_6_] September 25th 15 01:03 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:20:24 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2015 11:37 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:24:17 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

discussion is good but still no one really cares
that is just human nature

reading and discussing is one thing

caring is another because that involves taking things to heart

i like reading about your tools but i do not care beyond that

if i win a festool i will post here and people will read it for whatever reason
but they will not care and it will have zero impact on their life

Oh, ok, that is sensible. FWIW there are some here that do buy products
based on my reviews.

You'd better hope you never meet my wife! ;-)

Leon[_5_] September 25th 15 07:11 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

wrote:

On 9/24/2015 8:52 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/23/2015 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 7:55 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

That is ok IMHO, I will not do business in the foreseeable future with HP
because of the problems I had with all 3 of their printers an their
service. Yours and mine are valid reasons for making decisions. We were
both actually affected.

[...]

How about the government you send your hard earned dollars to? :-)

Leon[_5_] September 25th 15 07:20 AM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

Baxter wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

... You are basing a decision on a product, not by
the product, but by your feelings towards the inventor.

Actually a resonable factor in one's decision. Environment, source, impact
on others, etc are all important factors in any decision. Certainly
reasonable to boycott a product based on an unethical manufacturer.

That is an emotional decision and perfectly fine if that way of deciding
which is best for you, I try to use facts about the product with out
considering anything else. You are not buying the manufacturer, you should
not consider that if you want to make the best educated decision on closing
a product that best works for you.

Bill[_47_] September 25th 15 12:48 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

Leon wrote:
Baxter wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

... You are basing a decision on a product, not by
the product, but by your feelings towards the inventor.

Actually a resonable factor in one's decision. Environment, source, impact
on others, etc are all important factors in any decision. Certainly
reasonable to boycott a product based on an unethical manufacturer.

That is an emotional decision and perfectly fine if that way of deciding
which is best for you, I try to use facts about the product with out
considering anything else. You are not buying the manufacturer, you should
not consider that if you want to make the best educated decision on closing
a product that best works for you.

That reminds me of the "prisoners dilemma" (problem from game theory).

Leon[_7_] September 25th 15 01:35 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

wrote:

On 9/24/2015 11:37 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:24:17 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

discussion is good but still no one really cares
that is just human nature

reading and discussing is one thing

caring is another because that involves taking things to heart

i like reading about your tools but i do not care beyond that

if i win a festool i will post here and people will read it for whatever reason
but they will not care and it will have zero impact on their life

Oh, ok, that is sensible. FWIW there are some here that do buy products
based on my reviews.

You'd better hope you never meet my wife! ;-)

LOL! But if I met your wife, she might want me to build something for
her and then it would all even out. ;~)

Jack September 25th 15 04:09 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/24/2015 10:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/24/2015 8:52 AM, Jack wrote:

Everyone one has emotions.

Absolutely but if used to make decisions the result is a 50/50 chance
that it is not a good one.

In this case, you can call it emotions, I'll call it principles.
I'll call it emotions. You are basing a decision on a product, not by
the product, but by your feelings towards the inventor. And that's ok
if you feel better making decisions that way. But for some one that
might value your opinion on a product yours will not be based on fact if
you let your emotions stand in the way of an honest evaluation of the
product. It is important that I and others understand that.

Well, I partially agree with you, but my decision is not based solely on
emotions (principles) I also know, for a fact, that I have been using
table saws for going on 60 years with zero safety gadgets, and have not
once nicked a finger, cut of a hand, or killed myself. There are 40,000
motor vehicle deaths in the US every year, and most of them could be
prevented by simple crash cages, crash helmets and so on. I take my
changes dying with cars, I reckon after 60 years of sawing, I'm not
overly worried about loping off a pinkie.

That "Sawstop asshole" tried to get the government
to require every saw manufacturer to license his crap. That to me is an
underhanded way to make a buck, not surprising for a lawyer.

Welcome to the American way. At least he went about that in a legal way
and in a way that was perfectly with in his rights.

The American way is to make a better product, and they will come to your
door. He made the product, then tried to force everyone to use it via
government mandate.

My principles tell me not to support an asshole, and, after almost 60
years of safely using saws w/o his crap hanging on it I can probably
live without it. Others may be better off with it, that's fine by me.

Your emotions have lead you to believe that Gass is an asshole. Have
you met him? He might be a nice guy, not an ass hole.

Actually, someone eles, (Clark?) called him an asshole, I just went with
that.

He did not do any
thing wrong, that we know of, other than pursue promoting his product in
a way that you apparently do not agree with.

Yes, thus me agreeing with Clark that the guy is an asshole. Asshole is
just a simple way of saying what I really think about him, and I don't
really give a damn if he is the nicest, or the worst guy on the planet.

Ignorance is bliss. There
is no telling how many products you use that have come to reality that
affect you every day that yu don't know any thing about.

A principle is based on what you know, what I don't know, well, I don't
know.

Aside from that, if Bosch has a way to do the same thing w/o ruining
your blade, not to mention a $100 mechanism you need to buy from Goss,
then I would buy that tech in my next saw, which will not likely happen
until I'm well into my 100's.

Ok, again with the emotional exaggerations. I know the SS brake is
under $70. for the single blade brake and under $90 for the dado brake.

I always thought the brake was $70, I read your post somewhere that it
was $90, so I rounded it off to $100 (with taxes?) So shoot me.

IIRC the Bosch tripping insert is approximately $80. But it is true
that it can be used two times so the effect cost would be about half of
what either SS brake costs. See, I'm using facts here so the it is
easier to form a valid decision. Emotions do not care about facts of
what the real decision process should be considering.

If I needed the tech, I would buy the Bosch simply on the fact it works,
and is NOT Saw Stop. I might add that when the SS first came out, I
looked at one at a Saw store show room and it looked like a nice saw. I
wasn't in the market, so didn't buy one. I didn't really care all that
much about the safety crap, just not a big concern for me then or now.
I did like the overall fit and finish, much as I (emotionally) hate to
admit it.

And the assumption of the blade being destroyed is just that, an
assumption.

I read all over the place, including, I believe, from your very own
keyboard that triggering the device destroys the blade. Considering the
importance of a true running blade, I can readily see how this dramatic
event would render a blade useless, and either in need of expensive
repairs or replacement if not using the worlds most expensive saw blade.

I understand that it is not unusual for a blade to be resharpened, re-flattened, or
repaired.

By "understand" I assume your mean you are making an assumption?

If I were letting my emotions enter into that decision
process I might cut my nose off to spite my face to bolster my thoughts
on the whole subject.

If you were a man of principle, you would not do business with someone
that violates your principles, ie, an asshole. You don't mind his
business tactics, I do, simple as that.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack September 25th 15 04:16 PM

Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

On 9/25/2015 2:11 AM, Leon wrote:
krw wrote:

How many monopolies do I support? Dunno of any.

How about the government you send your hard earned dollars to? :-)

Government monopoly is called socialism. You can't choose not to
support it on principle. This is what SawStop tried to impose on the
world. It is not, as you say, the American way.

So now, my principles tell me to shoot the bird at Gass.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com