Posted to rec.woodworking

Default i gang agley

Still working on the various cabinets for our master bath. All is finished
save laying soapstone tiles on the vanity tops and making the doors and
drawer fronts. I'm using ribbon stripe khaya for those and recently ordered
250 board feet. Only about 40 percent is for the master bath, rest is for
my next project (sofa tables).

In preparation for the arrival of the mahogany, I rearranged my lumber
storage to free up a shelf for it. I don't know about you but most of the
rough lumber I buy is 8-11' long. NP, my storage area can handle that.
Well the lumber arrived last Monday; it is gorgeous but there is a
"whoops"...almost all of it is 14+' long. It is now stacked on the floor
of my shop.

Cutlist Plus to the rescue...I measured and entered each board - there are
only 19 - into the program and it showed me where I can cut cross cut to get
more convenient sizes. Now I just have to do it; not an easy task as I'll
have to move some machines to get sufficient room to set up some saw horses.
Guess I could use the RAS but it will probably be easier to set up horses
next ro the stack and cross cut mutriple boards with a circular saw.

I could use a bigger shop

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 11:17:27 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Only about 40 percent is for the master bath, rest is for
my next project (sofa tables).

I'd like to see some stages of the sofa table build, particularly the skirts-table top & skirt-leg attachments, if applicable. I'd like to try a sofa table, some day.

I have an old farm table, with simple skirts. Seems easy enough, but always like to see if there's a different (better?) method.

Took some pics, at a decorator's office, of an old oblong table (from Sweden, so said).... pretty neat table. Skirt-leg attachment, seems to me, are kind of iffy, but apparently they've held up this long, so they must be good construction. A few pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 11:17:27 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Only about 40 percent is for the master bath, rest is for
my next project (sofa tables).

I'd like to see some stages of the sofa table build, particularly the
skirts-table top & skirt-leg attachments, if applicable. I'd like
to try a sofa table, some day.

Do you use SketchUp?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 3:14:20 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Do you use SketchUp?

Not any more. Long ago, I downloaded SU (2003-2005?), use it a bit, but was not very proficient. I probably should upgrade the version I have and try again.

Most of my creations have been off the cuff, so not sure SU would be of that much benefit. Maybe if I used it, that *benefit idea would change.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2015 4:45 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 3:14:20 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Do you use SketchUp?

Not any more. Long ago, I downloaded SU (2003-2005?), use it a bit, but was not very proficient. I probably should upgrade the version I have and try again.

Most of my creations have been off the cuff, so not sure SU would be of that much benefit. Maybe if I used it, that *benefit idea would change.

Sonny

Absolutely reload the new version. I too loaded it about the time you
did and uninstalled it on two occasions. Finally there were enough
improvements to convince me to switch to Sketch up permanently about 8
years ago.

Down load some Sketchup drawings and play with it. I literally could
not, would refuse to operate with out it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Nice driveby.

All I get is sweetgum, chinaberry and such.

--
GW Ross

A mind is a terrible thing to cut and
paste.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

That reminded me of this post from long ago:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/re...zr8/discussion

If Google Groups doesn't show you the first post in the thread, scroll
up.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2015 11:17 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Are you using the CutList Plus 4.x Sketchup plug-in too?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2015 8:39 AM, Leon wrote:

Oops, CutList 4.x

Did you see the latest Cutlist Plus fx works with this:

http://www.shopwoodworking.com/cutli...da4e8-50041821

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOP8vXrF8GI

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2015 4:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/3/2015 8:39 AM, Leon wrote:

Oops, CutList 4.x

Did you see the latest Cutlist Plus fx works with this:

http://www.shopwoodworking.com/cutli...da4e8-50041821

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOP8vXrF8GI

I got an e-mail announcing this add on. Are you using it? I don't see
any advantage other than maybe matching grain. Other than that I think
the Cut List 4.x plug-in does pretty much the same thing. And I think
it is written by the same guy Joseph P Zeth, Swamproad Woodworks,.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 3:14:20 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Do you use SketchUp?

Not any more. Long ago, I downloaded SU (2003-2005?), use it a bit,
but was not very proficient. I probably should upgrade the version
I have and try again.

Most of my creations have been off the cuff, so not sure SU would be
of that much benefit. Maybe if I used it, that *benefit idea would
change.

Sonny

I asked about SU because the very best way to see details of the sofa tables
is via the model itself. To that end, this is a d/l link to it (about 15
MB)...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/sofa_tables.skp

However, you probably won't be able to open it with your older SU. Here is
a d/l link to a much older and rudimentary version...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio...able_model.skp

If you get the first one, use the "layers" tool (WindowLayers) to hide/show
various things.

In case you just want a few pix, this will do...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/sofa_tables.pdf

And since I was uploading stuff, I uploaded a PDF of all my remaining
projects...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/projects.pdf

Regarding SU, if anyone EVER designs or builds stuff, it is an incredibly
useful program. With it, one can design simple things like a table to
complex items such as a whole house. Or more.

For me, the biggest attraction is being able to see how things will actually
look, particularly in relation to other things. For example, I am currently
working (off and on) on a drawing of our house. One of these days down the
road I want to add some hard and landscape. By drawing the house - and
nearby trees - I can then add my ideas about the hard/landscape and see how
they will look.

There are also rendering programs (both free and paid) for SU; with them you
can turn a SU scene into an image that is nearly indistinguishable from a
photograph.

Like you, I had an old version for several years. Occasionally, I would
fire it up and draw a rectangle, maybe expand that to a cube. Big deal.
Finally, I watched the four short introductory videos available on the SU
site and things gelled for me.

Thanks to others in this group I learned that "components" were very useful.
In SU, if you draw something and then draw something else touching it, the
two are stuck together...not so if at least one is a component they can be
manipulated individually.

The other thing it took a while to figure out was how to draw something to a
pre-determined dimension. It can be difficult to do so by moving the
cursor. However, as you draw, the changing length/size is displayed at the
bottom right and all you need to do is enter the dimension you want. Don't
click on the dimension box, just type. If there are two dimensions to what
is being drawn, separate them with a comma.

My advice is to get the new SU, play with it and use it. You'll be glad you
did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I have it but don't really use it. I got it after I was pretty much
finished with my drawings and for it to be effective (for me) I would have
to go through SU and rename compoents in a manner more conducive to me
understanding what was what once run through the plug in.

I had already done takeoffs and made a Cutlist DB using rough lumber so I
would know how much I needed. Once I got the lumber, I entered the boards
into Cutlist as dimensioned lumber so I could get the cutting diagrams.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2015 7:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I did it your way for several years and yes you do have to name
components in the drawing but I made the switch about 4 years ago and
even did piece counts in the drawing to compare to the imported number
of pieces just to make sure nothing was being left out. Now I don't
give it a second thought and the process takes about a minute from
selecting the components, importing, and displaying the cut lists.

Just something to think about if you decide to use it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2015 7:34 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Sonny wrote:
[...]

Exactly!

For me, the biggest attraction is being able to see how things will actually
look, particularly in relation to other things. For example, I am currently
working (off and on) on a drawing of our house. One of these days down the
road I want to add some hard and landscape. By drawing the house - and
nearby trees - I can then add my ideas about the hard/landscape and see how
they will look.

I did just that, I have a model of the interior of our home and beore I
build a piece for our home I put it in the model to see how it looks. A
great design tool.