Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A confirmation of two revelations.

Building materials are increasing in price.

Wider and longer panels surely cost more.

A few weeks ago someone posted an observation that plywood was no longer
4'x 8'.

I think a lot of us may have confirmed otherwise and or thought he may
have confused the size of other sheet goods like MDF.

Anyway yesterday I bought 3 sheets of paint grade maple veneer plywood
for the top cabinets that I am building for my wife's quilting studio.

Supposedly these are domestic and they appear to be the common 5 thicker
inner plys and the two thin outer veneer plys.

All three measure 48-1/2" x 96-1/2".

No more going straight to a 16" OC stud wall if picture frame paneling a
room.

But in my case the larger dimensions are welcome, no more worrying about
a crappy factory edge.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/08/2015 3:28 PM, Leon wrote:

A few weeks ago someone posted an observation that plywood was no longer
4'x 8'.

Mayhaps they did, but they were wrong for construction ply -- I posted a
link to at least one manufactuer's site that refutes the
contention...altho iirc it wasn't actually that the size wasn't 4x8 but
that the spec was metric rather than English units.

I think a lot of us may have confirmed otherwise and or thought he may
have confused the size of other sheet goods like MDF.

Anyway yesterday I bought 3 sheets of paint grade maple veneer plywood
for the top cabinets that I am building for my wife's quilting studio.

Supposedly these are domestic and they appear to be the common 5 thicker
inner plys and the two thin outer veneer plys.

All three measure 48-1/2" x 96-1/2".

No more going straight to a 16" OC stud wall if picture frame paneling a
room.

Construction sheet goods and cabinet-grade have always had differing
measurement criteria; it's not at all unusual that the cabinet panel has
sufficient overage to rip to a finished 2-ft width, but it's also much
more a manufacturer-specific dimension rather than an industry standard
as for construction material.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Actually after 30+ years of cutting cabinet quality panels and literally
cutting hundreds, I have never ever seen a cabinet quality panel any

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have, and have purchased 48.5 and 96.5
I also purchase nominal width for construction purpose.
Not only for edge cuts, rips, but as dph say's for 2' width.
john

"Leon" wrote in message

On 8/8/2015 4:10 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/15 3:28 PM, Leon wrote:
Building materials are increasing in price.

Wider and longer panels surely cost more.

A few weeks ago someone posted an observation that plywood was no
longer 4'x 8'.

I think a lot of us may have confirmed otherwise and or thought he
may have confused the size of other sheet goods like MDF.

Anyway yesterday I bought 3 sheets of paint grade maple veneer
plywood for the top cabinets that I am building for my wife's
quilting studio.

Supposedly these are domestic and they appear to be the common 5
thicker inner plys and the two thin outer veneer plys.

All three measure 48-1/2" x 96-1/2".

No more going straight to a 16" OC stud wall if picture frame
paneling a room.

But in my case the larger dimensions are welcome, no more worrying
about a crappy factory edge.

Like you, I welcome to ability to correct crappy factory edges without
losing dimensions. At a place I used to get plywood which went out of
business (big surprise) some sheets would be longer or wider but only on
one side making them slightly trapezoidal. This means you could no
longer even count of the corners of plywood being square.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/08/2015 10:00 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/8/2015 4:10 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

That, I think, is what I just said...

It is manufacturer-specific, but there are and always has been much more
available in the cabinet panels than for just construction ply -- as
just one example, see the product availability list from Atlantic
Plywood www.atlanticplywood.com or Baird Brothers www.bairdbrothers.com

If you've always just shopped at a local distributor or particularly one
of the box stores, it's not surprising that simply 48x96 is all you've
seen, however; needs must first know it is available so can ask for it
specifically or just happen to find it as you apparently did this time...

I learned of it many years ago from an old grouchy master cabinet
maker/reproduction furniture builder in Lynchburg, VA, when was a very
young pup first delving into woodworking as a sideline/hobby and
wandered into his shop looking for some specialty hardware I'd been told
he used occasionally. He ended up running me out of his shop that day
as I inadvertently upset him by him thinking I was expecting "a deal"
but he did order the hinges and when I went to get them I managed to
repair the rift...I learned more from him in a few months of Saturday
mornings spent in his shop as an forced-myself-upon-him "apprentice"
than could begin to enumerate...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2015 11:16 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/8/15 3:28 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I have see that before, non square plywood. That stuff is crap. Its
like buying S2S plywood. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2015 4:10 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I buy from a trades specific supplier. they have their own mill so that
make their own S4S lumber and moldings. They stock an indoor inventory
of plywood that would probably fill half of an average sized Home Depot
store.
Literally tens of thousands of sheets. I have been buying from them
since about 1989. They do offer about 2~3 grades of any particular
species of plywood in domestic and import. Oddly I find that some of
the stuff is precisely 3/4" thick.

I learned of it many years ago from an old grouchy master cabinet
maker/reproduction furniture builder in Lynchburg, VA, when was a very
young pup first delving into woodworking as a sideline/hobby and
wandered into his shop looking for some specialty hardware I'd been told
he used occasionally. He ended up running me out of his shop that day
as I inadvertently upset him by him thinking I was expecting "a deal"
but he did order the hinges and when I went to get them I managed to
repair the rift...I learned more from him in a few months of Saturday
mornings spent in his shop as an forced-myself-upon-him "apprentice"
than could begin to enumerate...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

On 8/8/2015 4:10 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's the way you really learn things and it's something our
public education system has completely forgotten.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/09/2015 12:23 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/9/2015 12:02 PM, dpb wrote:

....[big snip for brevity oversize cabinet ply]...

[...]

Again, the thickness is also not surprising as again, cabinet ply is a
whole different animal than construction material and there's a market
for the specific product despite cost. On the purchasing location, the
fact is that you were still unaware of the oversize panels after all
that time so what I said before is still true..."if you don't know to
ask..." then you can continue to think that the nominal is all there is
irrespective of how long it's been or where you're shopping. Again,
this isn't intended at all as personal; simply that there has been a
different product available all along and that there are both and that
it is particularly wide variety of stuff in that market given that it
isn't as much a mass-market target to a standard overall sheet dimension
as in the construction ply business and where a few mils shaved off a
sheet adds up to a much more sizable materials saving on the production
side owing simply to volume produced in comparison.

At the time of which I was speaking of in Lynchburg (over 40 yr ago
now), there was a small mill up in the mountains along the New River
that had a hardwood veneer and ply mill operating as well as solid
lumber. Back then the furniture business was rife all over N Carolina
and particularly SW VA; the updated Lane facility in Alta Vista was
almost brand new and employed several thousand alone and was just down
the road 30 miles along with a bunch of other smaller manufacturers in
the general Piedmont area...

http://www.vahistorical.org/collections-and-resources/virginia-history-explorer/lane-cedar-chest

As the link outlines, their fate was no better than that of virtually
all US manufacturers what with corporate takeovers and "anything for a
buck" management.

But at the same time, there were a number of these (relatively) small
mills supplying the local and area manufacturers; most of which are also
now either gone or vastly changed from what they were back then.

While he didn't cut for Lane or the other furniture mills, there was a
one-man mill operation run by another old codger about as crusty as the
aforementioned shop owner (but even older; he had to be 75 if he was a
day when I first met him) whose prime target was timbers for the mines
and ties for the railroads so he was cutting almost exclusively black
locust and white oak. But, the cutters weren't always all _that_
exclusive in what they cut and if they had a good log in front of them,
they would cut it so over the years he had accumulated quite a lot of
cherry, walnut, old chestnut, etc., etc., as well. He would cut it and
just stack it in sheds and sell it as he got a round tuit, the suppy of
which was about as rare then as they are now.

I bought a lot of all the above at 10-cents a bf and if had had any
sense (or any money as a newly-graduated kid w/ family and a mortgage)
I'd have bought the lot on spec as an investment...I've often wondered
who ended up with the gold mine when he finally passed as afaik he had
no family.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 15:28:25 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Building materials are increasing in price.

Wider and longer panels surely cost more.

A few weeks ago someone posted an observation that plywood was no longer
4'x 8'.

I think a lot of us may have confirmed otherwise and or thought he may
have confused the size of other sheet goods like MDF.

Anyway yesterday I bought 3 sheets of paint grade maple veneer plywood
for the top cabinets that I am building for my wife's quilting studio.

Supposedly these are domestic and they appear to be the common 5 thicker
inner plys and the two thin outer veneer plys.

All three measure 48-1/2" x 96-1/2".

No more going straight to a 16" OC stud wall if picture frame paneling a
room.

But in my case the larger dimensions are welcome, no more worrying about
a crappy factory edge.

(Took me a while to remember to measure but...)

I just bought a couple of sheets of MDF and melamine. While they're
certainly not "cabinet grade", that's what I'm using them for, more or
less (shop "furniture"). They're all 49-1/16 x 97-1/16. It's kinda
nice to not have to worry about the edges being a little bunged up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

All three measure 48-1/2" x 96-1/2".

No more going straight to a 16" OC stud wall if picture frame paneling a room.

This is not intended for construction, but rather for cabinetwork. The extra dimension allows for the kerf(s) when you want to cut several pieces from one sheet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

All three measure 48-1/2" x 96-1/2".

No more going straight to a 16" OC stud wall if picture frame paneling a
room.

This is not intended for construction, but rather for cabinetwork. The
extra dimension allows for the kerf(s) when you want to cut several pieces
from one sheet.

....and allow you to get rid of dinged up edges and still have enough
material!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2015 7:55 PM, krw wrote:
[...]

It is nice. I have been buying the over sized wood by product panels
for years. It is scarey though when you tell the optimization program
to draw a cutting diagram and it shows 3, 15.75" wide panels just
fitting the drawing. and then you cut and end up with about 7/8" waste
left over when there should be 3/8".

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

On 8/8/2015 4:10 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

In this day and age one would more likely suspect the 4 x8 sheets to be
shorter and narrower. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2015 12:02 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

I guess had I actually wanted over sized panels I would have asked to see
if they were available. A few weeks a go I bought/ asked for the same type
product, paint grade. I received 48 x 96. This upgraded over sized panel
this time were larger. And FWIW this upgraded panel in the past has been
48 x 96.
Obviously plywood panels come oversized but I have never seen it and I have
bought a lot of cabinet quality in the past 35 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2015 12:02 PM, dpb wrote:

...[big snip for brevity oversize cabinet ply]...

....another big snip...

I guess had I actually wanted over sized panels I would have asked to see
if they were available. A few weeks a go I bought/ asked for the same type
product, paint grade. I received 48 x 96. This upgraded over sized panel
this time were larger. And FWIW this upgraded panel in the past has been
48 x 96.
Obviously plywood panels come oversized but I have never seen it and I have
bought a lot of cabinet quality in the past 35 years.

It's certainly true that the amount produced at "half-over" is small
compared to that for the nominal dimension so again I'm not surprised
hadn't run into it. As my geezer story relates, I discovered it "way
back when" by accident from the old codger in Lynchburg because he used
it quite a lot for custom work. Here all I was trying to do was to
emphasize that hardwood ply like hardwood lumber doesn't run by the same
rules grading/sizing systems as does construction lumber or ply.

As can be seen if go thru the available product listings at some of the
links I posted earlier, there are sheets available at a number of sizes
and that altho the vast majority are the "standard" 4x8 the 48.5x96.5 is
a reasonably common alternate, particularly in birch, maple and walnut
as well as luaun and the like. Besides, there's the (probably more well
known) 4x10 and (less so?) 5x10 and (particularly the Baltic birch and
similar) 5x5 which more than likely is actually metric in both thickness
and outer dimension being imported for the most part altho there is at
least some 5x5 US-produced I believe still.

For a distributor rather than a manufacturer, what you get may be the
luck of the draw as to what they happen to have or, perhaps, even, the
person who pulls stock (or perhaps directs you to let you select
specific sheets) is the new employee and doesn't know themselves that
that stack is the plus-half one! And certainly it's close enough
that one can't tell just by a glance if they let you just go choose so
that if you're not expecting and don't actually put a tape on it you'd
never know 'til you got home...

In the small market here, I suspect if I went and asked for it even the
guys behind the counter wouldn't have a clue(*) they could even order
it; and it's possible their supply chain is so limited thru their
connection as a Mead Lumber outlet they can't, I haven't tried to see.
With a large distributorship such as you have, it's not surprising to me
they have both available altho again I'd not be surprised if there were
a lack of knowledge by the less-experienced staff there, even, as far as
any given sale unless you do have a single point of contact.

(*) It's so bad here, several years ago I asked if they had any fir in
stock and the kid working behind the order counter didn't even know what
it is and the "senior" guy who's been there since we moved back was only
slightly more informed.