Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OK to use pine for cutting board?

On Saturday, October 4, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Davis Bennett wrote:
Hello folks,

I'm a novice when it comes to woodworking. I'd like to make a fairly
inexpensive cutting board & was wondering whether pine would be too
soft for this. I have an old board that was made out of plywood so I
thought that perhaps pine would do.

Any comments would be really helpful!

Thanks,
Davis

No, for a host of reasons. As many have said, its too soft on side and face grain. End grain is a sponge. The difference in the hardness of the grain and the soft wood between them will give you a very ribbed surface.

If you want a very good, but inexpensive cutting board, go to a local sawmill, get some white oak (NOT red oak) and make an end grain cutting board.

OK to use pine for cutting board? [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 5th 15 12:40 PM
Importers want to buy sawn timber pine, pine lumbers, pine panels Hardwood Lumber Woodworking 0 October 25th 10 03:36 PM
How to secure a pine flooring board Aaron Fude Home Repair 1 November 17th 09 09:01 PM
Scotland, Pine board widths gmz UK diy 3 December 19th 04 10:33 PM
cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM