Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Metal Detector for Woodworking

I use a fair amount of reclaimed lumber, so it is important to find all the
nails, screws, staples, etc. before I run the wood through my power tools.

I currently have a Lumber Wizard 3. It works but often seems finicky, so
I'm never real confident it has found the metal in the wood. For starters,
it has a large 12" wand, but it seems only the 3" or so at the tip really
does anything. I also have to adjust the fine sensitivity a lot, a hassle
that requires a small screwdriver. On several occasions the thing just sits
there blinking the lights back and forth and no amount of adjustment has
any effect. I almost threw it away last time I used it because I thought it
was finally broken.

Are there better metal detectors available that are more accurate and
easier to adjust when needed?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote in
:

[...]

The little one I have (I think it's a Little Wizard II) works pretty
decently, within reason. It doesn't always pinpoint the exact location
of a screw or nail, and only penetrates down a short distance. To make
sure I don't hit any nails, it takes a combination of the detector and my
eyes to check everything.

If I was working with a lot of reclaimed wood, I'd probably be buying
cheap saw blades and looking at Shelix cutters for the jointer and
planer. Hit a nail, rotate/replace the piece of carbide that chipped.
It's still a pain, just not a big one in the wallet.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2015 1:21 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I have one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zircon-Co...gclsrc=aw.d s

I haven't tried it for your application, but it's easy to use and claims
to find metal 4" inside a solid surface. I have been able to trace
conduit and BX inside a sheetrock wall as well as find sheetrock screws
under compound. You set the sensitivity simply by pressing the button
nearer or further from a metal object. IOW, if you press the button in
the middle of the air, it will set the unit to be very sensitive. But
once you think you've found an object, you can press it again an inch or
so away from it. That will set the unit to be less sensitive, and will
pinpoint the object more precisely.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

I currently have a Lumber Wizard 3. It works but often seems finicky, so
I'm never real confident it has found the metal in the wood. ..

Is that the same as the Wizard III?

I specifically bought a Wizard III for a project where the client wanted a table made from old, reclaimed lumber. I removed hundreds of pieces of metal with out a single mishap.

I've used occasionally since then, and it has always done the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I too have it. It is finicky and a piece of junk.

I have seen pro detectors used in airports.
Pricey, but probably worth the price.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

One could always use a metal detector. Some small models are likely
well capable for wood. See what you have to buy what you can.

White is a good name and there are others.

Martin

On 8/5/2015 3:47 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 05:21:05 +0000 (UTC)
HerHusband wrote:

I currently have a Lumber Wizard 3. It works but often seems finicky,
so I'm never real confident it has found the metal in the wood. For
starters, it has a large 12" wand, but it seems only the 3" or so at
the tip really does anything. I also have to adjust the fine
sensitivity a lot, a hassle that requires a small screwdriver. On
several occasions the thing just sits there blinking the lights back
and forth and no amount of adjustment has any effect. I almost threw
it away last time I used it because I thought it was finally broken.

i have something like this but it has a thumbwheel to calibrate it
i calibrate each time i use it

it is very sensitive and it does find the metal but only if i calibrate
and test it

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 12:22:44 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I have a Woodwizard III. As far as I know, it's found every brad, staple, and nail, even in thicker pieces. The on/off switch has gotten a little janky, but with a little messing around it seems to work ok. I've had it for quite a few years now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

Are there better metal detectors available that are more accurate and
easier to adjust when needed?

i think a better unit is needed and would be a welcome addition to the
market

maybe an ultrasound unit
that would also detect rocks

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

Are there better metal detectors available that are more accurate and
easier to adjust when needed?

i think a better unit is needed and would be a welcome addition to the
market

maybe an ultrasound unit
that would also detect rocks

There are absolutely better ones on the market now, you just cant afford
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 17:20:01 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

There are absolutely better ones on the market now, you just cant
afford them.

no kidding
i have not seen any that detect rocks
or ceramic insulators
but i will go look

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2015 6:20 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 17:20:01 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

There are absolutely better ones on the market now, you just cant
afford them.

no kidding
i have not seen any that detect rocks
or ceramic insulators
but i will go look

You might google x-ray.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 19:41:52 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

You might google x-ray.

haha
ultrasound would be much safer

i did view a video recently where a guy got a used luggage scanner
he does electronics videos and is from the u.k.

he got it working and you are right that would work for wood and would
take a nice sized log

takes up a lot of space though

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are there better metal detectors available that are more accurate and
easier to adjust when needed?

i think a better unit is needed and would be a welcome addition to the
market

There are absolutely better ones on the market now

Recommendations? I have only heard one recommendation so far.

I have the Lumber Wizard III. When it works, it's great. Unfortunately, it
can be finicky to start up and I have to tweak the fine tune adjustment
every time I turn it on. Sometimes it won't work at all and just sits there
blinking the lights. Is this really the best the market has to offer right
now?

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 15:42:56 +0000 (UTC)
HerHusband wrote:

I have the Lumber Wizard III. When it works, it's great.
Unfortunately, it can be finicky to start up and I have to tweak the

like others here mine works fine once you understand it is touchy
but maybe yours is broken

if you are a tinkerer why not take it apart and have a look
maybe something has come loose inside or the like

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:05:48 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

One could always use a metal detector. Some small models are likely
well capable for wood. See what you have to buy what you can.

not sure what they cost but they have evolved pretty far over the years
so might be a good choice

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 21:40:53 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Ground base Radar.

could be bulky and power hungry
and probably not even effective

metal detector woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 21 February 5th 14 06:38 AM
Metal Detector Bill Woodworking 13 November 18th 09 11:27 PM
Metal (vehicle) detector nick hull Metalworking 39 December 27th 08 01:56 PM
METAL DETECTOR J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 04:39 AM
METAL DETECTOR J T Woodworking 0 May 8th 05 10:55 PM