DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   table saw push stick or push block or ??? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/382272-table-saw-push-stick-push-block.html)

Puckdropper[_2_] August 3rd 15 03:46 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that controls
the stock in both directions and only takes one hand to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

How far back would the handle have to be? By the time it's back far enough
to push the wood completely through the saw, wouldn't it tend to be rather
cumbersome to handle?

If you make the handle tall, then the hand can safely pass over the
spinning parts to complete the cut. The cut isn't complete until the wood
has passed by the blade completely, at least on the fence side.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Electric Comet August 3rd 15 03:51 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 01 Aug 2015 21:28:18 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

If I need to hold the material against the fence at the same time I'm
pushing through the blade, I usually use the rounded end of one push
stick as a feather board and push with the other. I'm only using
enough pressure to keep the material from wandering, not pushing it
tight like you can with a feather board.

want to try it with sandpaper to allow applying some pressure toward
the fence too

Electric Comet August 3rd 15 03:59 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 20:37:28 -0400
krw wrote:

I have a couple fiberglass ones, one with a magnet in the handle. It's
stuck to the side of the table, right next to the remote control for
the dust collector (also stuck on with magnets). The other sits on
top of the fence. I like them where they're handy (and I know where
they are).

like the idea of storing with a magnet
i notice some newer saws have mounts for storing the miter sled

Electric Comet August 3rd 15 04:13 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 20:32:36 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

your email is almost a palindrome
if you had made it ogopogo

around the front and lift the notch. I think the hand needs
to be behind and above the notch so the line of force goes
thru the notch into the board.

this is what i was thinking when i made mine

Electric Comet August 3rd 15 04:21 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:31:18 -0500
-MIKE- wrote:

Push sticks are for idiots... and I say that un-apologetically.

do people apologize here for giving their opinions
i had not noticed

i use the push stick for small pieces

-MIKE- August 3rd 15 04:29 AM

On 8/2/15 9:33 PM, krw wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 22:05:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that controls the
stock in both directions and only takes one hand to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

Then you've got the same problem as the birds mouth push sticks.

Do you even know what a shoe/heel push block is and how it works?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- August 3rd 15 04:32 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/2/15 9:46 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that
controls the stock in both directions and only takes one hand
to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

How far back would the handle have to be? By the time it's back far
enough to push the wood completely through the saw, wouldn't it tend
to be rather cumbersome to handle?

If you make the handle tall, then the hand can safely pass over the
spinning parts to complete the cut. The cut isn't complete until the
wood has passed by the blade completely, at least on the fence side.

Puckdropper

Someone is just stuck in his ways.
Shoe blocks are overwhelmingly considered to be a much safer and more
effective means of passing stock through a table saw blade by the vast
majority of the woodworking community.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- August 3rd 15 04:35 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/2/15 10:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:31:18 -0500
-MIKE- wrote:

Push sticks are for idiots... and I say that un-apologetically.

do people apologize here for giving their opinions
i had not noticed

Rarely. :-)

They do, however, use punctuation most of the time.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Puckdropper[_2_] August 3rd 15 04:52 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

The closest I've ever been to a major accident on my table saw was
caused by that style of push stick. It was homemade, but the same
concept...

A safer push stick is super easy to build, or you can *gasp* buy one.
(I'd avoid the "high tech" or mousepad style pushers for table saw
use.)

Puckdropper

I decided to quantitize my assertation that a safer push stick is super
easy to build... It took me two pieces of wood, two screws, and about 6
minutes to build a quick and dirty push stick that's much better than the
birdsmouth style.

Check A.B.P.W. for some rough and awful woodworking.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Electric Comet August 3rd 15 05:07 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 16:42:56 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I would advise you to get a couple of feather boards ASAP, they can
really improve your cuts.

i am planning on making a couple of jigs or at least one for the bandsaw
so will have to research a little on form & function of feather boards

FWIW if you are ripping do not mount the feather board past the front
cutting edge of the blade. You do not want the feather board pushing
the waste side back into and pinching the blade. That ruins the
waste side edge and could be dangerous.

yes kind of obvious i think

If you are using a dado set and cutting a groove use feather boards
in front of the blade and behind the blade. Since you are not making
a through cut there will be no pinching. This also insures that
longer cuts do not drift away from the fence after passing over the
blade.

this does make sense
although i don't have a dado set yet

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 15 05:45 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 11:33:11 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/2/15 10:35 AM, krw wrote:

The birdsmouth is intended to push towards the blade, not down.

Exactly.
What's holding the stock down to the table when the blade it trying to
lift and throw it?

If I suspect that anything bad could happen, a featherboard. If the
stock is true, I don't bother.

Well let me warn you that some times what appears to be flat and
straight stock will can not appear that way after being cut. Be careful
with any stock.

Many things we cut on the table saw aren't heavy enough to stay against
the table surface when cutting.

Featherboards.

I've seen guys use two seperate bird's mouth push sticks to try to push
the stock through the blade AND hold it down at the front.

I will use two push sticks. One to push and one to hold down near the
blade. I have a strict rule when using the table saw; no fingers
beyond the blade until it stops spinning.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 3rd 15 12:38 PM

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that
controls the stock in both directions and only takes one hand to
use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

Then you've got the same problem as the birds mouth push sticks.

Well, not really. This style of push stick will still hold down pressure on
the wood ahead of it, so it will prevent lifting as the cut piece comes out
the back side of the blade.

--

-Mike-

Swingman August 3rd 15 02:05 PM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/2/2015 11:27 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes they do, BUT not so well if the magnets happen to fall directly over
the miter slot, it is surprising how many times that happens to me.

Yep, about 95% of the time with the larger, heavy duty ones.

Most of the time I end up using the smaller ones, backed up by the
larger ones if necessary.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Swingman August 3rd 15 03:03 PM

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Yep that's true...

As is the case with almost all jigs (tenon, spline, taper, et al) used
for various operations on the table saw that have been in use for a
hundred years or more.

However, and having long respected your expertise and not arguing with
your valid point, something else for the newer folks here to consider
when deciding which is the best solution for them.

Since it is impossible to eliminate all risk, the idea is to _minimize
risk_ with a design that:

~ Gets the hand a relatively safe distance away/above the blade.

~ At the same time uses the _minimum_ amount of force/effort to maintain
adequate downward pressure AND pushing force.

IME, the further the hand exerting force is moved back toward the
operator, and away from the workpiece being pushed, the more
force/effort required from that hand to provide _downward_ force on the
workpiece.

Using more force/effort than necessary on a workpiece being pushed in
the direction of the blade arguably increases the chance of being
injured during a kickback or bind.

Some folks, particularly those with very strong wrists, may not have a
problem with this.

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both planes
is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test of time for me
with regard to safe operation ... so far.

YMMV ...

Table saw is a dangerous tool, best way to never get hurt by one is to
not use one .... and not even a SawStop can protect you from all danger.

Have the scars of 13 stitches in a thumb from a table saw ... damned
thing wasn't even plugged in, and didn't have a blade installed.

ER still classified as a "table saw accident". :(

-MIKE- August 3rd 15 04:56 PM

On 8/3/15 9:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both planes
is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test of time for me
with regard to safe operation ... so far.

I probably missed it, but what design?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

krw[_6_] August 3rd 15 05:30 PM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that controls the
stock in both directions and only takes one hand to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

Then you've got the same problem as the birds mouth push sticks.

Do you even know what a shoe/heel push block is and how it works?

Yes. I know a little about physics, too. sheesh

krw[_6_] August 3rd 15 05:33 PM

wrote:

On 8/2/15 10:35 AM, krw wrote:

The birdsmouth is intended to push towards the blade, not down.

Exactly.
What's holding the stock down to the table when the blade it trying to
lift and throw it?

If I suspect that anything bad could happen, a featherboard. If the
stock is true, I don't bother.

Well let me warn you that some times what appears to be flat and
straight stock will can not appear that way after being cut. Be careful
with any stock.

Always. Which is why my fingers never go beyond the front of the
spinning blade.

krw[_6_] August 3rd 15 05:44 PM

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 09:03:47 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Yep that's true...

As is the case with almost all jigs (tenon, spline, taper, et al) used
for various operations on the table saw that have been in use for a
hundred years or more.

Perhaps most but a taper jig shouldn't be on that list. It's easy to
make them long enough such that the hand doesn't have to get anywhere
near the blade.

However, and having long respected your expertise and not arguing with
your valid point, something else for the newer folks here to consider
when deciding which is the best solution for them.

Since it is impossible to eliminate all risk, the idea is to _minimize
risk_ with a design that:

Certainly. Everything has some amount of risk associated with it
(even staying in one's bed). Life is about trading off risk and
benefit. Woodworking has a benefit, so I assume some risk.

~ Gets the hand a relatively safe distance away/above the blade.

~ At the same time uses the _minimum_ amount of force/effort to maintain
adequate downward pressure AND pushing force.

IME, the further the hand exerting force is moved back toward the
operator, and away from the workpiece being pushed, the more
force/effort required from that hand to provide _downward_ force on the
workpiece.

That's where featherboards come in handy (at least for ripping, where
the most danger of kickback is).

Using more force/effort than necessary on a workpiece being pushed in
the direction of the blade arguably increases the chance of being
injured during a kickback or bind.

OK. Again, if I'm worried about kickback (and that's often) I use
featherboards in both planes, and a splitter (or knife).

Some folks, particularly those with very strong wrists, may not have a
problem with this.

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both planes
is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test of time for me
with regard to safe operation ... so far.

YMMV ...

Table saw is a dangerous tool, best way to never get hurt by one is to
not use one .... and not even a SawStop can protect you from all danger.

Sure. But it's a fun tool. ;-)

Have the scars of 13 stitches in a thumb from a table saw ... damned
thing wasn't even plugged in, and didn't have a blade installed.

The only damage I've done to myself on the saw was when it wasn't
plugged in. I've come close when it was spinning down, though.

ER still classified as a "table saw accident". :(

Sure, and if someone crosses a double yellow and hits someone coming
home from happy hour, it's still an alcohol related accident, too. A
friends wife got hit by a bicycle (she stopped and the kid kept going
- looking behind him). It was classified as an automobile-pedestrian
collision and their insurance still paid. Who said that government
statistics have any meaning? ;-)

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 15 07:19 PM

On 8/3/2015 10:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/3/15 9:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both planes
is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test of time for me
with regard to safe operation ... so far.

I probably missed it, but what design?

Check further up, he has a link with a picture.

Leon[_7_] August 3rd 15 07:21 PM

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

[...]

I came close the second time mine was spinning down. I was successful
the first time.

Ed Pawlowski August 3rd 15 07:46 PM

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that controls the
stock in both directions and only takes one hand to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

Then you've got the same problem as the birds mouth push sticks.

Not really. The typical bird's mouth grips only about 3/4" or so. With
a block it can be as long as you want ti to be. Mine is about 8" and
the handle grip in back of that. You can exert a reasonable amount of
downward pressure and still stay behind the blade.

J. Clarke[_4_] August 3rd 15 09:31 PM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

[...]

One tool I have that scares me a bit is the 18v deWalt circular saw--my
other saw is a worm drive Skil that pretty much demands to be handled
with two hands, but the deWalt is so light that I often use it with one,
and one of these days I'm afraid my other one is going to be in the
wrong place. Still, it's so damned _convenient_.

krw[_6_] August 4th 15 01:37 AM

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

Again I ask, why not use a simple shoe type push guide that controls the
stock in both directions and only takes one hand to use?

Because the fingers have to go past the spinning parts.

Not if you put the handle back far enough.

Then you've got the same problem as the birds mouth push sticks.

Not really. The typical bird's mouth grips only about 3/4" or so. With
a block it can be as long as you want ti to be. Mine is about 8" and
the handle grip in back of that. You can exert a reasonable amount of
downward pressure and still stay behind the blade.

So you're saying the difference is only how big of a mouth the bird
has? The leverage is working against you anytime you're pushing the
stock. If the handle is up-front, I'd agree that it's less likely to
cause a kickback (because the leading edge lifts). Leverage is
working for you. But, as long as the handle is behind the stock, it's
not in your favor. I'll stick with featherboards and a couple of
birds.

krw[_6_] August 4th 15 01:42 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:31:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

[...]

Tell me that you don't use it with the work piece across your lap!

I use mine quite a lot (gave away of all the other tools except the
lights and the circular saw, though) but have never felt it to be
unsafe. I've used my Makita, one-handed, on a ladder, though. ;-)

-MIKE- August 4th 15 02:30 AM

On 8/3/15 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/3/2015 10:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/3/15 9:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both
planes is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test
of time for me with regard to safe operation ... so far.

I probably missed it, but what design?

Check further up, he has a link with a picture.

Found it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#56849189 28011997682

I don't care what you say, there's no way two bird's mouth push sticks
are better than ONE of these. Anyone who's used both won't go back to
push sticks.

Sideways pushing feather boards do very little to hold the stock down
against the table. Unless you're using a featherboard vertical
pressure, you still need to hold the work down. And then why would you
bother setting it up when a shoe accomplishes both, safely, with one
hand instead of two.

Some people are stuck in their ways and refuse to admit the advantages
of new* ideas.
(* the show type push block has to be at least 50 years old)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

J. Clarke[_4_] August 4th 15 02:49 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:31:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

[...]

Hey, I may be stupid but I'm not _crazy_.

I use mine quite a lot (gave away of all the other tools except the
lights and the circular saw, though) but have never felt it to be
unsafe. I've used my Makita, one-handed, on a ladder, though. ;-)

I've used a chainsaw on a ladder. Oh, you mean _standing_ on the ladder
.. . .

Ed Pawlowski August 4th 15 02:51 AM

On 8/2/2015 9:58 PM, krw wrote:

[...]

The handle is at about 45 degrees in back so you can put some downward
pressure. You can make it as high as you want and change the angle to
what makes you comfortable and safe. Simple physics. Get a 4 x 8 sheet
of plywood and you can make it as big or small as you want.

krw[_6_] August 4th 15 02:52 AM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 21:49:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:31:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/2/2015 8:58 PM, krw wrote:

[...]

. . .

Yeah. I used it to trim cedar siding, working off a ladder. Worked
great. The Makita saw didn't have enough torque to get me into
trouble. It cut cedar siding really well but not much more.

Bill[_47_] August 4th 15 02:56 AM

-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/3/15 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/3/2015 10:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/3/15 9:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both
planes is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test
of time for me with regard to safe operation ... so far.

I probably missed it, but what design?

Check further up, he has a link with a picture.

Found it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#56849189 28011997682

I don't care what you say, there's no way two bird's mouth push sticks
are better than ONE of these. Anyone who's used both won't go back to
push sticks.

Is it make from ordinary laminated plywood?

Swingman August 4th 15 01:40 PM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 8/3/2015 8:56 PM, Bill wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...9 28011997682

Is it make from ordinary laminated plywood?

Yep ...

Simply make your own pattern and cut them out on the bandsaw/jigsaw
about once every couple of years.

You can move the bottom "hook" further away from the handle, or orient
the handle to curve the other way, whichever is more comfortable for you.

Use scrap 3/4" ply for some, 1/2" for some, and 1/4" for a smaller
version when making edge banding.

Amazing how beat up they get, which would otherwise be a finger, or worse.

Electric Comet August 4th 15 05:23 PM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 12:16:50 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Im getting a malware security warning when trying to go to that site.

may not explain your alert but it does remind us that advertisers once
again prove that no one and nothing is beneath them

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29562...d-network.html

yes i am suggesting the alert you got was from an malicious advertiser

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 4th 15 07:22 PM

Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/3/15 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/3/2015 10:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/3/15 9:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

The ability to almost effortlessly maintain minimum force in both
planes is why I like the design I use, which has stood the test
of time for me with regard to safe operation ... so far.

I probably missed it, but what design?

Check further up, he has a link with a picture.

Found it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#56849189 28011997682

I don't care what you say, there's no way two bird's mouth push
sticks are better than ONE of these. Anyone who's used both won't

Is it make from ordinary laminated plywood?

....or pieces of dimensional lumber. Either one will work. It's not the
wood that matters - it's the idea of getting your hand up and behind the
workpiece, while allowing the push-stick to apply both downward pressure and
forward pressure. It's really pretty simple. You could use MDF if you
wanted to.

--

-Mike-

Kevin Miller[_2_] August 4th 15 09:50 PM

table saw push stick or push block or ???

On 08/01/2015 06:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Push sticks should be outlawed. I can't fathom why anyone would use one
since they offer NO resistance to the blade pushing the stock upwards.

What, you don't remember the infamous Dead Bunny Push Stick:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/92112754848710677/

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

-MIKE- August 4th 15 09:58 PM

On 8/4/15 3:50 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
On 08/01/2015 06:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Push sticks should be outlawed. I can't fathom why anyone would use one
since they offer NO resistance to the blade pushing the stock upwards.

What, you don't remember the infamous Dead Bunny Push Stick:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/92112754848710677/

Am I missing an inside joke here?
That is not a push stick, that is a shoe-style push block.
Those are much, much safer than push sticks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Kevin Miller[_2_] August 5th 15 01:09 AM

On 08/04/2015 12:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/15 3:50 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
On 08/01/2015 06:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Push sticks should be outlawed. I can't fathom why anyone would use one
since they offer NO resistance to the blade pushing the stock upwards.

What, you don't remember the infamous Dead Bunny Push Stick:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/92112754848710677/

Am I missing an inside joke here?
That is not a push stick, that is a shoe-style push block.
Those are much, much safer than push sticks.

Not an inside joke - just a historical reference to the wreck waaaay
back in the day. I guess I don't make the distinction between a push
stick and a push block in much the same way that most people call facial
tissue "Kleenix". Much to the Kleenix company lawyers chagrin and their
advertising departments joy...

....Kevin

-MIKE- August 5th 15 04:13 AM

On 8/4/15 7:09 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
[...]

Well... the distinction is kind of the point of this whole thread. :-D
One is a stick, one is a block.

It would be like Kleenex vs. a sponge.

--

-MIKE-