Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rob Hare

Rob Hare attended my woodworking club meeting this evening and showed,
through photos and explanation, how he made coopered and iron chairs as
shown at http://www.robhare-furnituremaker.co...rs/chairs.html

Step one... start with a $5K slab of rough cut claro walnut...
Flatten the surface with a hand planer.
Cut to rough shape.
Rip and resaw so that book matched arm stock is roughed out.
Cooper the arms and glue up with West System epoxy.
Smooth the outside curve.
Gauge the thickness and then thickness and smooth the inside curve.
The back goes through the same process.
Move on to the forged metal work and leather upholstery.
At the end of the process you have a very nice chair!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rob Hare attended my woodworking club meeting this evening and showed,
through photos and explanation, how he made coopered and iron chairs as
shown at http://www.robhare-furnituremaker.co...rs/chairs.html

Step one... start with a $5K slab of rough cut claro walnut...
Flatten the surface with a hand planer.
Cut to rough shape.
Rip and resaw so that book matched arm stock is roughed out.
Cooper the arms and glue up with West System epoxy.
Smooth the outside curve.
Gauge the thickness and then thickness and smooth the inside curve.
The back goes through the same process.
Move on to the forged metal work and leather upholstery.
At the end of the process you have a very nice chair!

John

Easy enough now that I have the instructions. I'll start tomorrow if I
happen to have a slab of walnut in the wood pile.

He has some nice pieces on his web page.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

Step one... start with a $5K slab of rough cut claro walnut...

OK, that lets me out, then.

Cooper the arms and glue up with West System epoxy.

Is he putting these things out on the patio? Or trying to fill
gaps in the joinery? I can't see any other reason to use epoxy
on something like that.

At the end of the process you have a very nice chair!

Well, tastes differ. To my mind they're pretty ugly...and
I'm guessing the people that buy them do so more to be able
to say "hey, I bought a $5k piece of wood" than because
they're works of art.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote in message
.. .

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

Cooper the arms and glue up with West System epoxy.

Is he putting these things out on the patio? Or trying to fill
gaps in the joinery? I can't see any other reason to use epoxy
on something like that.

There are no gaps in the joinery... the epoxy is to insure it stays
together. I have other associates who sell into the gallery, museum and
international collectors market and if there is a theme it's that they make
sure their stuff doesn't fail.

At the end of the process you have a very nice chair!

Well, tastes differ. To my mind they're pretty ugly...and
I'm guessing the people that buy them do so more to be able
to say "hey, I bought a $5k piece of wood" than because
they're works of art.

Rob informed us that the first sale of this style was for a pair of
chairs... he scales them to the purchaser.

The one he brought with him was the first one. I estimate it weighed in
excess of 200 lbs... and wouldn't be surprised if it were 300.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Rob informed us that the first sale of this style was for a pair of
chairs... he scales them to the purchaser.

The one he brought with him was the first one. I estimate it weighed
in excess of 200 lbs... and wouldn't be surprised if it were 300.

And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.

$500/lb may be close.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.

$500/lb may be close.

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

12-15K each....

Heck of a deal G.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.

$500/lb may be close.

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

12-15K each....

Heck of a deal G.

For Rob.g

Whatever... if someone wishes (and can afford) to pay for those chairs,
more power to them AND Rob. No one has placed a gun to anyone's head here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

On 5/23/2015 11:27 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Heck of a deal G.

For Rob.g

Whatever... if someone wishes (and can afford) to pay for those chairs,
more power to them AND Rob. No one has placed a gun to anyone's head here.

After seeing how they were built I was thinking he wasn't charging enough!
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Well, tastes differ. To my mind they're pretty ugly...and
I'm guessing the people that buy them do so more to be able
to say "hey, I bought a $5k piece of wood" than because
they're works of art.

I finally went and took a look at the products. I have to agree with John.
To my taste - any one of those is worth hundreds of dollars, certainly not
thousands. That said - if he can get it - more power to him. Not that I
could ever appreciate that kind of value in any of it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 May 2015 21:42:27 -0400
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Rob Hare attended my woodworking club meeting this evening and

talented guy
i like his metal works more than the metal/wood works

the chairs on the front page state they are comfortable but I do not
believe that