Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hats Off !!!

What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these
people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35
and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me
(72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come
on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or
leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same
geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today.
What has happened?

Hair loss.

Dave in SoTex

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2015 10:51 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

They did not go to Catholic school in the 50's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

I used to carry a comb in my back pocket, but no more. So when I take
my cap off my hair is all awry.

--
GW Ross

If it's comprehensible, it's obsolete.

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did
these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see
this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are
way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely
dressed. Baseball caps? Come on! I realize that I'm old fashioned
(still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters
a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not
have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has
happened? Ivan Vegvary

I used to carry a comb in my back pocket, but no more. So when I take
my cap off my hair is all awry.

Both of them?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2015 11:28 AM, Dave in SoTex wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did
these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this
on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way
older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed.
Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady
approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that
these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years
ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Hair loss.

Dave in SoTex

Removing the hat improves the lighting as it reflects better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 10:51:39 AM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

Yeah, and it's not just the hats. Some guys think it's OK to dress like this for dinner.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...psef0876bb.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 May 2015 12:02:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 10:51:39 AM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

Yeah, and it's not just the hats. Some guys think it's OK to dress like this for dinner.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...psef0876bb.jpg

Ah formal dinner at the nudist colony.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2015 9:51 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

Well Ivan If you are going to bitch or complain about something you
should at least practice what you preach. Have the courtesy to label
your post as OFF TOPIC so that those that don't want to read you
comments will have a warning.

To answer your question, where have you been. This started coming on as
an acceptable way to dress since "Casual Friday" And a suite in the
work place, not really.

And I applaud you for to practicing the habits that you have learned.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2015 1:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 10:51:39 AM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

Yeah, and it's not just the hats. Some guys think it's OK to dress like this for dinner.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...psef0876bb.jpg

I didn't need to see that. I DID NOT need to see that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 9:51:39 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

The truth is, we are living in a culture that has lost its roots. This applies across the board, we no longer know what is "right" or "wrong," everything is relative. Sex is no longer about love but about getting your "rocks off," hence folks "hooking up" rather than marrying. Women, largely because of feminism, are no longer seen as being special and those for whom one acts well. The list goes on, but the bottom lines, we have lost a lot and are probably going to lose even more before too long.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

The truth is, we are living in a culture that has lost its roots. This applies across the board, we no longer know what is "right" or "wrong," everything is relative.

Everyone seems to want to use the media to advance an agenda. Those without a firm grip on something would seem be at risk of being swept out to sea. The dollar is king. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that senses change. Families are better connected and more separated than ever!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 7:25:44 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Dr. Deb wrote:

The truth is, we are living in a culture that has lost its roots.
This applies across the board, we no longer know what is "right"
or "wrong," everything is relative.

Everyone seems to want to use the media to advance an agenda. Those
without a firm grip on something would seem be at risk of being
swept out to sea. The dollar is king. It's nice to know I'm not the
only one that senses change. Families are better connected and more
separated than ever!

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

I don't know if you mean that as good thing or a bad thing.

I have 4 adult children. We are separated by a minimum of 161 miles and as much as 2500 miles. I speak and/or text with at least one of them almost every day, but without a doubt at least a couple of times a week. Many times the communication is in the form of a group text where the entire family is involved in the conversation. Sometimes it's about important stuff, sometimes it's about an individual accomplishment, sometimes it's just about something funny one of us saw.

Sometimes I'll get nothing more than a simple "Hi!" and sometimes that's all I need.

In contrast, when I moved out of my parent's house 40+ years ago, the only time we communicated was when one of us found time to go over to that thing that was wired to the wall and dialed, hoping that the person at the other end was near that thing they had wired to their wall. Unless time was specifically scheduled for a chat, it could be weeks between "connections".

My 2 boys (the oldest of the 4) moved out just as texting was becoming more and more prevalent. Once Mom and I caught up with the technology, our family became separated only in the physical sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 7:25:44 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"
I don't know if you mean that as good thing or a bad thing.

I'm not blaming the technology for anything. Sometimes I tell my wife,
she's "not there", even though she is sitting right next to me. I think
it's worse with teenagers..lol
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 1:39:31 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 7:25:44 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"
I don't know if you mean that as good thing or a bad thing.

I'm not blaming the technology for anything. Sometimes I tell my wife,
she's "not there", even though she is sitting right next to me. I think
it's worse with teenagers..lol

I'm still not sure what you meant by this:

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2015 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm still not sure what you meant by this:

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

Less actual face-to-face interaction??

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 5:45:14 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 5/22/2015 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm still not sure what you meant by this:

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

Less actual face-to-face interaction??

Maybe, but as I said in my earlier post, my kids are at least as "separated" from SWMBO and I as I was from my parents - actually more - but my kids and I are so much closer from a communication standpoint.

I took his statement to mean that families are better connected from a technology standpoint but more emotionally/socially separate than past generations. I agree with the former, but as for the latter, I find the exact opposite to be true...and not just for my family.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary was heard to mutter:

What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

It's the baseball caps, especially the ones worn at odd angles.

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement? Gotta say that is NOT
attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

Manners? I think those have sadly followed the dodo bird.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 5:45:14 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 5/22/2015 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm still not sure what you meant by this:

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"

Less actual face-to-face interaction??

Maybe, but as I said in my earlier post, my kids are at least as "separated" from SWMBO and I as I was from my parents - actually more - but my kids and I are so much closer from a communication standpoint.

I took his statement to mean that families are better connected from a technology standpoint but more emotionally/socially separate than past generations. I agree with the former, but as for the latter, I find the exact opposite to be true...and not just for my family.

technology can be used or misused.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 7:45:34 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 5:45:14 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 5/22/2015 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm still not sure what you meant by this:

"Families are better connected and more separated than ever!"
Less actual face-to-face interaction??

Maybe, but as I said in my earlier post, my kids are at least as "separated" from SWMBO and I as I was from my parents - actually more - but my kids and I are so much closer from a communication standpoint.

I took his statement to mean that families are better connected from a technology standpoint but more emotionally/socially separate than past generations. I agree with the former, but as for the latter, I find the exact opposite to be true...and not just for my family.

technology can be used or misused.

I read Deb's thoughts and chose not to respond, but since you brought it up, I'll add my 2¢. I originally chose not to respond because of the vast amount of time it would take to express all of my thoughts on those extremely general statements. I'm on my way out so I'll try to make this quick. Obviously this could turn into a very long thread and I really don't want to spend time discussing this in the wRec. For the most part, I find Deb's statements to be so general as to have no weight.

"Sex is no longer about love but about getting your "rocks off," hence folks "hooking up" rather than marrying."

If we were to go back to the earliest forms of recorded history we would find evidence of debauchery and infidelity across just about every culture and time period. There were willing parties of every size, shape and gender engaging in sex outside of a loving relationship. If Deb thinks that people weren't "hooking up" since the dawn of (wo)mankind, perhaps some research is in order.

"Women, largely because of feminism, are no longer seen as being special and those for whom one acts well."

The definition of "feminism" reads as follows:

"the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."

Let's replace the word "feminism" in Deb's statement with the definition and see how it reads:

Women, largely because of the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men, are no longer seen as being special and those for whom one acts well.

Is Deb saying that advocating for equal rights for woman was a bad thing? Should we go back to the time when woman were "seen as being special" but were also held back in their careers because of the glass ceiling and actually prohibited for getting jobs that they were capable of doing? That's the kind of "special" treatment that women are still fighting against.

Bottom line: "One" shouldn't act well for *women*, one should act well for *all* people. It's called respect and should not be gender specific. I hold the door for women, but I also hold the door for men. I am polite to women, but I am also polite to men. How a person treats other people says more about them than about any "movement".

As I said, aside from the fact that the wRec is not the proper place for this discussion, it would take more than a post is any forum to fully express my thoughts on both of these issues. I'm sure that there will be responses to this post, but I really don't know how deep I plan to go. If I don't continue this discussion please don't take that as agreement or disagreement with anyone's points.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 May 2015 10:44:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"Sex is no longer about love but about getting your "rocks off," hence folks "hooking up" rather than marrying."

If we were to go back to the earliest forms of recorded history we would find evidence of debauchery and infidelity across just about every culture and time period. There were willing parties of every size, shape and gender engaging in sex outside of a loving relationship. If Deb thinks that people weren't "hooking up" since the dawn of (wo)mankind, perhaps some research is in order.

The difference now, it is more public and accepted. Pregnant girls no
longer have to go off and live with an aunt until the baby is born to
hide the fact. I remember as a married man going to the pharmacy to
buy condoms behind the counter. Now they are on display at WalMart so
you can choose the color and flavor you want.

Nudity and semi-nudity is easily shown in movies and main stream
magazines today, now like it as in the past. Sex is alive and well,
same as it has been since Adam & Eve. Just more open, be that good or
bad.

[...]

Agree about the respect no matter the gender. Some women, perhaps a
small minority, are now insulted if you hold a door for them. I think
it is the more radical feminists though, that actually complain about
being treated a little special. I'm equal, therefore I don't need you
to assist me.

My wife still likes being treated as a special woman though. A few
women take it as only a gesture you do because you want to get in
their pants. Yes, that can be the case, but not always.

As I said, aside from the fact that the wRec is not the proper place for this discussion, it would take more than a post is any forum to fully express my thoughts on both of these issues. I'm sure that there will be responses to this post, but I really don't know how deep I plan to go. If I don't continue this discussion please don't take that as agreement or disagreement with anyone's points.

Point taken.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2015 11:10 PM, Casper wrote:
Ivan Vegvary was heard to mutter:

What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) and come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on!
I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same geezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. What has happened?

Ivan Vegvary

It's the baseball caps, especially the ones worn at odd angles.

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement?

Around 1995

Gotta say that is NOT
attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

Explain that to those that like it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement? Gotta say that is NOT
attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

The loose pants thing was something carried over from prison. They did not
allow belts as a security measure. And since a lot of young guys went to
prison, it became a "fashion" thing among young folks.

Which is totally strange. Of all the things to emulate, prison garb?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/2015 8:21 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Casper" wrote

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement? Gotta say that is NOT
attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

The loose pants thing was something carried over from prison. They did
not allow belts as a security measure. And since a lot of young guys
went to prison, it became a "fashion" thing among young folks.

Which is totally strange. Of all the things to emulate, prison garb?

It is for you and I, but not so much in the tough neighborhoods. A large
percentage of the population has been in prison. For some, it is seen
as a cool "rite of passage" because you did some serious fun stuff.
Whole different mentality.

I read once that 25% of the population spends some time in jail in their
lives. On my street it may be 0% so that means on some other street it
is probably 90%.

The US also has the highest incarceration rate at 757 per 100,000.
Canada 117
Russia 577
Posted to rec.woodworking

The loose pants thing was something carried over from prison. They did not
allow belts as a security measure. And since a lot of young guys went to
prison, it became a "fashion" thing among young folks.

Which is totally strange. Of all the things to emulate, prison garb?

Doesn't surprise me anymore where fads come from, only that so many
people fall into them. That gets into the discussion over what is and
is not considered a fad. Wearing a ballcap at an angle is a fashion
fad, at least to me. IMO it defeats the purpose of the hat/brim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement?

Around 1995

Has it been that long?

Gotta say that is NOT attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

Explain that to those that like it.

If I could do that, I'd be so persuasive I could do anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/2015 8:21 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Casper" wrote

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement? Gotta say that is NOT
attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

The loose pants thing was something carried over from prison. They did
not allow belts as a security measure. And since a lot of young guys
went to prison, it became a "fashion" thing among young folks.

Which is totally strange. Of all the things to emulate, prison garb?

I always found that to be a weird style. It's hard to run or move
quickly when your pants' crotch is at your knees - and this style was
most popular in neighborhoods where you really should be ready to run...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote in :

I always found that to be a weird style. It's hard to run or move
quickly when your pants' crotch is at your knees - and this style was
most popular in neighborhoods where you really should be ready to run...

Sometimes that kind of thing makes it "cooler" or makes them feel tougher.
"Look at me, I'm so tough I intentionally make it harder to run."

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Casper" wrote

What gets me are the pants hanging down exposing the underwear.
When did that become a fashion statement? Gotta say that is NOT
attractive, especially if the underwear is dirty.

The loose pants thing was something carried over from prison. They did
not allow belts as a security measure. And since a lot of young guys
went to prison, it became a "fashion" thing among young folks.

Which is totally strange. Of all the things to emulate, prison garb?

Didn't you want to project an image of being "tough" when you were an
adolescent?
I agree, prison garb seems strange, unless the people you look up to are
incarcerated...