DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Watch out Festool and ShopSmith (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/378855-watch-out-festool-shopsmith.html)

Leon[_7_] May 9th 15 11:22 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Bill[_47_] May 10th 15 12:30 AM

Leon wrote:
This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

I can foresee demand by craftspeeps living in a small apartment.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 10th 15 12:34 AM

"Leon" wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Would make a great tool depot for a live aboard boat as used by a
cruising sailor.

Lew

Gordon Shumway May 10th 15 01:08 AM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On Sat, 09 May 2015 17:22:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Would you be that interested in it if it wasn't green? ;-)

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 10th 15 01:43 AM

Leon wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Oh - you only like it because it has green on it...

--

-Mike-

woodchucker[_3_] May 10th 15 03:32 AM

On 5/9/2015 6:22 PM, Leon wrote:
This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

That's pretty cool. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's really
interesting.

--
Jeff

DerbyDad03 May 10th 15 04:31 AM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

My concern is that most all-in-one tools tend to have one thing in common:

It's great that they can do all things, but they rarely do any one of those things great.

Ed Pawlowski May 10th 15 05:02 AM

wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Actually, could be handy for a lot of people at $370. In my last house
I had no room for serious tools and that would have been perfect for a
few small jobs.

Noons May 10th 15 06:05 AM

On 10/05/2015 8:22 AM, Leon wrote:
This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Like!
(Y) (Y)

Leon[_5_] May 10th 15 07:07 AM

wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

Actually, could be handy for a lot of people at $370. In my last house
I had no room for serious tools and that would have been perfect for a
few small jobs.

That was my thinking. A butt saver at times.

Just Another Joe May 10th 15 11:52 AM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

In article , Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

No longer in production...

Their website hasn't been updated since 2009, and a lot of "page not
found" messages when you poke around.

There is one listed on eBay, but it's about twice the price listed on
website.

Joe

DerbyDad03 May 10th 15 12:26 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 6:52:33 AM UTC-4, Just Another Joe wrote:
In article , Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

No longer in production...

Their website hasn't been updated since 2009, and a lot of "page not
found" messages when you poke around.

There is one listed on eBay, but it's about twice the price listed on
website.

Joe

I'm not saying I was right (yes I am) but that is often the fate of tools that try to be all things to all people. Using one battery for a multitude of tools is one thing, trying to be a battery operated Shopsmith is very different.

BTW...What's the deal with the "flashlight on the pole" set-up? That seems like a lot of work just to get a flashlight to point where you want to. A direct replacement for this, it's not. ;-)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...643b01_400.jpg

Ed Pawlowski May 10th 15 12:53 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On Sun, 10 May 2015 04:26:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

BTW...What's the deal with the "flashlight on the pole" set-up? That seems like a lot of work just to get a flashlight to point where you want to. A direct replacement for this, it's not. ;-)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...643b01_400.jpg

Not, it is better in the right circumstances. Chances are you'd not
have the kit in the trunk, but did you ever change a tire in the dark
on a country road with no one to hold a flashlight? Where would you
plug in your lights?

How about a camping trip? On a boat?

Unquestionably Confused May 10th 15 01:00 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On 5/10/2015 6:26 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

I'm not saying I was right (yes I am) but that is often the fate of tools that try to be all things to all people. Using one battery for a multitude of tools is one thing, trying to be a battery operated Shopsmith is very different.

BTW...What's the deal with the "flashlight on the pole" set-up? That seems like a lot of work just to get a flashlight to point where you want to. A direct replacement for this, it's not. ;-)

That's the problem with so multi-purpose "whatevers"... They are so
impressed with their ability to be all things to all men they get just
plain silly.

Just imagine selling SWMBO on the Power8 for your home: "Look dear, if
I just put this 1½" spade bit in the drill, mount it in its drill press
configuration, you can take a short cup or glass and use it as a
stationary mixer!"

or

"If I just heat up the end of this sabre saw blade, bend it over at 90
degrees and use it in the sabre saw, look what a great muddler it
becomes for those Old Fashioneds that you love to drink. Really mashes
the fruit well, doesn't it?"

Still, as others have pointed out, the "shop in a box" concept will be
just the thing for some. Say, the apartment/condo dweller who's not
totally clueless and wants to do some minor jobs.

DerbyDad03 May 10th 15 06:20 PM

wrote:

BTW...What's the deal with the "flashlight on the pole" set-up? That seems like a lot of work just to get a flashlight to point where you want to. A direct replacement for this, it's not. ;-)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...643b01_400.jpg

Not, it is better in the right circumstances. Chances are you'd not
have the kit in the trunk, but did you ever change a tire in the dark
on a country road with no one to hold a flashlight? Where would you
plug in your lights?

How about a camping trip? On a boat?

Perhaps you missed my point. Each of the attachments can be mounted on the "base" so it can imitate a stationary tool: A drill press, a scroll saw, a table saw and yes, a work light on a pole.

At 0:48 he attaches the flashlight to the battery, stands it up on the workbench and alters the angle to show it's versatility.

At 4:48 he attaches the flashlight to the pole on the kit and alters the angle to show it's versatility. (Sound familiar?)

Even if I *did* have the kit with me when I got a flat tire or was camping or was on my boat, why would I attach the flashlight head to the pole on the kit? Why wouldn't I just use the flashlight head and battery pack? It would certainly be much more convenient to carry the smaller combination to the trunk to find the tools or to find the bathroom while camping than to carry the whole kit.

At 2:40 of this video, the lady uses the "portable light table" to illuminate her plumbing job. Why would she use the table when she could simply stand the flashlight up and accomplish the same task and with much more portability?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPvUn1bswxU

I suppose that maybe, just maybe, if I had the kit already set up for some other purpose and suddenly needed a pole mounted work light for some down lighting on the table itself, I might attach the flashlight head to the pole.. Other than that, I just don't see a situation where that particular feature is useful.

Ed Pawlowski May 10th 15 10:10 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On Sun, 10 May 2015 10:20:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Not, it is better in the right circumstances. Chances are you'd not
have the kit in the trunk, but did you ever change a tire in the dark
on a country road with no one to hold a flashlight? Where would you
plug in your lights?

How about a camping trip? On a boat?

Perhaps you missed my point. Each of the attachments can be mounted on the "base" so it can imitate a stationary tool: A drill press, a scroll saw, a table saw and yes, a work light on a pole.

At 0:48 he attaches the flashlight to the battery, stands it up on the workbench and alters the angle to show it's versatility.

No, you missed my point. If you are changing a tire on a dark road,
you sometimes need two hands. Unless you stick the flashlight in your
mouth or up your ass, there is no way to hold it and aim it exactly
where needed. A regular flashlight has to be propped up on a rock or
some sort of makeshift holder. This is the holder.

As you point out at 0:48, --- versatility

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 10th 15 11:04 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

"Just Another Joe" wrote:

No longer in production...

---------------------------------------
Try:

https://cel-usa.com/

Looks like $499.00 gets it done with LI battery.

Lew

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 10th 15 11:10 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

"Just Another Joe" wrote:

No longer in production...

---------------------------------------

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Try:

https://cel-usa.com/

Looks like $499.00 gets it done with LI battery.

-------------------------------------
Make that $499.99.

Lew

Mike Marlow[_2_] May 10th 15 11:16 PM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, you missed my point. If you are changing a tire on a dark road,
you sometimes need two hands. Unless you stick the flashlight in your
mouth or up your ass, there is no way to hold it and aim it exactly
where needed. A regular flashlight has to be propped up on a rock or
some sort of makeshift holder. This is the holder.

As you point out at 0:48, --- versatility

True - but that is a bit of overkill simply to light up a work area like
that. Lots of other ways can accomplish the same thing that do not pretend
to justify a product like this. Not buying the argument to support this
one.

--

-Mike-

Swingman May 10th 15 11:40 PM

On 5/10/2015 5:10 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Try:

https://cel-usa.com/

Looks like $499.00 gets it done with LI battery.

-------------------------------------
Make that $499.99.

Actually, there have been times when I would have paid, and/or saved
that much in time and travel, to have had the capability to do just one
of the tasks this cheesy Swiss Army tool would do, despite the
precision, or robustness, or lack thereof of the product.

Would be nice to be gifted one, just to have in the back of the truck,
in that awful event...

:)

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

tdacon May 10th 15 11:42 PM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

"Just Another Joe" wrote:

No longer in production...

---------------------------------------
Try:

https://cel-usa.com/

And here's the higher-end CelPro line.

http://cel-uk.com/celwork/celpro.html

Tom

jloomis[_2_] May 11th 15 12:17 AM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

Good point....
It is a great idea, and maybe good for some hobby person?
john

Ed Pawlowski May 11th 15 12:46 AM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On Sun, 10 May 2015 18:16:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, you missed my point. If you are changing a tire on a dark road,
you sometimes need two hands. Unless you stick the flashlight in your
mouth or up your ass, there is no way to hold it and aim it exactly
where needed. A regular flashlight has to be propped up on a rock or
some sort of makeshift holder. This is the holder.

As you point out at 0:48, --- versatility

True - but that is a bit of overkill simply to light up a work area like
that. Lots of other ways can accomplish the same thing that do not pretend
to justify a product like this. Not buying the argument to support this
one.

Sure, there are many ways. I have a few LED lanterns, for instance,
great when the power goes out. It all depends on what you have where
you are when needed. It is just one of many possibilities.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 11th 15 01:12 AM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Try:

https://cel-usa.com/

Looks like $499.00 gets it done with LI battery.

-------------------------------------
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Make that $499.99.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

3rd time is charm, $499.95 will do it.
"Swingman" wrote:

Actually, there have been times when I would have paid, and/or saved
that much in time and travel, to have had the capability to do just
one of the tasks this cheesy Swiss Army tool would do, despite the
precision, or robustness, or lack thereof of the product.

Would be nice to be gifted one, just to have in the back of the
truck, in that awful event...

Same with a cruising sailor who has to account for every cubic inch of
interior space.

Covers a lot of ground, especially when there are no hardware stores
at sea.

Looks they have a 24 VDC product line which offers a cordless
device to complete with the Fein multi device.

Great for people who want to lay a new floor.

Lew

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 11th 15 01:17 AM

"jloomis" wrote:

Good point....
It is a great idea, and maybe good for some hobby person?
john

As long as you are willing to accept the same kind of PITA
limitations you face with a ShopSmith, it can be a good deal.

Lew

DerbyDad03 May 11th 15 02:05 AM

wrote:

[...]

At 0:48 the flashlight is used with the battery base which stands up on it's own and then allows the head to be angled at various positions. Tell me why anyone would choose to set up the kit's base and pole instead of just using the battery base flashlight while changing the tire?

Are you saying that you couldn't find a way to position the battery base flashlight to aim the light where you need it? I have more faith in you than that. If you can position one of the lanterns you mentioned in another post, I'm sure that you don't need the kit base and pole to aim the flashlight at that flat.

BTW...if you put the flashlight up your ass I believe it would be pointed in the wrong direction.

[email protected] May 11th 15 11:50 AM

Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

I don't think that was meant to be a hard use industrial grade tool. But you know, with the right warranty on that setup I could sure see it as being handy. Go do the punch out list on your latest job? Everything in the bag.

And even better, speaking as a guy that has had his work truck broken into 8 times, I like the idea of being able to put that many tools in the trunk of a car or in the half cab of the truck with a blanket over the box to hide the tools.

I thought it was clever to have it all in one including your driver bits and drill bits. Like the idea of being in a house under the cabinets and having a light I could keep off the counters or on the floor that I could direct to a work/repair area.

I have found that I don't seem to use my tools nearly as hard as the weekend or "serious woodworker" guys do so that set looked pretty handy. I could see using the table saw option to cut long shims, rip trim, and make fillers. I could see the drill press used to set a Euro hinge or two (not production) on a replacement door. I while I had the case open to get out the drill, it would be pretty neat to get out the light and mount it next to a door lock that had hard to fit parts. I thought the jig saw would be great to set a a new or replacement cabinet in a bathroom that had to have pipes marked and cut out of the back of a cabinet. For a medium duty work day, that set should fill the bill for someone, especially a professional that knew how far he could push tools like that.

Mostly, I like it because you have all that stuff in one place and can simply take it in the house or garage when you return from a job, or if traveling and working, take all your major tools into your hotel room in one medium sized tote.

Not sure I would obsess about the flashlight... didn't understand that.

Robert

Meanie[_4_] May 11th 15 12:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

LOL...I love those ads/infomercials that exaggerate the problems to
which their product will solve.

Sonny May 11th 15 02:02 PM

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 5:50:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I don't think that was meant to be a hard use industrial grade tool. But you know, with the right warranty on that setup I could sure see it as being handy.

Agreed. It would seem to have a place, in some/many small tasks.

I could see using the table saw option to cut long shims, rip trim, and make fillers.

For someone without too much experience, I wonder if the saw base (storage box) is not heavy enough to keep the whole from moving, while sawing. You wouldn't want the unit to move while cutting. I suppose, I'd be strictly for small/short boards. I've never used a benchtop saw, so I'm not absolutely sure about that kind of stability, but I'd want the base stabilized, rather than just resting on the work table, which seems to be the case in the video.

Sonny

Leon[_7_] May 11th 15 02:23 PM

On 5/9/2015 10:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My concern is that most all-in-one tools tend to have one thing in common:

It's great that they can do all things, but they rarely do any one of those things great.

I think that would go with out saying. BUT if you are a person that is
responsible for minor items that need to be fixed, this may be just the
ticket to turn to, when in a bind.

Leon[_7_] May 11th 15 02:26 PM

On 5/10/2015 7:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"jloomis" wrote:

Good point....
It is a great idea, and maybe good for some hobby person?
john

As long as you are willing to accept the same kind of PITA
limitations you face with a ShopSmith, it can be a good deal.

Lew

I was wondering why the animal rights group may have had an issue with
it. LOL

Leon[_7_] May 11th 15 02:29 PM

On 5/10/2015 5:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, you missed my point. If you are changing a tire on a dark road,
you sometimes need two hands. Unless you stick the flashlight in your
mouth or up your ass, there is no way to hold it and aim it exactly
where needed. A regular flashlight has to be propped up on a rock or
some sort of makeshift holder. This is the holder.

As you point out at 0:48, --- versatility

True - but that is a bit of overkill simply to light up a work area like
that. Lots of other ways can accomplish the same thing that do not pretend
to justify a product like this. Not buying the argument to support this
one.

May not be overkill to some if the tool is already in the vehicle.
Might as well use it.

Scott Lurndal May 11th 15 02:41 PM

wrote:

Not, it is better in the right circumstances. Chances are you'd not
have the kit in the trunk, but did you ever change a tire in the dark
on a country road with no one to hold a flashlight? Where would you
plug in your lights?

How about a camping trip? On a boat?

Perhaps you missed my point. Each of the attachments can be mounted on the "base" so it can imitate a stationary tool: A drill press, a scroll saw, a table saw and yes, a work light on a pole.

At 0:48 he attaches the flashlight to the battery, stands it up on the workbench and alters the angle to show it's versatility.

No, you missed my point. If you are changing a tire on a dark road,
you sometimes need two hands.

That's why I keep one of those headlamps in the glove box.

Dave in SoTex May 11th 15 03:33 PM

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

That's why I keep one of those headlamps in the glove box.

I've had the little Ryobi 4W in my truck for six or seven years.
Excellent, compact light.

Dave in SoTex

Ed Pawlowski May 11th 15 03:41 PM

On 5/10/2015 9:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you saying that you couldn't find a way to position the battery base flashlight to aim the light where you need it? I have more faith in you than that. If you can position one of the lanterns you mentioned in another post, I'm sure that you don't need the kit base and pole to aim the flashlight at that flat.

I'm saying it is possible. There are many potential situations changing
tires on a car, truck, tractor, whatever where it may be handy.

BTW...if you put the flashlight up your ass I believe it would be pointed in the wrong direction.

If you insert it correctly, you head gives off a nice warm glow.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] May 11th 15 04:03 PM

"Leon" wrote in message

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

This strikes me as the kind of thing you'd give to a teenager so he/she
could make things... same experiential learning bucket as Erector Sets and
Chemistry kits... I had access to a Shopsmith for that purpose when I was a
kid. In regards to both, they have no place in my shop today.

John

Ed Pawlowski May 11th 15 04:35 PM

On 5/10/2015 6:42 PM, tdacon wrote:

And here's the higher-end CelPro line.

http://cel-uk.com/celwork/celpro.html

Tom

Yeah, but that is European and all metric. It is hard to find metric
lumber to cut over here.

DerbyDad03 May 11th 15 04:45 PM

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 11:02:28 AM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

This could seriously be handy for a do it yourselfer.

http://youtu.be/GFnYRUyBQg4

This strikes me as the kind of thing you'd give to a teenager so he/she
could make things... same experiential learning bucket as Erector Sets and
Chemistry kits... I had access to a Shopsmith for that purpose when I was a
kid. In regards to both, they have no place in my shop today.

John

The key to giving this type of set-up to a beginner is to ensure (and hopefully to even show them) that for all of its versatility, it should not be considered a *real* tablesaw, drill press, scroll saw, etc. While the common saying is that a craftsman never blames his tools, we have to take that with a grain of salt.

When my daughter moved out, I wanted to get her some basic tools so she could tighten a screw, hammer a nail or bend a bracket if need be. Even though she is not really a girly-girl, I looked at some of the "pink tool kits" they make for women. All I was trying to do was soften the "industrial look" of the tool kit I was getting her. What I found was that the quality of those pink tool kits is extremely poor and not something that you want to use to teach a beginner basic repair skills.

For example, if my daughter was trying to fix something and the pliers bent or the screwdriver tip rounded over, what will she likely take away from the experience? "I can't do this. I hate fixing things." Since she has nothing to compare the quality of the tools to, she can only assume it was her fault. While I didn't buy her a set of Festool pliers, I also stayed away from those crappy 150 piece "everything a homeowner needs" bundles. I hand-picked some decent quality tools and built her a kit that could handle the types of repair jobs she might have to deal with. Now when she runs into something that her tools can't handle, she in generally aware that she really can blame the tools, not herself.

The same goes for the all-in-one kit we're discussing here. Without anything to compare the kit to (plus the fact that Dad/Grandpa/Uncle Bob gave it to the teenager) there's the chance the beginner will think that that is what a "real" tool is like, while the more experienced of us know that it is not.

DerbyDad03 May 11th 15 04:48 PM

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 11:25:13 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/10/2015 6:42 PM, tdacon wrote:

And here's the higher-end CelPro line.

http://cel-uk.com/celwork/celpro.html

Tom

Yeah, but that is European and all metric. It is hard to find metric
lumber to cut over here.

I have an imperial flashlight and a metric flashlight so I can change tires in any country. ;-)