Posted to rec.woodworking

Default have you tried or a member of a coop or shared workshop

i have noticed that the coops and shared work spaces are really
sprouting up all over

How do you like the arrangement of the coop or shared space you're
part of

some of them have quite a wide variety of machines available

powder coat booths, CNC router, and on and on

some have foundries, kilns, looms

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 11:57:22 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
i have noticed that the coops and shared work spaces are really
sprouting up all over

How do you like the arrangement of the coop or shared space you're
part of

some of them have quite a wide variety of machines available

powder coat booths, CNC router, and on and on

some have foundries, kilns, looms

It was not a woodworking shop, but when I was living on Long Island there was "shared shop" where you could rent a bay with a lift to do your auto repairs/modifications. It came with a bunch of free tools at each bay, other free tools available from the tool crib and some specialized tools that had a rental fee. We used to do our own exhaust work, front end work, etc. I remember seeing a lot of guys use the shop to install lift kits and huge tires on their pick-up trucks.

While I found the use of the shared space extremely convenient, I think the difference between a shared auto repair space and a shared woodworking shop is that woodworking equipment needs a lot more individualized set-up than an auto shop bay. Let's say you need to cut hundreds of tenons for a bunch of cabinet doors. Ideally you would want to set up the table saw (or router) once, cut them all, and them move on - even if you had to to take a break for a day or two. A shared shop may mean that you have spend (waste) a lot of shop time setting up the equipment multiple times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
i have noticed that the coops and shared work spaces are really
sprouting up all over

How do you like the arrangement of the coop or shared space you're
part of

some of them have quite a wide variety of machines available

powder coat booths, CNC router, and on and on

some have foundries, kilns, looms

I have to admit - I have never heard of coops -besides those that Swingman
builds. I'm not big though on club type services. I live out in the
country, so I'm not big on driving into some location to do something - I'd
rather equip myself to do it right here in my garage. But - that is just a
personal perspective. I have the space to put in any type of equipment that
I decide to buy and put to use, so that may also affect my perspective - I
don't have to resort to going somewhere simply because I cannot accomodate
that function myself.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message

i have noticed that the coops and shared work spaces are really
sprouting up all over

How do you like the arrangement of the coop or shared space you're
part of

some of them have quite a wide variety of machines available

powder coat booths, CNC router, and on and on

some have foundries, kilns, looms

I have a large array of interests, so a coop or even several coops sound
like a good idea on the surface, but I've found that whenever I have to
count on others (even when I am paying them) my plans get derailed.

Example: I bought a Miller 212 and learned to weld aluminum because a local
welding shop kept telling me two weeks for months on end. I'm not as good a
welder as he is, but my aluminum boat doesn't sink, and my welds don't
break.

I think that a core group in a coop probably gets great benefit from it, and
others find that they are always waiting for their turn to use something.
If there is a coop you are interested in I would see if you can hang around
some at the times you might be working, and see how you are treated before
ponying up any cash or equipment. If you can't size each other up ahead of
time, or they only seem to want you to join because you have something they
need then you might want to keep looking. A group should go both ways. Any
group. There are some guys in my fishing clubs that I actively dislike, but
if I saw them up high and dry on a sandbar or floating down river with a
blown motor I'ld get out my heavy tow rope. That's the kind of group (club,
coop, association, etc) you do want to be a member of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There was a coop in the valley I lived in for years. Then a 'new'
guy used some of the wood of another and all heck broke out. The
wood was special the the owner and he was a mentally injured Vet from
Nam. It was not pretty. The Coop shut down.

Martin

On 5/1/2015 11:35 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 May 2015 10:07:25 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I have a large array of interests, so a coop or even several coops
sound like a good idea on the surface, but I've found that whenever I
have to count on others (even when I am paying them) my plans get
derailed.

This list I got from the web one
from the scheduling calendar where you schedule the machine

i don't know what they all are
to me it's an impressive list

3D Printer #3 (UP!)
3D Printer (Printrbot)
3D Scanner
CNC Desktop Router (ShopBot Desktop)
CNC Embroiderer
CNC Milling Machine (Tormach)
CNC Wood Router (ShopBot Buddy)
CNC Wood Router (ShopBot)
Computer Lab
Conference Room
Heat Press
Industrial Serger Machine
Industrial Straight Stitch
Industrial Walking Foot
Injection Molding Machine
Jointer/Planer
Laser Cutter #1
Laser Cutter #2
Laser Cutter #3
Laser Rotary Attachment
Lathe #1 (Jet)
Lathe #2 (Jet)
MakerBot Replicator (Dual Head)
MakerBot Replicator (Single Head)
MIG/TIG Welder #1 (Lincoln)
MIG/TIG Welder #2 (Lincoln)
Milling Machine #1 (Jet)
Milling Machine #2 (Jet)
Milling Machine #3 (Jet)
Powder Coating Oven
Quilting Machine
Sandblaster
Sewing Machine #1
Sewing Machine #2
Silk Screening Machine
Spray Booth
Table Saw/Router
Vacuum Former
Vehicle Bay
Vinyl Cutter
Waterjet (Flowjet)
Wood Lathe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 May 2015 09:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

individualized set-up than an auto shop bay. Let's say you need to
cut hundreds of tenons for a bunch of cabinet doors. Ideally you
would want to set up the table saw (or router) once, cut them all,
and them move on - even if you had to to take a break for a day or
two. A shared shop may mean that you have spend (waste) a lot of shop
time setting up the equipment multiple times.

the shops i have looked at their websites of have scheduling
they are strict about the scheduling which is good

in another post i listed all the machines that can be scheduled

this list is also what you can schedule but from a different co opp

Available Tools

4 axis CNC mill manual mill metal lathe
6 needle embroidery machine CNC router sand blasting cabinet
CNC plasma cutter planishing hammer English wheel
TIG welder gas welder MIG welder
shear (16 gauge) metal belt sander horizontal band saw
metal and wood bandsaw permitted paint booth wood belt sander
3D printer (abs plastic) Corner Notcher Shrinker/ Stretcher
35 Ton Press Brake Grinder/ Polisher metal and wood drill presses
Saw Stop table saw 15" planer miter saw
panel saw cnc router with vacuum table assorted hand tools
VIC Engrave Corel Software Suite V Carve Pro
EagleCAD, Rhino Fritzing, Alibre Mach3
Cut 3D, SketchUp DecoraStudio Arduino, PCB 123
large format laser cutters laser engravers CNC Plasma
oscilloscopes function generator variable power supplies
multi-meters soldering irons large format vinyl cutter
industrial sewing machine large format inkjet printer free wireless internet service
conference room w/projector 4 color silk screen and dryer
and much more...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 May 2015 20:13:25 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Nam. It was not pretty. The Coop shut down.

sounds like a poorly run place if they let people steal things from
others

worse that they didn't intervene to prevent something bad

the co oops now are well run as they need to be to prevent bad stuff
happening

some are not cheap

but they open up possibilities that are unavailable to most people

i know someone that joined on recently and is energized about making
things and it's good to see

you can see in other posts the list of machines available

car bays
paint booths
powder coat booths
English wheel

and on and on

i think once anyone with even a little imagination begins to
see the capabilities can begin making things they may not have
considered before

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 May 2015 12:35:58 -0400
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I have to admit - I have never heard of coops -besides those that

i only found out recently how many there are
it's not a fad and they are well managed and organized and can be
big $$$

posted equipment lists in other posts
it is impressive

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would not like the travel aspect of using the equipment. Even if it is an impressive list of equipment and is available at any hour. You have to spend 30-60 minutes each way getting to the shop. My woodworking is usually done in short intervals. 1 or 2 hours at a time to accomplish one aspect of the project. Never 8-10-12 hours straight completing the whole project. And if you are traveling to and from the shop, you would feel you need to spend an entire day there to justify it. Its a hobby to me. I want to do it when I want to do it for as long as I want. Short or long. The travel makes it more of a job. You spend 30 minutes getting to the shop/job. You work all day at the shop/job. Then spend 30 minutes going home. And is the co-op shop open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year? Who knows when I will want to cut a board.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 May 2015 15:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I would not like the travel aspect of using the equipment.

you would not like the payments you'd have to make to have those tools
available to you

here's a list from two different shops:

[...]

other shop list

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

I would not like the travel aspect of using the equipment. Even if it
is an impressive list of equipment and is available at any hour. You
have to spend 30-60 minutes each way getting to the shop. My
woodworking is usually done in short intervals. 1 or 2 hours at a
time to accomplish one aspect of the project. Never 8-10-12 hours
straight completing the whole project. And if you are traveling to
and from the shop, you would feel you need to spend an entire day
there to justify it. Its a hobby to me. I want to do it when I want
to do it for as long as I want. Short or long. The travel makes it
more of a job. You spend 30 minutes getting to the shop/job. You
work all day at the shop/job. Then spend 30 minutes going home. And
is the co-op shop open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year? Who knows
when I will want to cut a board.

Obviously it's not a replacement for having your own tools and stuff.
However, considering they make access to otherwise inaccessible equipment
it might be worth joining. (Do you have space for a CNC mill, 3D
printer, laser cutter, injection molding machine etc?)

I travel 30 minutes each way to get to the local model railroad club. I
usually spend the evening down there on meeting nights, so the travel
isn't bad at all.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I would not like the travel aspect of using the equipment.

you would not like the payments you'd have to make to have those tools
available to you

here's a list from two different shops:

SNIP irrelevant list of stuff...

But - how many of those would you ever find a use for?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

individualized set-up than an auto shop bay. Let's say you need to
cut hundreds of tenons for a bunch of cabinet doors. Ideally you
would want to set up the table saw (or router) once, cut them all,
and them move on - even if you had to to take a break for a day or
two. A shared shop may mean that you have spend (waste) a lot of shop
time setting up the equipment multiple times.

the shops i have looked at their websites of have scheduling

Is that English?

they are strict about the scheduling which is good

That doesn't change my thoughts on issues related individualized setup. In fact, it actually supports my point. If I have 120 tenons to cut for a kitchen project, I can set up my table saw once and knock them off in a matter of hours or a matter of weeks, depending on *my* schedule. If I have to share a table saw and schedule my time based on when it's available, I may have to set up the saw multiple times. If I can't schedule a block of time long enough to do the set up (install the dado stack, do some test cuts, etc.) then cut my tenons then put the saw back to whatever they consider "original condition" before my time is up, I would have to set-up and take down the saw multiple times.

....Snip...
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I was a member of a local woodworking/craft club foe a couple of
years and will likely rejoin when I retire. They had a good assortment
of power woodworking tools as well as upholstery tools (industrial
sewing machine etc)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2015 11:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

i have noticed that the coops and shared work spaces are really
sprouting up all over

How do you like the arrangement of the coop or shared space you're
part of

some of them have quite a wide variety of machines available

powder coat booths, CNC router, and on and on

some have foundries, kilns, looms

There's a place in Norwalk Connecticut that I stumbled on because it is
attached to a Woodcraft dealership. They have a spacious shop; 5000 sq.
feet if memory serves, with a fair amount of gear and workstations.
Here's the interesting bit: you don't necessarily need to become a
member to use it. They sell "time cards", which (again, from memory)
work out to something like $15/hour if bought in 10-hour increments.

[all of this information is a couple of years old)

I was there on a Saturday or Sunday at around midday, presumably "rush
hour". There were a half dozen people working. The fellow I spoke to
said that some people come there at the beginning of a project to use
their (very large) table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, etc. Then they
take the parts home and continue in their own (presumably small, less
well-equipped) shops.

They give classes there as well. If you join, you can not only use the
shop whenever you please, but you can store your work there; I believe
they have a locked area.

The pay-as-you-go option seemed pretty attractive for an under-equipped
guy like me. If the place wasn't an hour from home I might have tried it
by now. You can apparently even have lumber delivered directly to the place.

One of the people who does that was a woman in her late sixties (at
least). She apparently takes the train there every weekend from NY City.
I'm not sure what she was building; when I was there she was cutting up
some small parts. Maybe she rents a car once in a while to bring the
work home.

I just took a look at their site:

http://www.woodworkersclubnorwalk.co...ults.asp?Cat=2

Turns out the prices I remember are still accurate. You can actually get
25 hours for $210. I remember a giant old table saw, but now they
apparently have two SawStops. I probably really should get my "planning"
act in gear and start a project there, but my free time is kind of
hit-or-miss. It would be awfully efficient though.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 09:17:39 -0400
Greg Guarino wrote:

Turns out the prices I remember are still accurate. You can actually
get 25 hours for $210. I remember a giant old table saw, but now they
apparently have two SawStops. I probably really should get my
"planning" act in gear and start a project there, but my free time is
kind of hit-or-miss. It would be awfully efficient though.

that is not bad some of the shops require monthly commitments

there are lots of different usage/subscription models

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

they make a lot of sense to me and they open up opportunities for
a lot of folks that don't have the space, money or know-how

Excellent! That's how it should work - you see value in it, you spend your
money on it. It just don't get any better than that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 3:57:49 PM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

they make a lot of sense to me and they open up opportunities for
a lot of folks that don't have the space, money or know-how

Excellent! That's how it should work - you see value in it, you spend your
money on it. It just don't get any better than that.

Well, it could get a little better than that:

It could actually *have* value. Some people see value where it doesn't really exist. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I would not like the travel aspect of using the equipment.

you would not like the payments you'd have to make to have those tools
available to you

here's a list from two different shops:

SNIP irrelevant list of stuff...

But - how many of those would you ever find a use for?

Interestingly I have most of the machines on his list that I have a use for,
and a few that aren't listed like brakes and presses. I wouldn't mind a
bigger lathe, but the two little ones I have get me by. I wouldn't mind a
tig welder, but the dual head - dual tank Miller 212 does most of my shop
welding adequately. My Lincoln suitcase handles most of the field work.
For really dirty welding I even still have on old cracker box stick welder.
The only thing on their list I covet is a 3D scanner. Probably pick one up
later this year. Can't afford a really good one, but I sure won't have a
Cubify or a MakerBot either.

Anyway, the coop might work out for some people. If you use your tools
everyday maybe not so much. My only real concern was that tools are
available fairly and often, and not just for the in cliché. I had not
thought about travel. My shop is about 40 yards from my house.

Anyway, I still stick by my original thoughts on the subject. See if you
can hang around during the times you might be expecting to use the coop's
work shop and see if it seems like a place you would like doing your work.
Prospect them like you were joining a motorcycle club. That way you can see
if it's a good match for you while they see if you are a good match for
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 May 2015 16:38:35 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Interestingly I have most of the machines on his list that I have a
use for, and a few that aren't listed like brakes and presses. I

well you must have real nice shop

one shop does has a 35 ton press brake

Anyway, the coop might work out for some people. If you use your

it seems to work good for a lot of people since the shops are showing up
all over now

club. That way you can see if it's a good match for you while they
see if you are a good match for them.

haven't looked to see what's closest

mostly just looking because it's such a great idea and it's setting
a spark in a lot of people that just would never have access to that
kind of equipments at a price that's affordable

a lot of people spend more on their phone/cable bill