Posted to rec.woodworking

Default annoyances

For some months I have been doing boring stuff like framing, drywall,
painting, etc. Tile too. Tons of tile. Tile by the 1000s.

I have finished all that and am ready to begin some more interesting
projects, all of which involve African mahogany contrasted with black. I
have made all my SketchUp drawings, done the take offs, run those through
Cutlist+ so I know how much of what stock I need and to what sizes the stock
must be cut.

Mostly, the black was meant to be 3/4 black melamine. Now, I don't much
like melamine board but it has advantages; namely. it doesn't need finishing
and it is (should be) inexpensive. I won't have to worry about taping most
edges as they will be hidden.

Now, here is the annoyance: Lowes doesn't carry it and won't/can't get
black; all they have is 3/4" white at about $40 per 4'x8' sheet. All HD
carries is 5/8 white mel board (about $35) but they can get black for
$90/sheet. I'll fry in hell before I pay $90. A local cabinet supply place
has it for $60. I didn't ask the price for white but I bought 25-30 sheets
from them a few years back for $700. More now, I am sure, but I bet its not
$60.

What is the deal about black mel board?? If I lived in the upper midwest I
could walk into a Menards and buy white OR black @ $29.97. Actually, I
could buy any of the 12-15 colors it is made in from them (they might have
to special order those).

I tell you, it is not easy living in the hinterlands of central Florida
where "good" wood is #1 common instead of #2.

I don't expect any resolution from you, just venting...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

I tell you, it is not easy living in the hinterlands of central
Florida where "good" wood is #1 common instead of #2.

I don't expect any resolution from you, just venting...

It's worse in south Fla.

Anyway, if Dixie Plywood isn't too far from you, you might
try giving them a call.

There also used to be a place in Jax, Florida Southern
Plywood or something like that, that had a wide variety
of sheet goods.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

What is the deal about black mel board?? If I lived in the upper
midwest I could walk into a Menards and buy white OR black @ $29.97.
Actually, I could buy any of the 12-15 colors it is made in from
them (they might have to special order those).

How many sheets are you willing to buy?

When I was building the boat, negotiated directly with the sheet goods
wholesalers.

Would buy a standard unit (70 shts) of 4 ply CDX (Approx 40+
lbs/sheet).

Got it delivered by their 18 wheeler with a rear lift gate.

Since a unit was almost 3,000 lbs, having access to my landlord's
towmotor to position unit for easy sheet access didn't hurtG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2015 3:15 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

I visited using the same material for a desk project 2 years ago. Black
in 3/4 was simply not available from any of my known suppliers in the
Houston area. I opted for Cherry.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

At least its good to know I am not alone. I really don't get it though, I
used to see stacks of it at HD. Maybe almond too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:00:56 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

I remember lots of white, black, birch, cherry, and almond melamine
board - generally on sawdust core. Recently I've seen white "shelf
board" with wheat straw core.

I do know of a cabinet manufacturer that generally has both the
sawdust core and MDF available in several colours, where I have
purchased materials when required.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

At least its good to know I am not alone. I really don't get it
though, I used to see stacks of it at HD. Maybe almond too.

There used to be lots of good stuff at Home Depot that
has since been replaced with vacuum cleaners, detergent,
and windshield wiper blades.

John

(who thinks Home Depot is trying to compete with Walmart)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 14:26:39 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in :

At least its good to know I am not alone. I really don't get it
though, I used to see stacks of it at HD. Maybe almond too.

There used to be lots of good stuff at Home Depot that
has since been replaced with vacuum cleaners, detergent,
and windshield wiper blades.

John

(who thinks Home Depot is trying to compete with Walmart)

Next thing they'll be adding food aisles too!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Update: I went to Lakeland to buy some lumber this AM (170 bd.ft. of poplar)
and stopped by the cabinet supply shop mentioned above "just to check" on
the way (I had phoned the first time). They can get black melamine in a day
or two, same price as the white, $37 + tax. Works for me, I'm happy again.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Update: I went to Lakeland to buy some lumber this AM (170 bd.ft. of
poplar)

Where you gets your poplar in Lakeland? How much? Might
be worth taking a detour next time I go upstate...

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Update: I went to Lakeland to buy some lumber this AM (170 bd.ft. of
poplar)

Where you gets your poplar in Lakeland? How much? Might
be worth taking a detour next time I go upstate...

John

Here
http://www.hardwoodlumberandmillwork.com/

It isn't really a lumber yard, mostly a guy that does custom wood and mill
work that also stocks reasonable quantities of a fair number of species.

I paid $2.73 including 7% tax for the poplar. Could have got it from NC for
$1.80, would have saved some even with shipping but I prefer to pick what I
buy if I can.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Here
http://www.hardwoodlumberandmillwork.com/

It isn't really a lumber yard, mostly a guy that does custom wood and
mill work that also stocks reasonable quantities of a fair number of
species.

I paid $2.73 including 7% tax for the poplar. Could have got it from
NC for $1.80, would have saved some even with shipping but I prefer to
pick what I buy if I can.

Thanks! $2.73 doesn't sound bad, allowing for shipping and
a fair profit to the seller. Certainly a better price than
anywhere I know in S Fla.

John