Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Minnie Minoso RIP

Another one bites the dust at 89.

Minnie, "The Cuban Comet", broke into MLB with the Cleveland Indians
in 1949, was traded to the Chicago White son in 1951 where he
became a fan favorite.

He was the first black man to play for the White Sox.

He could do it all. Run and steal the bases, hit for distance as well
as percentage, and was a pretty good outfielder.

Somehow he never made the hall of fame.

The Indians broke my heart when the traded Minnie, I was too young
to appreciate the economics of major league baseball and Bill Veeck
had left Cleveland for Chicago where he bought the White Sox.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 8:42:56 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Another one bites the dust at 89.

Minnie, "The Cuban Comet", broke into MLB with the Cleveland Indians
in 1949, was traded to the Chicago White son in 1951 where he
became a fan favorite.

He was the first black man to play for the White Sox.

He could do it all. Run and steal the bases, hit for distance as well
as percentage, and was a pretty good outfielder.

Somehow he never made the hall of fame.

The Indians broke my heart when the traded Minnie, I was too young
to appreciate the economics of major league baseball and Bill Veeck
had left Cleveland for Chicago where he bought the White Sox.

Lew

Where was the shout out for Earl Lloyd, the first black man to play in the NBA?

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nb...neer/24109145/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote:

Where was the shout out for Earl Lloyd, the first black man to play
in the NBA?

Seems like you missed an opportunity.

Lew