Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default deflection in router bits

I don't use a router often but recently I dusted both of mine off and
got a surprise. I was using a 1-1/4-inch x 1/4-inch shank flush trim
bit and I thought my router was broken.

But after some routing and closer inspection I found that the bit just
isn't stiff enough at top speed to remain straight. It is easy to see
it and when I tried to use it it was easy to feel it and hear it. It
caused the whole router to vibrate and caused a lot of chatter. I tried
in the other router and the same thing but to a lesser amount. I've got
a bit that has a 1/2-inch shank and finished what I needed.

Two things occurred to me.

1 the bit has two bearings and they both need to rest on the material
i wasn't doing that because the bit's longer than the material's
thick But even so a router bit needs to remain straight and stiff
and this doesn't at ~23,000/rpm

2 1/4-inch shank is not the way to go for a flush trim bit, needs
to be a 1/2-inch shank to maintain proper stiffness and avoid
the horrible deflection.

maybe it'd be ok at lower rpm but both routers are full on or
off

freud router bits: worth the price? Need 'canoe' bits Bernard Arnest Woodworking 8 June 7th 10 01:03 PM
(router) bits by bit bent Woodworking 0 December 30th 06 08:07 PM
Router Bits bthiede Woodworking 20 August 26th 06 02:46 PM
spiral router bits and router technique Doug Woodworking 6 January 29th 05 03:15 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM