Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Interesting videos

Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf Maker,
a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width with
undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked extremely
well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with a 3/8" wide
dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

In this video he builds a dandy folding step stool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8iCJZQvFiE#t=198

Ok, lets add this too.... A small walnut stool with very interesting
joinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6cYgxLMkE

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf
Maker, a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width
with undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked
extremely well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with
a 3/8" wide dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/15 10:21 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf
Maker, a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width
with undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked
extremely well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with
a 3/8" wide dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

I think it's the fast-motion.
I don't see anything in the video that looks too dangerous.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

Interesting, but I would have preferred to see the final product before
he began. Unlike you, I wasn't sure how this was going to work.

Ok, lets add this too.... A small walnut stool with very interesting
joinery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6cYgxLMkE

That reminds me of the way wooden puzzles fit together. I bought _Puzzle
Craft_ by Stewart T. Coffin years ago (from him in person), but I don't
have the skills yet to actually make a good one. I'll say this: watching
these youtube videos of how other people solve these problems is helping
me learn.

Elijah
------
generally pretty good at assembling 3-D puzzles
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2015 10:21 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf
Maker, a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width
with undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked
extremely well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with
a 3/8" wide dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

That is true, there are some unsafe moves, we all make them. It was his
skill level and the quality of the project that I was more interested
in, and the speed at which he handles that sand paper. ;~)

He seems young, somewhat naive, and hopefully he will have a close call
and reevaluates his methods before the inevitable happens.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 7:14:23 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf Maker,
a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width with
undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked extremely
well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with a 3/8" wide
dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

In this video he builds a dandy folding step stool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8iCJZQvFiE#t=198

Ok, lets add this too.... A small walnut stool with very interesting
joinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6cYgxLMkE

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

2 Comments...OK, 3

1 - I was surprised to see how much band saw blade he has exposed.

2 - All that melting snow...all that mess/moisture in his shop.

3 - Phenomenal work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

This must be my week for not seeing things, because once again, I do not see
anything in that video that shows fingers so clos to fast moving sharpened
steel. I've now watched it twice and they guy follows all of the right
safety measures on those tools. I think the fast motion can/does create an
illusion that the viewer should watch more than once to be sure to see what
is really happening, because I just don't see anywhere that his fingers are
in a position to worry "if something went wrong".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2015 3:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

This must be my week for not seeing things, because once again, I do not see
anything in that video that shows fingers so clos to fast moving sharpened
steel. I've now watched it twice and they guy follows all of the right
safety measures on those tools. I think the fast motion can/does create an
illusion that the viewer should watch more than once to be sure to see what
is really happening, because I just don't see anywhere that his fingers are
in a position to worry "if something went wrong".

In one of the videos, that I provided a link to, there was a situation
that I recall being a bit dicey. He was ripping narrow stock and not
using a push stick of any kind.

About 38 seconds in and at about 3:55 he begins a rip and then backs the
wood back out with his hand beside the blade in a near full up position.
At about 4:20 his BS guard/upper guides should be much closer to the work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2015 2:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yup! and a lot of flex in that blade.

2 - All that melting snow...all that mess/moisture in his shop.

I could be wrong but in a cold shop that water may just drain to the
front and out of the garage. If not warm the humidity would probably
stay pretty low.

3 - Phenomenal work.

Not bad at all, I'd like to see where he is at in 10 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:18:19 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Electric Comet wrote:

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

This must be my week for not seeing things, because once again, I do not see
anything in that video that shows fingers so clos to fast moving sharpened
steel. I've now watched it twice and they guy follows all of the right
safety measures on those tools. I think the fast motion can/does create an
illusion that the viewer should watch more than once to be sure to see what
is really happening, because I just don't see anywhere that his fingers are
in a position to worry "if something went wrong".

At 0:32 and a close up at 0:37, I would certainly be using a push
stick. I keep one on top of the fence so I can grab it when I find
myself getting anywhere close. I don't believe in reaching so my
parts on the opposite side of the sharp thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:21:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Is *that* what that was. ;-)

3 - Phenomenal work.

Yep. Nice work. Nice engineering. Impressive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 6:14:23 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

I like it, too. I have an 8' bench that could use some better mobilization. I might try to rework/rebuild the base, somehow, with what he's demonstrated.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 6:14:23 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

I like it, too. I have an 8' bench that could use some better mobilization. I might try to rework/rebuild the base, somehow, with what he's demonstrated.

Sonny

That guy is good. Fast too! I'm not sure why he's got the vehicles in
there?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

At both of those time marks in the provided link, he is scribing with
a tri-square. What is so dangerous in that?

It strikes me that some of us may be responding to different links. Here is
the link that was originally provided, and upon which I had based all of my
comments.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2015 11:21 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Several years back Bridge City Tools manufactured and sold a Kerf
Maker, a dandy tool for cutting dado's and grooves perfect in width
with undersized blades and router bits. I own one and it worked
extremely well for cutting 3/64" deep half lap joints 1/2" wide with
a 3/8" wide dado set.

This guy builds one and may have had too much coffee before he began
filing and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8#t=198

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

I didn't see anything that worried me. I thought he operated pretty safely.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2015 4:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

This must be my week for not seeing things, because once again, I do not see
anything in that video that shows fingers so clos to fast moving sharpened
steel. I've now watched it twice and they guy follows all of the right
safety measures on those tools. I think the fast motion can/does create an
illusion that the viewer should watch more than once to be sure to see what
is really happening, because I just don't see anywhere that his fingers are
in a position to worry "if something went wrong".

Agreed,
I didn't see the problems in the joints the other day, but the video
came in very crappy.

Must be my eyes... :-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

It's well done but not what I'd want.

I think I may put some casters on mine that engage via a quick
adjustment ring and disengage with same. With the ring large
enough to get good leverage but not so big to get in the way.

I haven't seen anything off the shelf. But I'm still looking
around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

So Mike did you not see the "4" links in the original post? It is in
the last one that the excitement begins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2015 11:59 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

It's well done but not what I'd want.

I think I may put some casters on mine that engage via a quick
adjustment ring and disengage with same. With the ring large
enough to get good leverage but not so big to get in the way.

I haven't seen anything off the shelf. But I'm still looking
around.

Here are a couple more ideas, the first involves needing storage for the
wheels unless you simply permanently attached them at the top with hinges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMmQH0msW4

Or really simple but involves a bit of lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7EgoYJAqc

Same principal but a bet more refined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HENMh1FWtj0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 1:02:03 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

It's well done but not what I'd want.

I think I may put some casters on mine that engage via a quick
adjustment ring and disengage with same. With the ring large
enough to get good leverage but not so big to get in the way.

I haven't seen anything off the shelf. But I'm still looking
around.

I use this on my table saw:

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-50-345-U...1428042&sr=1-2

I think I would prefer something with multiple casters that rotate vs. the 2 fixed and 1 rotating that this base uses. My shop is really small and while pulling the saw straight out from the wall and pushing it back in is fine, angling it is a bear since I basically have to drag the back wheels sideways.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2015 11:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I have this under my 700# Sawstop saw. If moves as you like, all
casters swivel. Pricey and made by Sawstop. It is the industrial
mobile base. It has a hydraulic lift pedal that you pump 4~5 times and
the beast floats across the floor. My garage floor is slightly slanted
towards the drive way and if I am not careful the saw will roll out of
the garage on its own. Tap a lever and the saw floats down to the
floor. It is seriously the Cadillac of mobile bases.

http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-MB-IND.../dp/B0040GXX1I

My previous Jet cabinet saw was much lighter but was on a tripod style,
2 wheels fixed and one swiveled. I thought it was great but ir required
some maneuvering to get it into a specific place. The Sawstop
Industrial mobile base works so well that I have never longed for the
old stile base.

$300 and for me worth every penny.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 12:33:02 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Based on the size of my shop the $/ft cost would be significantly higher for me than for you. I wouldn't near the mileage out of my base that you get. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 4:14:16 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

The end product is nice. But those fingers so close to fast moving
sharpened steel uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it's the fast-motion
of the videos but there seemed to be too many times when his fingers
were in a position where if something went wrong it might be bad.

This must be my week for not seeing things, because once again, I do not see
anything in that video that shows fingers so clos to fast moving sharpened
steel. I've now watched it twice and they guy follows all of the right
safety measures on those tools. I think the fast motion can/does create an
illusion that the viewer should watch more than once to be sure to see what
is really happening, because I just don't see anywhere that his fingers are
in a position to worry "if something went wrong".

--

-Mike-

Take a look at this video starting at about 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6cYgxLMkE

He is seen test fitting a joint on top of his sled with the blade still spinning. Call me chicken, but I would be a bit farther from the blade than he is, especially if I was trying to fit a complex joint together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:15:01 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I use this on my table saw:

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-50-345-U...1428042&sr=1-2

I think I would prefer something with multiple casters that rotate vs. the 2 fixed and 1 rotating that this base uses.

Right.... see below.

My shop is really small and while pulling the saw straight out from the wall and pushing it back in is fine, angling it is a bear since I basically have to drag the back wheels sideways.

I wrestle with mine, similarly. I have the Delta mobile base on both my saws. My wooden shop floor is not perfectly level and the rubber bumpers/feet corners, near the swivel caster, often drag the floor. Those rubber bumpers have about 1/8" (or less?) clearance from the floor.

The areas, where I have the saws, was once the bathroom and adjacent kitchen of the house (interior walls removed), and the floor levels of the two areas/rooms are not the same. This unevenness also affects the outfeed tables and side tables (both are shimmed) relative to the saws' tops. Whenever I have moved the saws, I also performed leveling gymnastics to get everthing back in line.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

Ok - I'll call you a chicken on this one. I find it perfectly safe, but
that's probably just a difference in what we each view as safe.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:14:57 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think I would prefer something with multiple casters that rotate
vs. the 2 fixed and 1 rotating that this base uses. My shop is really
small and while pulling the saw straight out from the wall and
pushing it back in is fine, angling it is a bear since I basically
have to drag the back wheels sideways.

my saw's that way too but I keep the saw in the middle of the shop now.
So far that works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:31:51 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

My previous Jet cabinet saw was much lighter but was on a tripod
style, 2 wheels fixed and one swiveled. I thought it was great but
ir required some maneuvering to get it into a specific place. The
Sawstop Industrial mobile base works so well that I have never longed
for the old stile base.

Mine's the tripod style. But I decided I don't really need to move
it much. But if so it's definitely more work than full swivel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 10:43:39 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/15/2015 11:59 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:15 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And I really like how he made a stationary work bench, mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpVr4nwt9g

It's well done but not what I'd want.

I think I may put some casters on mine that engage via a quick
adjustment ring and disengage with same. With the ring large
enough to get good leverage but not so big to get in the way.

I haven't seen anything off the shelf. But I'm still looking
around.

Here are a couple more ideas, the first involves needing storage for
the wheels unless you simply permanently attached them at the top
with hinges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMmQH0msW4

all I saw was a beautiful chevy and I wanted to see more of the GTO.
was there a workbench in there

Or really simple but involves a bit of lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7EgoYJAqc

This one's the best. occam's razor applied correctly
will provide good "inspiration"

Same principal but a bet more refined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HENMh1FWtj0

Ok, but seemed to suffer complexification.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

I had no problem with it either.

Damn, I am agreeing with Mike twice in 2 days.
Holly crap :-0

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2015 11:43 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That first one is cool. Nice design.
The second is an old design.
The third is a nice twist on an old design. Well done.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

I do questionable stuff but trying a test fit of a joint a couple of
inches away from a blade that is still spinning is not what I would suggest.

I think you have made up your mind that regardless of what we point out
you are not going to, never mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2015 3:29 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

LOL, You many not have seen the Chevy or the Goat either had both had a
bikini model adorning the vehicles. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2015 2:41 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:31:51 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

My previous Jet cabinet saw was much lighter but was on a tripod
style, 2 wheels fixed and one swiveled. I thought it was great but
ir required some maneuvering to get it into a specific place. The
Sawstop Industrial mobile base works so well that I have never longed
for the old stile base.

Mine's the tripod style. But I decided I don't really need to move
it much. But if so it's definitely more work than full swivel.

I was skeptical of the 4 wheel vs. 3 wheel tripod layout. The 3 wheel
layout does not rock regardless of how uneven the surface is. Although
the SawStop hydraulic base is heavily built it seems to still have all 4
wheels on the floor with 700#'s resting on top, regardless of where it
place it in a 3 car garage. Having said that if there had been a tripod
style base available for the industrial version of the SawStop I
probably would have opted for that style again 2 years ago. The
location of the dust port on this particular model saw was problematic
as far as extension tables and mobile bases were concerned. Fortunately
Sawstop offered this base and HTC, "just in time" changed their out feed
roller extension to work around the dust port. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:19:46 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

LOL, You many not have seen the Chevy or the Goat either had both
had a bikini model adorning the vehicles. :~)

And the shop walls looked like an operating room