Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who to blame

I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know
who to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent
marker but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.

What do you do?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:36:55 -0800, Electric Comet wrote:

I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know who
to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent marker
but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.

What do you do?

For small stuff, I use an archival pen, available at art supply stores.
For the big stuff I use a branding iron and then use the pen to add the
date. Others have epoxied in a new penny for the date.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message ...

I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know
who to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent
marker but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.

What do you do?

If I mark something, I usually just write my name and the year in pencil in
an inconspicuous place... sometimes with a coat of poly or shellac over it
if it could be smeared in handling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2014 11:36 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know
who to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent
marker but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.

What do you do?

People that get/buy my pieces do not forget who built them, I suspect
that will hold true for you too. Going overboard to see to it that some
one that identifies your work long after you are gone are not going to
think much about the answer. Seems more than a signature is more work
than will be appreciated, IMHO.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message ...

I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know
who to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent
marker but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.

What do you do?

If I mark something, I usually just write my name and the year in pencil
in an inconspicuous place... sometimes with a coat of poly or shellac
over it if it could be smeared in handling.

Ditto ... mainly so if I see it again, and it looks familiar, I will be
able to tell if I made it.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2014 12:48 PM, Leon wrote:

People that get/buy my pieces do not forget who built them, I suspect
that will hold true for you too. Going overboard to see to it that some
one that identifies your work long after you are gone are not going to
think much about the answer. Seems more than a signature is more work
than will be appreciated, IMHO.

Stamp it with an IKEA logo and drive people nuts when they go to find a
copy for their own home.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:41:53 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:36:55 -0800, Electric Comet wrote:

I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know
who to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent
marker but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.

What do you do?

For small stuff, I use an archival pen, available at art supply

Will have to look at that.

stores. For the big stuff I use a branding iron and then use the pen

You mean a monogram branding iron? That might work. I think signing
any work gives it a little something. Makes it look more legit??
I guess it's a case of perception.

to add the date. Others have epoxied in a new penny for the date.

If the pen works I may use that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20/12/2014 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/20/2014 12:48 PM, Leon wrote:

People that get/buy my pieces do not forget who built them, I suspect
that will hold true for you too. Going overboard to see to it that some
one that identifies your work long after you are gone are not going to
think much about the answer. Seems more than a signature is more work
than will be appreciated, IMHO.

Stamp it with an IKEA logo and drive people nuts when they go to find a
copy for their own home.

Good one!!
The great US potter Warren Mackenzie stopped signing his work so that it
would encourage people to use the items rather than collect for
investment. Shoji Hamada didn't sign his as a sign of humility.
Graham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 11:41:05 -0800, Electric Comet wrote:

For small stuff, I use an archival pen, available at art supply

Will have to look at that.

Be sure and get two. One with white ink for dark woods.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:24:12 -0700
graham wrote:

The great US potter Warren Mackenzie stopped signing his work so that
it would encourage people to use the items rather than collect for

Ok, when folks start collecting mine I'll not sign them.

investment. Shoji Hamada didn't sign his as a sign of humility.

He was humiliated by his signature? Maybe it was just a huge PITA
to write the japanese characters. (kanji?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:22:41 -0500
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Stamp it with an IKEA logo and drive people nuts when they go to find
a copy for their own home.

Then you bring the wrath of the trademark attorneys down on your head
when the person calls IKEA and tells them about the IKEA product that
they just have to have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:08:42 -0600
Swingman wrote:

Ditto ... mainly so if I see it again, and it looks familiar, I will
be able to tell if I made it.

I will put the type of wood also on turnings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

graham wrote:

The great US potter Warren Mackenzie stopped signing his work so that
it would encourage people to use the items rather than collect for

Ok, when folks start collecting mine I'll not sign them.

investment. Shoji Hamada didn't sign his as a sign of humility.

He was humiliated by his signature? Maybe it was just a huge PITA
to write the japanese characters. (kanji?)

No!!! It was a Bhudist philosophy.
Graham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:35:16 -0700
graham wrote:

No!!! It was a Bhudist philosophy.

Ok, well I like to know the wood at least for turnings. And for gifts
the year can be nostalgic. Whether or not anyone knows it was me
is actually not relevant to me even though I titled this thread
as-if it mattered.

Many people like to know the wood type for things it seems.
Try selling someone a spurtle without telling them the wood type.
There's a reflexive "what kind of wood is this?".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 01:12:44 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Be sure and get two. One with white ink for dark woods.

Maybe I'll take the usual cheap route and get one gold (or silver)
and try that for light or dark woods.