Junior Member

Location: Texas
Default Ryobi Router Speed Control

I Have A Ryobi R163 Router And I'm Looking To Add A Speed Control Unit To My Router Table To Use With It. I've Read That In Time Some Speed Control Units May Ruin The Router Motors......i Would Like To Know If This Is True And If There Is A Speed Control Unit That Will Not Harm The Router
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2014 6:43 AM, ADRTE wrote:
I Have A Ryobi R163 Router And I'm Looking To Add A Speed Control Unit
To My Router Table To Use With It. I've Read That In Time Some Speed
Control Units May Ruin The Router Motors......i Would Like To Know If
This Is True And If There Is A Speed Control Unit That Will Not Harm The
Router

..
Most any woodworking store will have the controller that you are looking
for. Rockler or Woodcraft for sure.

Typically a speed controller will not harm a router motor. It is
advised to NOT use a combination of speed controllers. If your router
has a speed control built-in don't use an external also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

ADRTE wrote in
:

I Have A Ryobi R163 Router And I'm Looking To Add A Speed Control
Unit To My Router Table To Use With It. I've Read That In Time Some
Speed Control Units May Ruin The Router Motors......i Would Like To
Know If This Is True And If There Is A Speed Control Unit That Will
Not Harm The Router

Old-style speed controllers worked by varying the voltage to
the motor. This was not good, since lower voltage would lead
to the motor overheating.

Modern speed controllers work by varying the duty cycle of
the AC line current, and are safe to use with router motors.

That said, the aftermarket controllers you can buy from (as
Leon suggested) Rockler or Woodcraft are not particularly
cheap, and are not particularly durable. You might consider
if, in the long run, it wouldn't be better to simply get a
variable speed router, like a Bosch, to replace the Ryobi.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 22, 2014 4:43:37 AM UTC-7, ADRTE wrote:
I Have A Ryobi R163 Router And I'm Looking To Add A Speed Control Unit
To My Router Table To Use With It. I've Read That In Time Some Speed
Control Units May Ruin The Router Motors.

Speed controls for universal motors (the kind with brushes) are useful,
and relatively easy to build. The simplest (but not the cheapest) is
a vvariable autotransformer (Variac, Powerstat, lots of other brands).
A ten-amp unit will cost $200 or so (and will be useful for many other
tasks). Heavy, expensive: not a great solution.

Easier, is an electronic switching version, and many routers have
such systems already built in. Buying a second router is the easy
fix here.

External 'dimmer box' type speed controls are available, BUT they aren't
generally considered good practice, because they're not sized for
the motor, and because the switched signal generates RF hash.
I've seen these in the $10 to $50 range, but they are all 'buyer-beware'
items, IMHO. You MUST NOT USE A LIGHT DIMMER, that 'resistive
load only' warning is serious.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:43:37 +0200, ADRTE
wrote:

I Have A Ryobi R163 Router And I'm Looking To Add A Speed Control Unit
To My Router Table To Use With It. I've Read That In Time Some Speed
Control Units May Ruin The Router Motors......i Would Like To Know If
This Is True And If There Is A Speed Control Unit That Will Not Harm The
Router

The "dimmer" style of speed controller won't harm the router as long
as you don't stall the motor. Running a router at low speed isn't
such a good idea.