Posted to rec.woodworking

Default WoodSmith Tip

Use Sanding blocks?

Might like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:54:55 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
Use Sanding blocks?
Might like this one.
http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Nice one!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:54:55 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Use Sanding blocks?

Might like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Lew

Nice, but I've got 2 of this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...eapon-Sanding-
Block.aspx

and it's the best I've ever used.

BTW, Rockler, Lee Valley, and Amazon also carry it, but they're all a
little higher in price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

Nice, but I've got 2 of this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...eapon-Sanding-
Block.aspx

and it's the best I've ever used.

And I have several, with each one having its own differing grit paper on
it. For almost free.

Take a piece of wood, and rip it the width of your favorite belt sander.
Make it thinner, to 1/2" or leave it 3/4" Your choice. Cut the block the
length that the sandpaper will just fit on, after you round over the nose of
each end, or leave one end pretty square for getting into inside corners.
Slip your new or lightly used belts onto the block, then slip a 1/2" or 3/4"
block between the paper and the block, cut about a third of the length of
the block, to tighten up the belt and act as more of a handle.

When part of the paper gets loaded up or worn out, take out the tightening
block and rotate the belt around and you have a newly loaded block.

Works great. Almost free. I like almost free, and I get a second use from
belts.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2014 5:54 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Use Sanding blocks?

Might like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Lew

I simply use PSA sand paper wrapped around a block of wood. No lamps
needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 15, 2014 8:03:30 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I simply use PSA sand paper wrapped around a block of wood. No lamps

needed.

Then how do you see what you are doing?

Just kidding...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:54:55 PM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Use Sanding blocks?

Might like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Lew

I got one as a gift that looks like this:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...sanding-blocks

Works really, really well and, since I have a 3" X 21" belt sander, I generally have lots of grits on hand.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

As Jim, in N.C. says, making your own is easy enough. I've made a number of them to sand the various curved pieces (especially rockers), I've made over the years. I like using a 2X4 (11.5" long) for my beltsander belt.... my hand fits a full 2X4, better than a 1" thick board does.

Speaking of another sander, my PC orbital sander's foam pad has deteriorated and fallen apart. I removed the decay and installed a felt pad. The felt pad is the same as the felt caster material, used on the bottom of furniture feet/legs. The large rectangle felt pad was trimmed to fit the sander's disc and, with the sticky back, attached to the disc nice & firm. I used (my upholstery) foam spray adhesive to attach the rubber sheet (that the sandpaper adheres to) to the felt. I think felt should work fine, as a replacement pad. The pad's replacement cost range from $15 to $25, plus shipping, on Amazon. The felt costs about $5 for a 2 rectangle pack, at Walmart.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/19/14, 10:27 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:54:55 PM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Use Sanding blocks?

Might like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Lew

I got one as a gift that looks like this:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...sanding-blocks

Works really, really well and, since I have a 3" X 21" belt sander, I
generally have lots of grits on hand.

Bill

Now THAT is cool! That's the first manufactured sanding block that
makes sense.
No cutting sheets to size, no folding the paper and tucking into tiny
little slots. No *not* getting the paper tight enough in those little
slots. No 3 hands needed to instal paper.

I just bookmarked that summbich and I'll be ordering one soon.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/19/2014 3:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/19/14, 10:27 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:54:55 PM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Use Sanding blocks?

Might like this one.

http://tinyurl.com/qcu9mu9

Lew

I got one as a gift that looks like this:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...sanding-blocks

Works really, really well and, since I have a 3" X 21" belt sander, I
generally have lots of grits on hand.

Bill

Now THAT is cool! That's the first manufactured sanding block that
makes sense.
No cutting sheets to size, no folding the paper and tucking into tiny
little slots. No *not* getting the paper tight enough in those little
slots. No 3 hands needed to instal paper.

I just bookmarked that summbich and I'll be ordering one soon.

Might want to look here too.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...sanding-blocks

http://festoolusa.com/power-tool-acc...sanding-583129
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't have much need for smaller ones, since I've become very adept at
holding paper onto small wooden blocks for detail sanding.

What I can't to very well is hold larger sheets onto a block, which is
what that 21" belt one does so well.

I like both of those, however. The local Woodcraft keeps those little
Festools at the counter and jokingly refers to them as the only
affordable Festool. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Yeah! LOL

As I have mentioned in another post, I have a roll of PSA paper
approximately 4.5" wide by several yards. I tear off a piece and stick
it to the a wood block I have laying around. CHEAP!

A WoodSmith Tip Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 2 June 21st 13 08:01 PM
Woodsmith Tip Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 0 January 6th 12 10:02 PM
Woodsmith Magazine Irby Woodworking 3 February 19th 09 12:09 AM
WoodSmith Leon Woodworking 12 March 13th 08 05:46 PM
FS -- Woodsmith issues 1 - 42 Herb Robinson Woodworking 0 July 29th 04 03:48 PM