Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Suppliers

Hi all,
New to the forum.
I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber. I
wonder if anyone has openions (good or bad) about the following
suppliers. Or if you have recommendations for your favorite supplier.
Unfortunately my local source had recently gone belly up, so I'm force
to go to the internet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
BF

http://www.constantines.com/
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:46:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all, New to the forum. I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber.

How small of a project? I have a small cache of scraps I'll send you, for postage fees only. First 3 pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?details=1

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:04 -0700, Jim Weisgram
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, wrote:

Hi all,
New to the forum.
I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber. I
wonder if anyone has openions (good or bad) about the following
suppliers. Or if you have recommendations for your favorite supplier.
Unfortunately my local source had recently gone belly up, so I'm force
to go to the internet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
BF

http://www.constantines.com/
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/

You can also try http://www.woodfinder.com/,
http://www.woodmizer.com/us/Resource...tomSawyer.aspx, or
do a google search for hardwood and give a location.

Jim

Thanks everyone, rather a more helpful newsgroup than I'm used to.
I'll check the other suggested sites.
The project is a small gate leg drop leaf that will take about 8 board
feet. Probably a bit more than you scrap supply Sonny, but thanks for
the offer.
I'm in S East Ohio. I know that there are small mills about but don't
actually know where or if they want to bother with the public,
especially for a small quantity.
BF
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:46:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all, New to the forum. I'm starting a small project and need to source
some Cherry lumber.

How small of a project? I have a small cache of scraps I'll send you,
for postage fees only. First 3 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?details=1

Sonny

How much is the postage on that gator?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi all,
New to the forum.
I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber.

snips

The project is a small gate leg drop leaf that will take about 8 board
feet. I'm in S East Ohio. I know that there are small mills about but don't
actually know where or if they want to bother with the public,
especially for a small quantity.
BF

Check out your local Woodworkers Clubs - they will help you out.
.... probably a few guys in your area with bandsaw mills too -
who might point you in the right direction ..
John T. S. Ontario

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, BF wrote:

I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber. I
wonder if anyone has openions (good or bad) about the following
suppliers.
Or if you have recommendations for your favorite supplier.

Woodcraft has it, but like Constantine's, they're expensive:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...10-Board-Foot-
Lumber-Pack.aspx

I've had good luck with Wall Lumber as well:

http://www.walllumber.com/sho.asp

That's #1 Common, but they also have 20 sq ft bundles of clear:

http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:51:21 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

How much is the postage on that gator?

Probably more expensive than, if, you spent for a week's vacation, down here, and caught her yourself. She's about 1/4 mile from our pond, so she will need to be removed, along with her babies. Papa gator, about 10' long, is in the back slough. He needs to be removed, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2014 11:46 AM, wrote:
Hi all,
New to the forum.
I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber. I
wonder if anyone has openions (good or bad) about the following
suppliers. Or if you have recommendations for your favorite supplier.
Unfortunately my local source had recently gone belly up, so I'm force
to go to the internet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
BF

http://www.constantines.com/
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/

I'd go along with others' opinions on these three.

Suggestion... Have you tried Craigslist for your area. I'm in the NW
suburbs of Chicago and have stumbled across a number of small, out of
the garage, wood sources. While I haven't yet taken a bite of the
apple, the wood and ads looked enticing both for quality and pricing.

A lot depends, too, on what you need and how much work you can do
yourself. Looking for S4 or can you run it through a planer or jointer
in your shop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:47:04 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 6/18/2014 11:46 AM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks again everyone, some more good suggestions.
BF
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Suppliers: Update

wrote in message

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, wrote:

Hi all,
New to the forum.
I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber. I
wonder if anyone has openions (good or bad) about the following
suppliers. Or if you have recommendations for your favorite supplier.
Unfortunately my local source had recently gone belly up, so I'm force
to go to the internet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
BF

http://www.constantines.com/
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/

Craigslist came through. Scored about 30 bdft of nice 4/4 and 6/4
board for $4 / bdft.

You got a decent price. Much better than from any of those you listed, I
am sure.

If you need more in the future and if you live close enough to North
Carolina for shipping costs to make sense, here are a couple I favor.

http://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:12:40 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, I'll hang onto those.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

If you need more in the future and if you live close enough to North
Carolina for shipping costs to make sense, here are a couple I favor.

http://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Second the recommendation of Wall Lumber. They are good people
to deal with.

FWIW, they are north of Greensboro in N Carolina, just a stone's
throw from the Virginia border. Probably a tad too far to drive
from Ohio, but shipping should be reasonable.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 01:37:37 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

If you need more in the future and if you live close enough to North
Carolina for shipping costs to make sense, here are a couple I favor.

http://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Second the recommendation of Wall Lumber. They are good people to deal
with.

I've had good luck with them as well. Even shipping out west, which
doubled the prices, was still lower cost than local. But I bought 100
board feet at a time.