Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rudimentary Wood Working

I had my dad bring me a section of log the other day. Not particular big.
Maybe 7 inches in diameter, and 2 and a half feet long. A neighbor of his
wanted it split in half with flat faces to paint on. Doesn't seem like a
big deal on the face of it, but it turned into a little project. My dad
tried to split it on my bandsaw... that was a mistake. It went bad almost
instantly.

Finally I built an square MDF frame around it, and screwed the frame to the
log. We cut it on the table saw, and then flipped it over and cut it thru
from the other side. There was hardly any ridge n the middle at all, but
there was a nasty bevel on one end of one side from the bandsaw. I set each
half fram ont eh mill, and milled the two pieces flat. Then I removed all
the screws and removed the two log halves from the frames.

Viola!

It got me thinking how much we have gotten dependent on atleast partially
preprocessed wood. I know some of you guys can take a broke off cherry twig
and whittle it into an armoire with a pocket knife, but it still made me
appreciate even rough cut lumber.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

When I was a boy, we didn't even have hand tools, had to use our teeth.
I once made an entire bedroom suite using only my left molars...

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

When I was a boy, we didn't even have hand tools, had to use our
teeth. I once made an entire bedroom suite using only my left
molars...

Well that's all nice if you could afford nice new wood, but we were so poor
that we had to use reclaimed wood and there was no way I was putting those
boards from the old **** house anywhere near my left molars...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I had my dad bring me a section of log the other day. Not particular big.
Maybe 7 inches in diameter, and 2 and a half feet long. A neighbor of his
wanted it split in half with flat faces to paint on. Doesn't seem like a

Sounds like splitting it (maul, wedge, etc.) and planning would work...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:24:31 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I had my dad bring me a section of log the other day. Not particular big.

Maybe 7 inches in diameter, and 2 and a half feet long. A neighbor of his

wanted it split in half with flat faces to paint on. Doesn't seem like a

Sounds like splitting it (maul, wedge, etc.) and planning would work...

That's what I was thinking, and then a scrub plane.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I had my dad bring me a section of log the other day. Not particular big.
Maybe 7 inches in diameter, and 2 and a half feet long. A neighbor of his
wanted it split in half with flat faces to paint on. Doesn't seem like a
big deal on the face of it, but it turned into a little project. My dad
tried to split it on my bandsaw... that was a mistake. It went bad almost
instantly.

Finally I built an square MDF frame around it, and screwed the frame to the
log. We cut it on the table saw, and then flipped it over and cut it thru
from the other side. There was hardly any ridge n the middle at all, but
there was a nasty bevel on one end of one side from the bandsaw. I set each
half fram ont eh mill, and milled the two pieces flat. Then I removed all
the screws and removed the two log halves from the frames.

Viola!

snip

I always wanted to make a viola, but as John said, that would take a
lot of planning.

--
 GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:19:59 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I always wanted to make a viola, but as John said, that would take a
lot of planning.

Maybe you should start with a plain viola?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:19:59 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

You can just buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/Viola-Making-P.../dp/096070485X

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I had my dad bring me a section of log the other day. Not particular big.
Maybe 7 inches in diameter, and 2 and a half feet long. A neighbor of his
wanted it split in half with flat faces to paint on. Doesn't seem like a

Sounds like splitting it (maul, wedge, etc.) and planning would work...

I don't think I have a wedge around anywhere. I suppose I could have used a
hatchet and a hammer. I thought I planned it out pretty well once I took it
over. Planing on the other hand is an option... I think I have a couple
wood planes around somewhere. Actually the mill made a perfect surface for
the art painting the person wanted. I just wasn't crazy about having ANY
sawdust on my mill. Stood there with a vacuum hose the whole time it was
cutting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:44:29 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I had my dad bring me a section of log the other day. Not particular big.

Maybe 7 inches in diameter, and 2 and a half feet long. A neighbor of his

wanted it split in half with flat faces to paint on. Doesn't seem like a

Sounds like splitting it (maul, wedge, etc.) and planning would work...

I don't think I have a wedge around anywhere. I suppose I could have used a

hatchet and a hammer. I thought I planned it out pretty well once I took it

over. Planing on the other hand is an option... I think I have a couple

wood planes around somewhere. Actually the mill made a perfect surface for

the art painting the person wanted. I just wasn't crazy about having ANY

sawdust on my mill. Stood there with a vacuum hose the whole time it was

cutting.

You'll want to use a scrub plane first. If you start with something like a jack plane, you'll be at it a good long while.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:34:43 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
[...]

Now that I think about it, I would use the following sequence: axe, draw knife, scrub plane, jack plane, finish plane.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote:

You'll want to use a scrub plane first. If you start with something
like a jack plane, you'll be at it a good long while.

Time to fire up my Porter Cable "Choo-choo" belt sander equipped
with 3x24, 24 grit belts, some chalk and a straight edge.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have never been all that confident about splitting wood exactly in half with two smooth sides. The closes I have come is cedar and the side were pretty ridged.

Personally I think you accomplished what you set out to do. Sounds like a win to meet.

Real life is different than school. In real life you get to keep taking the test until you get it right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Time to fire up my Porter Cable "Choo-choo" belt sander equipped
with 3x24, 24 grit belts, some chalk and a straight edge.

Chuckle I know what you mean by the choo choo. I have a Milwaukee 4 x 24
that will pull your shoulders out of socket if you use it for long enough
with a 24 grit belt. Oh, and don't forget a stack of belt cleaner erasers!
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote:

Chuckle I know what you mean by the choo choo. I have a Milwaukee
4 x 24 that will pull your shoulders out of socket if you use it for
long enough with a 24 grit belt. Oh, and don't forget a stack of
belt cleaner erasers!

Belt erasers on 24 grit belt is pretty much a waste of time.

The grit looses it's edge long before the belt clogs.

Buy the belts in lots of 30 if you expect a price.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote:

Chuckle I know what you mean by the choo choo. I have a Milwaukee
4 x 24 that will pull your shoulders out of socket if you use it for
long enough with a 24 grit belt. Oh, and don't forget a stack of
belt cleaner erasers!

Belt erasers on 24 grit belt is pretty much a waste of time.

The grit looses it's edge long before the belt clogs.

Buy the belts in lots of 30 if you expect a price.

Lew

Not totally true Lew, you can clean it quite a few times depending on
the wood. Soft woods like pine can clog it real fast. so why replace
what you can clean.

After some point it is cleaning, but not cutting ... replace it. But I
totally disagree that it's a waste of time.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2014 7:26 AM, Morgans wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Ever do any work on fiberglass and you'll understand.

Oh, and I would rather take an *ss woopin than sand fiberglass. I have
learned to hate the stuff! g

My effort at making small fiberglass parts

http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...erglass-parts/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Not totally true Lew, you can clean it quite a few times depending
on the wood. Soft woods like pine can clog it real fast. so why
replace what you can clean.

After some point it is cleaning, but not cutting ... replace it. But
I totally disagree that it's a waste of time.

Cleaning belts is a waste of my time that can better spent
negotiating a price for belts or using belts that still cut cleanly.

Ever do any work on fiberglass and you'll understand.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Time to fire up my Porter Cable "Choo-choo" belt sander equipped
with 3x24, 24 grit belts, some chalk and a straight edge.

Chuckle I know what you mean by the choo choo. I have a Milwaukee 4
x 24 that will pull your shoulders out of socket if you use it for
long enough with a 24 grit belt.

Thanks for clarifying the "choo-choo" reference. I get it now.
Obviously, I don't have a belt sander at this point.

Bill

Oh, and don't forget a stack of belt cleaner erasers! g

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Cleaning belts is a waste of my time that can better spent
negotiating a price for belts or using belts that still cut cleanly.

Ever do any work on fiberglass and you'll understand.

Fiberglass, agree. Kiln dry hardwood, agree. Belts get dull quickly, and
cleaning perhaps more than once is worthless.

Sanding wet softwood clogs a belt with long fibers quickly, IMHO. A couple
quick cleanings is worth the time, I think.

Sanding finish, cleaning often keeps clogging from slowing you down, too.
Long before it loses its sharpness.

Getting lots of belts is a good way to go, though. Nothing like wasting
time with a dull belt.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Morgans wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Time to fire up my Porter Cable "Choo-choo" belt sander equipped
with 3x24, 24 grit belts, some chalk and a straight edge.

Chuckle I know what you mean by the choo choo. I have a Milwaukee 4 x
24 that will pull your shoulders out of socket if you use it for long
enough with a 24 grit belt.

Thanks for clarifying the "choo-choo" reference. I get it now. Obviously,
I don't have a belt sander at this point.

I think in this case it refers to a specific model of PC belt sander that
looks sort of like an old locomotive. Yes Lew?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I think in this case it refers to a specific model of PC belt sander
that looks sort of like an old locomotive. Yes Lew?

You got it.

The PC-504 no longer in production but shown below.

http://tinyurl.com/l4btsra

BTW, mine is for sale if anybody is interested.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On 4/25/2014 7:26 AM, Morgans wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Ever do any work on fiberglass and you'll understand.

Oh, and I would rather take an *ss woopin than sand fiberglass. I have
learned to hate the stuff! g

My effort at making small fiberglass parts

http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...erglass-parts/

Dayum! Looking at your pictures I actually had an olfactory flashback and
could literally smell the fiberglass cloth and resin. Dad and I built an
11', flat bottom, plywood/fiberglass boat for hunting ducks in the Gulf
Coast tidal marshes using the same basic materials some 56 years ago.

Nicely done ...

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

You got it.

The PC-504 no longer in production but shown below.

http://tinyurl.com/l4btsra

BTW, mine is for sale if anybody is interested.

How many amp is that choo choo?
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote:

How many amp is that choo choo?

9 A per nameplate.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in

9 A per nameplate.

I think my Milwaukee is 13. It really does pull like a choo choo. g
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in news:ljfd6o$g16$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in

9 A per nameplate.

I think my Milwaukee is 13. It really does pull like a choo choo. g

Install couplers on it and test it out! I wouldn't be surprised to find it
pulls more than a similarly sized G gauge locomotive.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.