Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BLO...

I left a can of boiled linseed oil open for 3 days. Damn.
I took a diversion the other day and decided to refinish a few hand
planes that I got 10 years ago... wooden ones. I had come across them
in a storage bin while looking for something. I just decided that more
than 10 years is long enough... lets see how they work, and if they work
ok, I would finish them later.... well later was 2 hours after I
determined that there was some promise there.

So I dyed, stained, and put blo over them.. not all at once !!!
Anyway, I just discovered I left the can open for 3 days.

Think that can is trashed? I imagine it will gel up pretty fast... What
do you think?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/22/2014 08:28 AM, woodchucker wrote:
I left a can of boiled linseed oil open for 3 days. Damn.
I took a diversion the other day and decided to refinish a few hand
planes that I got 10 years ago... wooden ones. I had come across them
in a storage bin while looking for something. I just decided that more
than 10 years is long enough... lets see how they work, and if they work
ok, I would finish them later.... well later was 2 hours after I
determined that there was some promise there.

So I dyed, stained, and put blo over them.. not all at once !!!
Anyway, I just discovered I left the can open for 3 days.

Think that can is trashed? I imagine it will gel up pretty fast... What
do you think?

I think I'd poke the skin on top of the finish and pour it off into
another container. You may get some more life out of it yet...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

I left a can of boiled linseed oil open for 3 days. Damn.
I took a diversion the other day and decided to refinish
a few hand planes that I got 10 years ago... wooden ones.
I had come across them in a storage bin while looking for
something. I just decided that more than 10 years is long
enough... lets see how they work, and if they work ok, I
would finish them later.... well later was 2 hours after
I determined that there was some promise there.

So I dyed, stained, and put blo over them.. not all at
once !!! Anyway, I just discovered I left the can open for 3 days.

Think that can is trashed? I imagine it will gel up
pretty fast... What do you think?

Is it gelled now?

If yes, trash it.

If no, put the cap on and don't worry about it.

--

dadiOH