Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another sketchup question

So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside
the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...

So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner.
Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything
away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray..
What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o
having to move things out of the way?

Thank you.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another sketchup question (NEVER MIND)

On 4/15/2014 12:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:
So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside
the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...

So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner.
Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything
away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray..
What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o
having to move things out of the way?

Thank you.

Found a hint to triple click..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 11:56 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Found a hint to triple click..

Not quite the same thing, but something very handy in similar
circumstances, when other groups/components are in the way of drawing or
editing something, Leon turned me on to this handy plugin:

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/co...lect-n-isolate

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 12:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:
So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside
the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...

So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner.
Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything
away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray..
What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o
having to move things out of the way?

Thank y

Found a hint to triple click..

As Swingman has pointed out, the select and isolate plug in works well but
you already need for your selection to be a component. IIRC it only works
if the selection a component. It will make everything except the selected
component

As you have found, triple clicking a group of connected lines will allow
you to select all and then convert into a component. Keep in mind that any
lines that are touching but not intended to be a part on the group of lines
that you want to convert will also be selected. Therefore it is always
best to make a group of lines into a component before beginning another
part/component. It's ok if the component is not complete, you can edit it
separately.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 12:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:
So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside
the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...

So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner.
Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything
away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray..
What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o
having to move things out of the way?

Thank y

Found a hint to triple click..

As Swingman has pointed out, the select and isolate plug in works well but
you already need for your selection to be a component. IIRC it only works
if the selection a component. It will make everything except the selected
component

..
It will make everything except the selected component disappear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Yes, but in my case any touching lines were needed to set the size of
the panel that was being captured by the dadoes and grooves.

I am forcing myself to get better with this... and even for a project I
don't intend to build for a while.. Today's a paint day... so in between
coats... I am working on this...

I have to tell you that this design could have been done off the top of
my head, but Sketchup as pointed out that I needed to rethink it. So
looking at it, I did get the idea, my clearances were not adequate...

You and Swingy made me realize I need to get with the program..

I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to
see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I
still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this
time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 1:35 PM, Leon wrote:

As Swingman has pointed out, the select and isolate plug in works well but
you already need for your selection to be a component. IIRC it only works
if the selection a component. It will make everything except the selected
component

.
It will make everything except the selected component disappear.

Do you mean "component", or entity?

As you know, in Sketchup "component" has a pretty specific definition,
which can be confusing.

On my system the plugin can be used to isolate any _selected_ "group",
"component", and/or an entity - like a selected line/edge, face, and
even guide lines and dimensions, and selected combinations thereof.

I find I use it constantly now that your turned me on to it; especially
when modeling rooms that have a lot of cabinets and other items that
need to be re-sized to fit a change ... I can use guide lines to mark
out the boundary's of the changes first, then isolate the selections and
guide lines together and model the isolated entity to those extents.

For those listening in, it basically it uses the "Hide" function in a
reverse fashion ... it "hides" everything that is not selected. You can
also "reveal" all previously isolated entities with the "unhide"
function, not just by going back to the context menu.

The plugin also seems to work much better on my system in SU 2014 than
in 2013. I think there were some under-the-hood changes in 2014 relating
to OpenGL that makes it play better with my graphics subsystem.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 1:52 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to
see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I
still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this
time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...

Bingo ... since getting proficient with SU, and learning to "build" the
item/project in SU before walking out to the shop, it's so rare that I
change anything in midstream any longer that its literally been years
since doing so.

Not only saving a ton of time, but beaucoup material.

Not to mention the increase in the ability to accurately, and I mean
ACCURATELY, bid a project, no matter how small or large.

Coupled with CutList Plus (without or without its plugin) ... ain't
nothing like it.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a
separator panel inside the dados.. but the panel is
surrounded all around and is not an edge...
So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner.
Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to
move everything away to select it, I have tried hiding,
xray.. What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all
the edges w/o having to move things out of the way?

Thank you.

Make it into a component before you draw other stuff touching it..

Another way is to draw what you want to make into a component away from
everything else, make it a component and then move it where you want it.

Barring those, you could use layers...draw one thing on a new layer...draw
something else on a different new layer. Hide either layer and you can
easily select what's left to make it a component. Making components as you
go is easier

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 3:57 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Have not worked in layers yet.
Maybe a little later.. still a newbie at this.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 9:22 AM, woodchucker wrote:
So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside
the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...

So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner.
Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.

In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything
away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray..
What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o
having to move things out of the way?

As has already been mentioned, you can use triple clicking to select all
of the connected pieces of your panel. If the things that are around
your panel are already components then they will not be selected when
you triple click on the panel.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2014 3:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Have not worked in layers yet.
Maybe a little later.. still a newbie at this.

Although Layers can be handy (and essential to work flow in modeling
construction/fabrication projects), be aware that Layers can cause major
frustration, especially if you start the practice of drawing on specific
layers only.

An essential rule to follow, and the absolute best way to use Layers
when modeling in SU, is to first assemble your geometry into either
groups and/or components on Layer 0, and then assign those, ONLY after
they have been grouped/made into a component, to a specific layer.

As familiar as I am with SU modeling on a daily basis, I occasionally
get bit by this and it can be difficult and time consuming to correct,
even on even small, uncomplicated models; and especially deadly on
complicated models with lots of groups and component parts.

Here, found this that explains it quicker than I can type it. Copy it
somewhere and put it your saddlebags for later, you will be glad you did:

quote

How To Avoid Problems with Layers in Google Sketchup
(by Adrian Chopra)

~ Do all your modeling on Layer0. Keeping all your loose geometry
(thats not part of a group or component) together in one place is the
only way to make sure that you dont end up with edges and faces all
over the place. SketchUp, unfortunately, lets you put geometry on
whatever layer you want, which means that you can end up with a face on
one layer, and one or more of the edges that define it on another. When
that happens, its next to impossible to work out where everything belongs.

~ Dont move anything but groups and components to other layers. If
youre going to use layers, follow this rule: Never put anything on a
layer other than Layer0 unless its a group or a component. Doing so
ensures that you dont end up with stray edges and faces on separate layers.

~ Use layers to organize big groups of similar things. More complicated
SketchUp models often include things like trees, furniture, cars, and
people. These kinds of things are almost always already components, so
theyre perfect candidates for being kept on separate layers.

~ Dont use layers to organize interconnected geometry; use the Outliner
instead. Interconnected geometry means things like building floor levels
and staircases. These model parts arent meant to be physically separate
from other parts like vehicles and people are.

~ Feel free to use layers to iterate. Iteration is the process of doing
multiple versions of the same thing. Lots of designers work this way to
figure out problems and present different options to their clients.
Using layers is a great way to iterate: You can move each version of the
thing youre working on to a different layer, and then turn them on and
off to show each in turn. Just remember to follow the rule about using
groups and components only on separate layers (mentioned previously),
and youll be fine.

/quote

As one who uses Layers in every model, I can't emphasize just how
important it is to follow the above guide lines when working with layers.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/15/2014 1:35 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

IIRC it only works on a component or maybe a group. I might have that
confused with something else. I'll double check that.

I created a short cut key to invoke the command to hide unselected. I use
the short cut key again to reverse the action. It works as a toggle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

It is far better to work out design ideas and problems on the computer than
in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Try assembling the dadoed rails and styles and be certain that they are
components. Draw a rectangle the size of only the opening using the actual
rails and stiles intersection points as your guide. Then pull the
rectangle the appropriate width of the dado. Then lengthen and widen the
panel by pulling again to enlarge it enough to fill the bottoms of the
dados. Triple click and make the panel into a component. Now move the
panel the appropriate direction and distance to fit inside the dados.

I am forcing myself to get better with this... and even for a project I
don't intend to build for a while.. Today's a paint day... so in between
coats... I am working on this...

I have to tell you that this design could have been done off the top of
my head, but Sketchup as pointed out that I needed to rethink it. So
looking at it, I did get the idea, my clearances were not adequate...

You and Swingy made me realize I need to get with the program..

I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to
see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I
still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this
time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 12:44 AM, Leon wrote:

IIRC it only works on a component or maybe a group. I might have that
confused with something else. I'll double check that.

Might have been an earlier version ... the latest version, 11/2013

"This plugin will allow you to isolate selected items by hiding the
remaining visible entities in the scene. These items can be any
selectable entity in your model: faces, edges, groups, components,
dimensions, etc.}"

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 1:57 AM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Yep, been doing that, just couldn't figure out how to make it a component.

I don't use groups any longer, you and Swingman got me using components.
I have to start regularly using this tool, because for the few times I
have tried, I have too long a gap between, so I forget a lot of what I
pick up.

This was interesting to see that my clearances were not going to be
enough... I normally don't get that spatial sense when looking at a
diagram, this time I did. While it looked fine, when I measured it was
too close...

I am forcing myself to get better with this... and even for a project I
don't intend to build for a while.. Today's a paint day... so in between
coats... I am working on this...

I have to tell you that this design could have been done off the top of
my head, but Sketchup as pointed out that I needed to rethink it. So
looking at it, I did get the idea, my clearances were not adequate...

You and Swingy made me realize I need to get with the program..

I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to
see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I
still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this
time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/15/2014 1:35 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

OK I verified! You are correct, the select and isolate works on any
thing basically. For some reason I was under the impression that it
only worked on a component or group.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 8:33 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/16/2014 1:57 AM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Good! I'm glad you understood that explanation. LOL

Consider this too. I have not yet tried this but I think it might be
easier drawing the door panel, actually in place and to exact size, if
you use the section tool to expose the inner sections of the frame work
and exposing the dado's. I'll look into that.

I don't use groups any longer, you and Swingman got me using components.
I have to start regularly using this tool, because for the few times I
have tried, I have too long a gap between, so I forget a lot of what I
pick up.

I will use groups to group components together. I often will want to
see what a paneled door would look like if it were opened. It is easier
to group the rails and stiles and center panel together to pivot open
instead of having to select each component to do this. This is handy
for moving other groupings also.

This was interesting to see that my clearances were not going to be
enough... I normally don't get that spatial sense when looking at a
diagram, this time I did. While it looked fine, when I measured it was
too close...

Precisely! The ability to look at a drawing from multiple angles is a
valuable tool for verification purposes

I am forcing myself to get better with this... and even for a project I
don't intend to build for a while.. Today's a paint day... so in between
coats... I am working on this...

I have to tell you that this design could have been done off the top of
my head, but Sketchup as pointed out that I needed to rethink it. So
looking at it, I did get the idea, my clearances were not adequate...

You and Swingy made me realize I need to get with the program..

I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to
see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I
still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this
time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 8:57 AM, Leon wrote:

For some reason I was under the impression that it only worked on a
component or group.

I believe it did when we first started using it. AAMOF, if I remember
right it used to squawk at you if what you selected wasn't a group or
component.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another sketchup question (Outliner?)

Do your use Outliner much?

I didn't pay too much attention to Outliner at the beginning, but I use
the hell out of it now. Especially on big models when I want to hide a
bunch of groups/components, or rename and organize groups and components
better.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 10:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
Do your use Outliner much?

I didn't pay too much attention to Outliner at the beginning, but I use
the hell out of it now. Especially on big models when I want to hide a
bunch of groups/components, or rename and organize groups and components
better.

If you are asking me.. No, still too new to this. Not sure what it is or
does.

Still working on the basics, still trying to be comfortable building
with it... but definetly getting better.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 1:57 AM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Actually that works great! If you have not used the section tool
remember that you can move it to expose more hidden layers, the dado. I
was able to draw a rectangle inside the exposed dado's and pull it the
thickness needed and I was done. I just had to convert it into a
component. I eliminated having to expand the panel to the correct
length and width and I did not have to move it into place since it was
drawn to correct size in the place it would end up to begin with.

Now if I can only remember to do this in the future! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
Do your use Outliner much?

I didn't pay too much attention to Outliner at the beginning, but I use
the hell out of it now. Especially on big models when I want to hide a
bunch of groups/components, or rename and organize groups and components
better.

I use to keep it open all of the time, I confess, I forget why.

On another note did you see my short cut procedure I just verified with
woodchucker concerning drawing and positioning a center panel inside a
door frame using the section tool?? Big time and step saver.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 1:57 AM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Section tool? I have to check that out. Offset or section... I use the
offset a lot...
Funny I was making a hole in a ply plate, and used the offset to draw it.
then pushed it back down through the ply... from the top it looked all
the way through. From the bottom no...
Hmmmmm.
over and over I struggled. Finally highlighted the hole, and hit
delete... BINGO.. not everything works as expected, but there seems to
be a way. Not always so intuitive... especially zooming... I find I
have to go to the other side of the view to zoom out to re-center, so I
can get to the piece I want to see. If I just put my mouse over the area
I want to bring in, I still can't see the rest of that.. so goto the
other side, zoom out, then mouse to the center of what I want to see and
zoom in... I know I can do shift middle and drag, but that is a pain
sometimes, too many operations.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 1:57 AM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Section tool. IIRC it is a group of tools that you might have to select
to show up from the View/Toolbars window.

You select the section tool and click it on a surface, it will
immediately show a larger see through but bordered window on the surface
that you clicked. Next select the border of that section window and
move it toward the object. For small movements you will probably have
to zoom in. If you do this right it will make the object/component
appear to have been run through the planer several times to expose the
insides of the pieces.

Extremely easy to use once you understand the concept. When I took
drafting in school many many years ago we had to draw the section plane
and draw what we imagined to be the look inside the part had we sliced
away a section.

Hmmmmm.
over and over I struggled. Finally highlighted the hole, and hit
delete... BINGO.. not everything works as expected, but there seems to
be a way. Not always so intuitive... especially zooming... I find I
have to go to the other side of the view to zoom out to re-center, so I
can get to the piece I want to see. If I just put my mouse over the area
I want to bring in, I still can't see the rest of that.. so goto the
other side, zoom out, then mouse to the center of what I want to see and
zoom in... I know I can do shift middle and drag, but that is a pain
sometimes, too many operations.

Just stick with it. It will get easier and easier. I am continuously
finding faster and easier ways to do things. Just like the section
plane i mentioned above. That just came to me this last night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

This was interesting to see that my clearances were not
going to be enough... I normally don't get that spatial
sense when looking at a diagram, this time I did. While
it looked fine, when I measured it was too close...

You are aware that the measurement reported depends upon the precision you
have set in "Model Info", right?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 10:59 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote in message

This was interesting to see that my clearances were not
going to be enough... I normally don't get that spatial
sense when looking at a diagram, this time I did. While
it looked fine, when I measured it was too close...

You are aware that the measurement reported depends upon the precision you
have set in "Model Info", right?

Yes I am.
Thanks.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 2:11 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:

And while I'm harping on the 3d warehouse, I also want to add:

Make the object to scale. I hate importing something like a
soap dispenser into my bathroom mock-up, and finding it's 25
feet tall.

Delete the extraneous geometry, don't just make it invisible.

Center it properly on the axes. For example, a lamp should have
the origin at the base, so it's easy to position on a table.

Purge unused colors, unused styles, and unused components from
the model before uploading.

LOL ... feel your pain. Imported a kitchen sink the other day that was
the size of an Olympic swimming pool.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 2:04 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article , dadiOH wrote:

Make it into a component before you draw other stuff touching it..

Or a group. Groups are a little simpler.

But either way, very much this. The moment any piece or sub-piece of
geometry is "finished", you should immediately group it. The contents
of a group are immune to further modification, so nothing bad happens
when you connect other geometry to it.

Actually while you probably meant to say that the contents of a group
are relatively safe from being inadvertently manipulated. You can
indeed modify a group and or its contents.

The biggest difference I see between a group and a component is that a
group can't be saved, like a component, for future use in other drawings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 2:05 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:
On 4/15/2014 3:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Have not worked in layers yet.
Maybe a little later.. still a newbie at this.

Although Layers can be handy (and essential to work flow in modeling
construction/fabrication projects), be aware that Layers can cause major
frustration, especially if you start the practice of drawing on specific
layers only.

An essential rule to follow, and the absolute best way to use Layers
when modeling in SU, is to first assemble your geometry into either
groups and/or components on Layer 0, and then assign those, ONLY after
they have been grouped/made into a component, to a specific layer.

Agreed.

As familiar as I am with SU modeling on a daily basis, I occasionally
get bit by this and it can be difficult and time consuming to correct,
even on even small, uncomplicated models; and especially deadly on
complicated models with lots of groups and component parts.

Somebody should write a plug-in that recursively sets everything
you select to Layer0

Do you find that everything you select and changing the layer/s of the
selection in the Entity window too much trouble? This is how I change
the layers of objects when I forget to draw in the correct layer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/15/2014 3:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:

quote

How To Avoid Problems with Layers in Google Sketchup
(by Adrian Chopra)

[generally excellent advice snipped]

One more point: when designing a component to be uploaded
to the 3d warehouse, put *everything* into layer0. Don't define
any layers at all. If the end-user wants to put the object into
a layer, they'll do it themself.

And while I'm harping on the 3d warehouse, I also want to add:

Make the object to scale. I hate importing something like a
soap dispenser into my bathroom mock-up, and finding it's 25
feet tall.

LOL, no kidding! I often wonder what they were doing when they drew
those small objects.

BUT then again, about 18 months ago I was designing a display cabinet to
mount a 1/100 scale model of an Antonov 124. Strangely enough a scale
model of the customers airplane was available. Imagine my surprise when
I imported it to add to my display drawing to present to the customer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 5:03 PM, Leon wrote:

The biggest difference I see between a group and a component is that a
group can't be saved, like a component, for future use in other drawings.

That, and "components" save a ****load of space in the .skp file versus
"groups", as well as favorably impact perceived response/speed when
modeling.

Each iteration of a "group" is saved individually in the .skp file on
the drive; only one instance of a "component" is saved in the .skp file,
and that one instance is used for every iteration of that component
displayed in the model.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 7:19 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/16/2014 5:03 PM, Leon wrote:

The biggest difference I see between a group and a component is that a
group can't be saved, like a component, for future use in other drawings.

That, and "components" save a ****load of space in the .skp file versus
"groups", as well as favorably impact perceived response/speed when
modeling.

Each iteration of a "group" is saved individually in the .skp file on
the drive; only one instance of a "component" is saved in the .skp file,
and that one instance is used for every iteration of that component
displayed in the model.

I knew it went something like that, the saving of file space using
components. But I never realized it worked like that.

Now, do you suppose components inside a group are just as economical on
storage space/memory? Or do you suppose the groupings of components add up?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 5:03 PM, Leon wrote:

The biggest difference I see between a group and a component is that a
group can't be saved, like a component, for future use in other drawings.

That, and "components" save a ****load of space in the .skp file versus
"groups", as well as favorably impact perceived response/speed when
modeling.

Each iteration of a "group" is saved individually in the .skp file on
the drive; only one instance of a "component" is saved in the .skp file,
and that one instance is used for every iteration of that component
displayed in the model.

I knew it went something like that, the saving of file space using
components. But I never realized it worked like that.

Now, do you suppose components inside a group are just as economical on
storage space/memory? Or do you suppose the groupings of components add up?

If I understand the question, yes. In my understanding, basically it is the
copies of groups that add significantly to the overhead. If you only need
one brick in your model, making it either a group or component won't have
an impact. But if you need a thousand, making it a component instead of a
group will reduce the overhead. IME, the file size issue is less noticeable
than the impact on performance.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 5:03 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Ok. So I guess it is best to hold groups to a minimum.

I wonder what advantage there is to using groups rather than components
other than having an additional number of named components in the drawing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2014 5:03 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I as a rule never make a "single part" into a group vs. a component. I
do however often make a group of components into a group vs. a component.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2014 8:53 AM, Leon wrote:

Ok. So I guess it is best to hold groups to a minimum.

No, _copies_ of groups.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2014 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

I do however often make a group of components into a group vs. a component.

Nothing wrong with that ... AAMOF, that is exactly how "Dynamic
Components" are made, with "nested" components.

IOW, a "DC" Base Cabinet is a component, comprised of sub components for
the stiles, rails, end panels, etc.

This allows them to be re-sized programatically while maintaining
certain dimensions, as well and axis positions.

IOW, the component "rail", inside Dynamic Component "Wall Cabinet" (a
collection of its (nested) component parts) can be re-sized (SCALED) in
length, without affecting it's width and thickness, as well as it's
relation, in axis, to other component).

Try to "scale" with a "Group", which can't be programmed to be dynamic,
and all the parts will change in dimension in proportion to the amount
of "scale" imparted.

You may remember that one of the first things I did when I got the Pro
version of SU was to immediately start programming "Dynamic Components"
for kitchen base and wall cabinets so I could populate existing space
for both new construction and remodeling without having to draw
different sized cabinets.

While these initial dynamic components are still handy for my use, the
sketchUp 3D model world is now full of these things, most sophisticated
way beyond my programming abilities/time to mess with it.

You already know this, but for those paying attention to the thread
looking for more information, the below will be helpful to save for
their future use.

(Don't know where this came from/who to attribute to, but it is in my
SketchUp EverNote file):

quote

~Groups:

A collection of faces and edges within a model that are isolated from
other parts of the model.

Anything protected in a group cannot by affected by any geometry outside
of that group.

To manipulate faces or edges within a group, or to add geometry to a
group, that group must first be activated by double clicking on it.

If you draw a shape on something that is in a group, it wont stick to
the object unless you open the group first.

Groups can contain loose geometry, guides, section planes, dimensions,
text, or other groups.

Groups can be manipulated as an assembly. (Move, rotate, scale, paint,
copy, etc)

Groups have their own independent 3-axis from the rest of the model, and
it can be reoriented

Copies of groups are independent from one another. Once a copy is made,
any changes made to one instance of that group do NOT affect the other
copies of that group.

~Components:

Similar to groups, except that each copy of a component remains
identical to its original. Any changes made to an instance of a
component are automatically reflected to each instance of that component.

Using Components for multiple copies of the same object within a model
increases the performance of Sketchup when compared to using groups to
do the same thing. Thats because Sketchup only has to define a
component one time, whereas with groups, Sketchup has to define each and
every group even if each group is technically identical.

Components can be saved independently from the current model and
imported into other models. If you make any changes to the component,
you can update the reference in any models youve imported it into.

You can assign a gluing plane to components. A gluing plane allows the
component to automatically orient itself onto the face of the object you
are moving it to. For example, if you had a component of a picture
frame, you would want it to be placed flat on a wall. Depending upon
which wall you place the component on, you would have to rotate the
picture 90° and reposition it onto the wall. By defining a gluing plane,
the component will automatically rotate as you move it so that it is
oriented properly to whichever wall you are moving it to.

Components can be configured to always face the camera. When you first
open Sketchup, youll notice how the person inside every default model
always faces you, even as you orbit around the model. You can assign
this property to components too.

If you want to make an instance of a component unique from its
counterparts, you can right click it, and select Make Unique.

/quote

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Sketchup Question mcp6453[_2_] Woodworking 35 July 22nd 13 10:50 PM
SketchUp Question Bill Woodworking 102 January 9th 10 03:44 PM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 58 October 11th 09 10:23 PM
Sketchup question notbob Woodworking 49 June 5th 09 01:53 AM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 0 March 8th 09 02:57 PM